Like Lemmings over a cliff...

Chinaco,

I realize "it all depends". Every decesion we make in life "all depends".

What I am asking of Andy H is that he state his assumptions and qualifiers and what his decision/s are based on those assumptions and qualifiers.

I also would be very suspicious of any pat answer wihout the foundation on how it was arrived. But I am also suspicious of politicians who speak a lot of words but say nothing.

I know. No Offense intended.

Andy was getting a little worked over by some of us... a little too bold too quick just because of his profession. For some reason we tend to shift into challenge mode when a pro enters the ranks. A lot of posturing. Heck we will run the poor guy off... and he hasn't even made it out of the "Hi I Am" Introduction forum.

I know. No Offense intended.

Andy was getting a little worked over by some of us... a little too bold too quick just because of his profession. For some reason we tend to shift into challenge mode when a pro enters the ranks. A lot of posturing. Heck we will run the poor guy off... and he hasn't even made it out of the "Hi I Am" Introduction forum.

I don't think it is that. I think, if he is real, that he didn't really say anything and when asked something, didn't say anything again.

Most of the people on this board are very respectful of others input, but you have to put something in.

Well to be fair, Andy does have a point about life insurance. It can enable tax-free withdrawals when done correctly.

So, my show me mentality wonders if the increased fees of insurance investments don't take away all of the benefit (and more) of the tax break. I can see how a financial planner would like something like this. But I would really like to see a formal analysis showing the cost-benefit trade off. If the insurance/agent is going to suck up a couple of percentage points of my gain every year I would find it really hard to believe that there is any real benefit to insurance as opposed to other investments.

Barnyard analogy

Andy: You are like a slop salesman on a hog farm. Everyone is interested in you. So this little piggy has a question: How do you feel about using eft's as a way to invest? I'm particularly concerning about the proliferation of eft products based on narrow indices.

Here's where Andy H lets you know he's not "sooo sensitive...". Some brilliant posts thusfar and it's been a hoot watching most of you "posture". I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.

For those of you instantly devaluing anything I might offer and opting for the "mine's bigger" approach, best of luck to you. You know you can also buy nearly every ingredient for any prescriptions you're taking during your retirement years...right off the internet and mix your own drugs. You'll probably wind up saving a ship full of money...or you could kill yourself.

I'm sure you'll have fun with this one as I tune out, watch, and laugh...

Don't be so angry, you'll enjoy life much more - with or without money!

Here's where Andy H lets you know he's not "sooo sensitive...". Some brilliant posts thusfar and it's been a hoot watching most of you "posture". I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.

For those of you instantly devaluing anything I might offer and opting for the "mine's bigger" approach, best of luck to you. You know you can also buy nearly every ingredient for any prescriptions you're taking during your retirement years...right off the internet and mix your own drugs. You'll probably wind up saving a ship full of money...or you could kill yourself.

Heh, looks like we killed another one, since he cannot be bothered to answer direct questions.

Exit, stage right...

Heh, looks like we killed another one, since he cannot be bothered to answer direct questions.
Exit, stage right...
Maybe we should match Andy H up with the right customers. Isn't Rob Bennett in need of financial advice?

Andy,

I was quick to come to your support re: your early victimization here and frankly felt embarrassed by some of the rabid posts aimed your way. I posted a supportive reply early on because I felt the reactions of some here were excessive and rude. I got a few private messages praising that action.

The smugness you are displaying here make me wonder if I did the right thing. I don't pretend to know your intentions but this kind of message serves only to provoke and troll. The critics obviously got to you.

Only time will tell if this is a good fit.

Andy, most people here made their millions without a financial advisor, and most have friends/relatives or their own story about F.A.'s who swindled them with high fee, variable annuity B.S. funds use to enrich themselves. You also praised the biggest scam artist of them all, Robert Kiyosaki, who despite all his claims of being a real estate genius, owned a total of two properties when he was first schilling his books, and got his start warming up the crowd for a previous infomercial huckster. Now you tell a bunch of people who have no trouble managing their finances that you'll laugh at them as they fail without your expertise, and after all that, you have failed to post your first post offering "insight".

But this crowd is a forgiving sort. Just join in on any thread with your opinion, and don't take the fact that you are being challenged on your opinions personally. This is a pretty BS free zone, and the members work hard to make you prove you aren't changing that.

I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.......

I've always been quite willing to give everyone a chance to prove themselves, before I made any judgment call on them. Your posts offered little content, and as Brewer said, you've not bothered to answer any direct questions. It's pretty much made you look like a troll. And I would say that your statement above removes all doubt.

Trolls fit in well in fairy tales, but that's not the case with retirement forums. You say that your "role here will be entertainment from this point forward", but might I suggest a much different role that you'll actually be filling. That role will be to fill a spot that is currently vacant on the "Ignore List".

Have a good day, Andy H! :D

Andy, most people here made their millions without a financial advisor, and most have friends/relatives or their own story about F.A.'s who swindled them with high fee, variable annuity B.S. funds use to enrich themselves. You also praised the biggest scam artist of them all, Robert Kiyosaki, who despite all his claims of being a real estate genius, owned a total of two properties when he was first schilling his books, and got his start warming up the crowd for a previous infomercial huckster. Now you tell a bunch of people who have no trouble managing their finances that you'll laugh at them as they fail without your expertise, and after all that, you have failed to post your first post offering "insight".

But this crowd is a forgiving sort. Just join in on any thread with your opinion, and don't take the fact that you are being challenged on your opinions personally. This is a pretty BS free zone, and the members work hard to make you prove you aren't changing that.

Hey 'financedude' survived the financial advisor hazing so there is hope. Then again, Fd had a much different approach ;).

Put on da brakes!

Have a good day, Andy H! :D

You guys just need to lighten up! He said he was a financial planner. Some asked some questions about his opinion, he replied nicely and with depth in his answers. Some didn't like his answers, and then the sharks attacked.

Isn't retirement about going with the flow? If you made your living providing advise for a fee, would you give it away free? And if you did, would you hang around and take abuse about it:confused:

. . . Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

-- Rita (not retired yet -- but soon!)

If you made your living providing advise for a fee, would you give it away free? And if you did, would you hang around and take abuse about it:confused:

. . .

This board is all about giving information and insights for free. Aside from the fact that he likely has nothing of value to give to any of us, it remains true that this board is not supposed to be used for commercial interests.

So if he wants to talk about his photo hobby, great! If he wants to brag what a good Dad he is, great! But if people ask him general questions about his supposed area of expertise and he doesn't give helpful answers, he doesn't belong here.

Check out Martha, Rich and Brewer among many others who really do have valuable information, and share it quite freely.

Ha

Hey 'financedude' survived the financial advisor hazing so there is hope. ;).

Hazing, fraternity, sophomoric! I don't need a bunch of goofballs censoring what I read. I reread the thread and I think the attacks were uncalled for and did not add anything to the thread. If I don't agree with what someone says I at least try to present a counter argument. If you are afraid someone is going to shatter your beliefs use your ignore button. What you don't know can't hurt you. You'll still be "right" in your little world.

AndyH,
Laurencewill stated it very well. My sentiments exactly.

I have been badly burned in the past by stock brokers and FAs that professed to have my best interst in mind. One was at least honest enough to tell me I had to watch him because he had a habit of churning when he was in need of money.

In spite of their manipulation, my DW and I became FI by LBYM. I still seek and accept advice, but I become a little nervous when I feel their hand in my pocket that contains my wallet.

As I stated earlier, you can bring some good insight to this forum as long as you are straight with us.

Andy H. I believe you have caught a number of us on our worst behavior.

I think part of the problem with these boards is that quick written notes do not alway convey the complete meaning. You cannot see the expression of ones face, the voice inflection, etc... all of the things that set the tone for a message. I know a few of the comments were written with the intent of a light hearted joke.

Others were a bit out of line. Regardless the the rationalizations stated after the fact.

One other thing to consider. Many of the comments you see here are not indicative of the community at large.

Your profession and Insurance Agents are two that are rife with marginally competent people (order takers that say words) and in some cases out and out miscreants out to take advantage of people. This has given those industries/professions a bad reputation.

However, you will often see a number of us glued to those CFP Journal articles trying to glean a better understanding of how to approach some aspect of FI and retirement.

So, I welcome your perspective. I am sure you have a thing or two to teach all of us. There are quite a number of people here that will benefit from your perspective.

You guys just need to lighten up! He said he was a financial planner. Some asked some questions about his opinion, he replied nicely and with depth in his answers. Some didn't like his answers, and then the sharks attacked.

Horse Pucky. This bozo swanned in, told us he was a inancial planner who just knows so much about personal finance, and then proceeds to be smug and refuse to answer direct questions with anything other than vague generalities.

He deserved the spanking he got.

He said he was a financial planner. Some asked some questions about his opinion, he replied nicely and with depth in his answers.

We have the option to boldface, italize, underline, even [-]strikeout[/-]. But I have yet to find the option to make text invisible. What's the secret command?

Back
Top Bottom