Join Early Retirement Today

Less than a year...
Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Less than a year...

Planning on retiring May/June of next year. Well--sort of retiring since I have several rental properties and do most of the work on these.

Biggest issue is wife is supporting me in wanting to build a workshop/garage. Hate the idea of borrowing to pay for it but rates are so darn good right now I hate to pull from any investments. Looking at "pay as you go" and being my own general contractor. Don't think neighbors or city would appreciate a 2 year project though. Anyone here relate to that?

Most funds are with brokerage. Big 401K at work. Some other stock. Investment (non rental) properties. Wife is doing part time work but they are talking about moving her to full time and she enjoys it now that she doesn't do management or care about advancement.

Work is asking about me doing contract labor. Might do it. Certain freedom to not HAVING to do it has made tasks a little more enjoyable. Would have stayed until 55 if they would have given me more vacation time instead of money.

Bit worried about healthcare costs. Looked at some costs/budgeting but the numbers never seem concrete. Arkansas has some special deal about its healthcare so even the regular ACA rules are not all in effect here.

ArkTinkerer
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, Welcome to the Forum. I can relate the Healthcare concern. And I can definitely relate to the "not enough vacation" time statement !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote