Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Hazing, fraternity, sophomoric! I don't need a bunch of goofballs censoring what I read. I reread the thread and I think the attacks were uncalled for and did not add anything to the thread. If I don't agree with what someone says I at least try to present a counter argument. If you are afraid someone is going to shatter your beliefs use your ignore button. What you don't know can't hurt you. You'll still be "right" in your little world.
In that case we will leave all the spam on the board and allow trolls to stir up as many discussions as possible.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
In that case we will leave all the spam on the board and allow trolls to stir up as many discussions as possible.
Speaking of trolls stirring up discussions, did he just call you a goofball?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #83

It's moderator goofball, thank you.

I often joke and people don't seem to pick up. That is to be expected on the net. Oh well, I woud quit but the benefit package as a mod is hard to resist.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I often joke and people don't seem to pick up. That is to be expected on the net. Oh well, I woud quit but the benefit package as a mod is hard to resist.
Actually, it should be....
Your Most Royal Highness Moderator Goofball.

Benefits? Nobody said nothing 'bout no benefits when I was drafted volunteered for this job.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone know the rules for "moderator goofball"? Are they similar to basketball?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Absolutely, I stand corrected!

The multiplier factor of your moderator's bonus is inversely proportional to the subtlety of your humor. At least that's the way Dory used to determine our shares of the moderator bonus pool. It was tough sledding because Laurence was always hogging the biggest factor, something he claimed to have developed through his co-workers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

No dribbling? No double-dribble?... need I go on?

-CC
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #88
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Moderator goofball? Yes it has rules.

If you want to know them, you'll need to send a cashiers check ...

Just in case you wondered about the uniform... the hemline stipulations were removed last year, the weight of velcro used is still regulated, and the team discount on protective padding is awesome!

Wanna join the team?
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Actually, it should be....
Your Most Royal Highness Moderator Goofball.

Benefits? Nobody said nothing 'bout no benefits when I was drafted volunteered for this job.
Now I will know who they are talking about when someone refers to the MRHMG.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Absolutely, I stand corrected!

The multiplier factor of your moderator's bonus is inversely proportional to the subtlety of your humor. At least that's the way Dory used to determine our shares of the moderator bonus pool. It was tough sledding because Laurence was always hogging the biggest factor, something he claimed to have developed through his co-workers...

Does that mean I was subtle? I'm confused! My co-workers are 29 year old nerd gamers who can make any statement have Senator Craigish innuendo....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #91
Dryer sheet aficionado

ANDY H: "Hi folks, I'm...a financial advisor...I'm not here for clients, just thought I'd be fair about my background and thus, perspective."

Andy, I'm sure you are a nice, informed, professional, but in the interest of perspective it is fair to point out what a "financial advisor ("FA")" is not: an FA is not a Certified Financial Planner with training; initial education requirement; professional license exam; continuing education requirement; and experience requirement, thus qualifying the CFP Board designee to perform comprehensive financial planning.

Nor, is an FA a Chartered Financial Analyst, who is an individual that has successfully competed a rigorous education and experience evolution qualifying the holder to perform the duties of a financial analyst.

Other designations include Registered Investment Advisor ("RIA"), which is anyone "who, for compensation, engages in the business of advising others, either directly or through publications or writing, as to the value of securities or as to the advisability of investing in, purchasing, or selling securities,...or promulgates analyses or reports concerning securities," as required, exceptions and exemptions noted, under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. The only requirement to be met in order to procure an RIA is registration with the SEC.

Of course there are what most think of as "stock brokers," but, who recently have assumed infinite permutations of the alphabet for many reasons, some of us suspect, in order to obscure the fact that their one claim to expertise is that they are professional salespersons, specializing in selling securites, and at most have passed one or several exams, of the Series, 6, 7, 22, 62, 63, 65, 66 variety.

Other designations include insurance professionals with their ChFC or CLU and CPA's with special training in personal financial services (my personal favorite because of their tax perspective).

P.S. Is/was it non-conservative or unconventional to invest money held in a fiduciary capacity in CDO's or other various and sundry bifurcated tranches of mortgage backed securites and their derivitives?

"Nobody cares more about your money than you do."
hayekcapitalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Only if you are calculating the first derivative
Old 09-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #92
Dryer sheet aficionado

Only if you are calculating the first derivative

The first derivative or f(x)= dy/dx, which gives you the rate of change for a curvilinear function such as a parabola which is representative of an exponential function. Otherwise, in the flatland of linearity, there is one and only line that is defined by any two points and that line is the shortest "distance" between the two collinear points.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayekcapitalist View Post
The first derivative or f(x)= dy/dx, which gives you the rate of change for a curvilinear function such as a parabola which is representative of an exponential function. Otherwise, in the flatland of linarity, there is one and only line that is defined by any two points and that line is the shortest "distance" between the two collinear points.
I prefer a slope when I can find one...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #94

Quote:
The first derivative or f(x)= dy/dx, which gives you the rate of change for a curvilinear function such as a parabola which is representative of an exponential function. Otherwise, in the flatland of linearity, there is one and only line that is defined by any two points and that line is the shortest "distance" between the two collinear points.
So, will this get me the guaranteed to win lottery numbers? :confused::confused::confused:
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry, the lottery is for math illiterates

Dimples: It won't help you pick the winning numbers in a game of chance, it will help you understand that money compounds in a geometric progression rather than linear, which is why getting started today with an investing program is so important...theory has its place, especially when it removes some of the mystery from things that we comprehend intuitively but cannot explain.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ANDY H: "Hi folks, I'm...a financial advisor...I'm not here for clients, just thought I'd be fair about my background and thus, perspective."

Andy, I'm sure you are a nice, informed, professional, but in the interest of perspective it is fair to point out what a "financial advisor ("FA")" is not: an FA is not a Certified Financial Planner with training; initial education requirement; professional license exam; continuing education requirement; and experience requirement, thus qualifying the CFP Board designee to perform comprehensive financial planning.
An FA COULD be a CFP, FYI.........

Quote:
Other designations include Registered Investment Advisor ("RIA"), which is anyone "who, for compensation, engages in the business of advising others, either directly or through publications or writing, as to the value of securities or as to the advisability of investing in, purchasing, or selling securities,...or promulgates analyses or reports concerning securities," as required, exceptions and exemptions noted, under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. The only requirement to be met in order to procure an RIA is registration with the SEC.
WAIT! The SEC made me pass a Series 65, and you're saying all I needed was a registration form? Who can I complain to?

Quote:
Other designations include insurance professionals with their ChFC or CLU and CPA's with special training in personal financial services (my personal favorite because of their tax perspective).
ChFC guys have done more damage than almost any other subset......... I have yet to meet a CPA who does a good job with clients, perhaps saluki9 being a notable exception. Then again,he's a CPA with a CFA.........kind of a secret agent man........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #97
Confused about dryer sheets

After a lot of straightforward questions, can you just tell us (knowing that there are all sorts of reasons for individual differences): what is your asset allocation (not in dollars, in percentages)? (Be glad to give you mine, by the way, but I never did a radio show). In particular, what non-conventional things are recommended?

Update/edit: When I posted this I didn't realize this person had (as predicted) left. I had originally thought he was wrong, but (just) possibly in some interesting way. Too charitable on my part. But what the heck, it was a slow day.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote