Long time reader now joins

Softball

Confused about dryer sheets
I have been very very impressed by the knowledge of the regular posters on this site and finally registered so I can be a participant instead of the observer.

FI has always been in my blood, not out of greed but fear. 2 days ago my DW and I paid off our house at 43. We have had modest paying jobs and were able to make this happen. I joined today to investigate my future goals for FI. We max 401k, Roths and have enough for emergencies. Our kids are still young and college savings, weddings and vacations seem to be the next focus. Our current journey has been based on determination and work repetition. If we had more free time I don't think we would be in this position.

I am curious when and why people made career changes when there careers, although boring or unchallenging where paying the bills. Since I am driven more by fear it is tough to imagine a new change.

I look forward to reading and learning more from the group.

Our kids are still young and college savings, weddings and vacations seem to be the next focus.

Your retirement savings must come first. It seems that college has become a middle class necessity, but weddings?

Welcome , My top salary was $60,00 a year and I put two children thru college ,paid for a wedding , travelled and still was able to have a large portfolio so it can be done . Good Luck !

I am curious when and why people made career changes when there careers, although boring or unchallenging where paying the bills. Since I am driven more by fear it is tough to imagine a new change.

Welcome to the board.

My first career change was easy. We had no children, lived in "The Midlands" in England and wanted to move "up North" to Yorkshire where we had both been to college (even though we were not from Yorkshire).

After 6 great years and 2 children later I took a job in Scotland - same career. Reason was not because of of a non-challenging job but because of a real jerk appointed as my new manager. Children were aged 3 and 4. After 18 miserable months I was internally head hunted and moved back to Yorkshire, England - easy decision.

After 18 months I was internally head-hunted again, this time to Texas. Much more difficult decision - children were 6 and 4 -and we swayed back and forth for a few weeks before deciding to accept a 2 year assignment - new career.

5 years later another career change, but same Megacorp, and a move back to Texas. Children grown up and left home - easy decision really even though it was a very challenging position.

After 4 years, burned out, same Megacorp, but new job, moved back to Louisiana. Expect to stay here until ER in 22 months.

2 years later decided to accept another 2 year assignment in Louisiana.

Welcome to the forum. My last career change was to leave my job. I had enough of Mega Corp, and had enough money. You'll get there. :)

Welcome! I would have loved to have made a career change, but I stuck it out. The job was boring. One could argue 'why waist your good years on a boring job?'. Well I did for the money and it paid off in that it enabled me to retire at 52. :)

So there are choices to be made. Only you can decide if a career change is right for you. BTW, looks like you are on the right track to ER.

Your retirement savings must come first. It seems that college has become a middle class necessity, but weddings?
Well, I agree ... but we all have our own priorities.

They have a paid-for house, an adequate emergency fund, and are maxing their 401ks and Roth IRAs; so it sounds like they more or less have retirement savings under control.

Of course, one can always do more; and failing to set aside additional retirement funds above and beyond those already mentioned will probably preclude ER. But it's not like they are completely ignoring retirement in favour of their children's present and future needs and wants.

Back
Top Bottom