Looking for a new job and need advice

joecaf53

Dryer sheet aficionado
I started a new job earlier in the year after being out of work for a year. The pay and benefits aren't that great, but I needed to take something. I am thinking of looking for another job that hopefully pays better and I will be 55 at the end of the year.

The boss and the work are ok and the commute is only 10 minutes, which are positives, the real reason I want to look is pay and benefits.

My question, if I get interviews and when asked the question, why are you looking to leave, what are my best options? I don't think it sounds good to say better salary and benefits since I think I would come across as selfish, but it would be the truth.

What would be the acceptable response?

Thank you.

I don't see anything wrong with honestly saying you're looking for an improvement in salary and/or benefits. It's not selfish, and most people don't go to work for some altruistic premise; they do it for the money and benefits. I think if you tried to puff it up as something else you'd likely come off as insincere. Good luck; be yourself and be honest.

There are some HR pros here who might give you a good answer to this question.

Logically it would seem to me that a company would want to hear that you're worth more money than your current employer was able to offer, although you enjoy working there (have data about what your skills are worth in your regional job market to bolster your requirements); if the new employer can provide that, then you will be happy there and likely to stay. (I don't think you want to be seen as a job hopper.) (Of course an HR pro might say this is NOT what a company wants to hear :).)

Thank you both. Bestwife, you are correct in that I do not want to be seen as a job hopper or that the potential employer may think I would jump ship from them as well. I know it is tough out there and I should be lucky to be working, but with limited time, I would like to get what I believe I deserve or at least close to it.

Never badmouth your current employer even if baited into it. Sometimes they do that just to see what you say. You never know who knows who, especially in a narrow profession. The new boss might be golfing buddies with the old one.

But there is nothing at all wrong with saying something along the lines that you are happy with your current job but that you are looking for a better opportunity for advancement and to develop your career. A position that is a better fit for your abilities, that is more challenging, etc. etc. And that you are interested in how the employer you are interviewing with might provide that. Turn the conversation around and let the employer sell you on how much better their workplace is. Most HR people like to brag up their employer if prompted.

You can always say you were not actively looking; but when you found this opening you felt it was a prefect fit for both you and the company. I think this is a great way to tap dance around what you and the interviewer already know and yet is a discreet way to respond. Then, immediately explain how your talents match what they are looking for.

A nice reference for this kind of advice is called "Knock Em Dead' by Yates. I used a copy in '92 that proved very helpful. Although it is still in publication the library or used book store is also a good source. Sometimes older editions are just as good.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom