Join Early Retirement Today

Living life here in NH
Old 02-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Living life here in NH

Hello, I stumbled on this site a few days ago. I'm married, no kids live in northern NH for hiking and other outdoor sports. I'm 55 and my wife is 50. We have no debt and have about 1 million saved for retirement. Later this year I will recieve an inheritance after my dad's passing of around $500-600,000. We run a small business from home which brings in enough to live on, all the while allowing freedoms to enjoy life. Most of our money is in VWINX as I tend to be a cautious investor. It's worked well for the time we've owned it, but wonder if we will need more growth. I look forward to getting to know others on the forums, to see how they invest. Thanks.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went to NH for the first time last summer. We really enjoyed it, especially Portsmouth. Welcome to the board.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Welcome aboard. I like that part of the country and have spent a little time around Conway, but I'm not sure if that counts as "northern NH". Portsmouth is OK but has become too crowded for me.

Wellesley is very, very popular around here.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Native New Englander here too... have traveled but never lived outside New England other than snowbirding starting this year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Welcome aboard. I like that part of the country and have spent a little time around Conway, but I'm not sure if that counts as "northern NH". Portsmouth is OK but has become too crowded for me.

Wellesley is very, very popular around here.
Coming from Denver, Portsmouth seemed like a "small town."

What's there not to like: good dining, friendly, good brew pubs, historic, walkable. Fun. I didn't find it crowded at all.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

Portsmouth is nice more than half the year, and I do enjoy it then. But in tourist season the roads are clogged with traffic and prices are considerably higher than they should be.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Greetings from Southern New Hampshire, Nashua to be precise. (Or as some put it, North Massachusetts.) I have lived in NH for 40 years, plan to stay here. Retired at 61 at the end of 2016. My wife is from northern NH (Lancaster).
Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Portsmouth is nice more than half the year, and I do enjoy it then. But in tourist season the roads are clogged with traffic and prices are considerably higher than they should be.
You just described every tourist town.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Already ER at age 51, I'm in middle of Wellesley becoming my lead fund over Wellington for a more conservative alignment over time. Glad you joined the board. I've got in-laws in around Lisbon NH. Love the White Mountains, can't wait to return.
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Hello, I stumbled on this site a few days ago. I'm married, no kids live in northern NH for hiking and other outdoor sports. I'm 55 and my wife is 50. We have no debt and have about 1 million saved for retirement. Later this year I will recieve an inheritance after my dad's passing of around $500-600,000. We run a small business from home which brings in enough to live on, all the while allowing freedoms to enjoy life. Most of our money is in VWINX as I tend to be a cautious investor. It's worked well for the time we've owned it, but wonder if we will need more growth. I look forward to getting to know others on the forums, to see how they invest. Thanks.
well you get 5% more than I would get in MA just by living in NH
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Greetings from Southern New Hampshire, Nashua to be precise. (Or as some put it, North Massachusetts.) I have lived in NH for 40 years, plan to stay here. Retired at 61 at the end of 2016. My wife is from northern NH (Lancaster).
When we lived in SWNH for 30 years we often went to Nashua to shop. One of favorites there was the Asian grocery off of Main Street. When we moved north we looked at Littleton, Bethlehem and Lancaster. Lancaster won out as we wanted to be able to walk to everything. We've been here three years this year and very much enjoy it. Having lived on an old farm property in the middle of woods was fun for a decade, but it was time for a new adventure. Plus another old house to work on.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:33 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Wellesley seems popular still here, that's good as I enjoy the quarterly dividends. I have about 10% in Fidelity Low Priced and a small position in AMLP an ETF based on MLP's that pays about 5.5% real dividend. They take care of all the K-1's, so it's not an accounting issue. Thank you all for the welcome.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:36 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
Already ER at age 51, I'm in middle of Wellesley becoming my lead fund over Wellington for a more conservative alignment over time. Glad you joined the board. I've got in-laws in around Lisbon NH. Love the White Mountains, can't wait to return.
We head over to Landaff near Lisbon to grouse hunt each fall. It's great country, but wanted to be closer to fishing and major hiking trails.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzajzz View Post
well you get 5% more than I would get in MA just by living in NH
+1
5.1% to be exact. Considering other taxes and fees, he's probably up 10%.

There's a reason 100's of people drive from MA to NH every weekend to do their shopping.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome nativenewenglander!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome...
When I hear New England can't help memories from coming back, and though was a native RhodeIslander from 1936 to 1954 , NH played a big part in my life. Our vacation trips were always on NewFound lake, and later, I lived in Claremont for a while. As a District Manager, some of my stores were in Laconia, Concord, Berlin, Conway, White River Jct., Littleton,and Keene...
Whenever I had an open day, it was spent hiking in the mountains. DW went to College in Wolfeboro as part of BC education (Sargent College).
We lived for years in Greenfield, MA, at the jct. of MA, NH and VT.
Wonderful country, and a great place to retire. Best of all worlds.
Can't help with investment suggestions, but you might find some comfort in early retirement by looking at some thoughts on retiring early without unlmited funds, here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-62251.html

Best wishes for a very happy future!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Welcome OP!

DW grew up in NE, and we both just love it there. We'd retire there if not for a higher COL (without going way inland), and winters when we inevitably get older.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote