Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Living on the Edge...by the sea...
Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Living on the Edge...by the sea...

Who knew that we would retire early much less by the sea?

Mid westerners just don't assume that will happen. But with a little help out the door from both of our employers, we did just that. Oh sure, they enthusiastically called it an "early out" filled with a "to go" package of some extra cash, health insurance and some flight benefits. But we knew they no longer wanted us around---and that still smarts. My husband had just turned 50 and let me tell you....he was way too young to retire and spend his days watching what I do all day long.

We retired at the height of the tech bubble---only to see that vanquished within 2 short years. We moved to Florida at the height of the housing bubble and we now own a couple pieces of property which will take years to recover from that debacle.

We are very concerned that our very positive retirement back in 2000 will turn into a nightmare because of the economic disaster in progress now. How do you protect yourself? Our back up plan was always moving to a third world country with a low cost of living....not sure if that's a wise move anymore.

So now we cut back on eating out and shut off the wine cooler. Time to hunker down by the sea...
By the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome from a fellow Floridian .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You are not alone, we did the same thing a few years ago and are hoping for the best at this point.

Don't have any answers for you except to cut expenses as best as possible and pray a lot.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

By the Sea,
It might give you some comfort to know there are a lot of us in this old rocky boat right now. At first I thought it was just going to be a very bad storm, but now realize this economic disaster is a full blown, stalled Cat 5 hurricane. No doubt, it is very rough right now, we just have to do what we can to limit the damage. We still have blessings to count and I am trying hard to focus on those. I am determined to keep looking for the silver lining or rainbow...it is out there somewhere!
Looking Ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pretty much everyone is hunkering down right now. At least you have a view and warm weather!
DH and I almost did a similar move a couple years after you did but one of us wasn't on board. That's one of the few things in our lives that we thought about doing and didn't do. Regardless of whether or not it would have been wise, it's usuallly the things you DON'T do that you regret.
So I'd say, well done. Enjoy your comfy hunkering down location. If either of you have too much energy, maybe you could embark on a major exercise program together so you're too tired to have your thoughts stray!
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome

I am fairly new to this board also.

We backed into retirement about 3 years ago, but have made do since.

We have seen our portfolio shrink in the last few months and much like everyone else, we thought it was a storm, not a hurrricane.

I am often reminded of my grandmother, who not only weathered the depression but did so after emigrating from Poland, with little education, not even speaking the language. She took joy in everything that surrounded her. She lived modestly, cooked well and loved her family. If she could do it, so can I.
canadianteddy is offline   Reply With Quote