Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

You say you would make more going to trial. That assumes you win on your damages theory and there is no guarantee once you go to trial. You were apparently willing to take $300k since that was the offer from your side. If you are right and you can get them to $250k, I would probably take it. That is 50k less than you wanted at the start of the negotiations but when you factor in the risk of a trial, that isn't much discount from that. There simply is no way to know how a trial will come out. You say you lost about 200k in commissions. Estimating that the lawyer will take 33% max since you are not going to trial, you would net about $167k. That is a pretty good return with not much upside to going to trial. Say you get your 200 plus 100 in interest. That's 300 with the lawyer maybe getting as much as 40% since there was a trial. That only nets you 180 or 13 k more for a real risk of getting zero. A litigant can't take this personally and need to make a business decision on the numbers. If my estimates are any where near the truth, the right business decision is to take the deal at 225 or 250 but I would make the attempt to work them up to 250.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 03:29 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is a business decision.
You are not in the litigation business.
Take it and go on with your life.

Do not let emotions (revenge, making it "too easy" for your lawyer) get in your way.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

And a trial would be a pain. in. the. ass. for you too. Much more than that 13k marinauser cited would be worth. And they're already out their lawyers' fees as well as what they're offering you.

If they've cheated other firms, let those others have their pounds of flesh as well.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #44

It wasn't a trial about my finances, but the city I worked for. The amount was $16 million and the legal wrangling lasted 10 years; not trial but lots of discovery and binding arbitration (that turned out not to be binding. WTF?)

We never had a legitimate offer to settle, but given the hair and sleep I lost over that time I'd have recommended settling for anything reasonable. Spending time in rooms with lawyers is not fun. Our legal bills were over $5 million, but we did prevail for the $16, unbelievable as that is. If I were you I'd settle and get on with life.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #45

Commercial lit attorney here. Take it and get on with your life, unless this is a big matter of principle for you. Doesn't sound like trebling would make much difference in your planning/situation, and there is always a risk with a jury trial--no matter how strong the case and how good your lawyer is.

BTW, congrats on new screen name!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Commercial lit attorney here. Take it and get on with your life, unless this is a big matter of principle for you. Doesn't sound like trebling would make much difference in your planning/situation, and there is always a risk with a jury trial--no matter how strong the case and how good your lawyer is.
Done. Lawyer got them up another $10K on the last call.

Quote:
BTW, congrats on new screen name!

Thanks. The original was a joke, but became a bit vulgar, given the mixed company and my desire to stay active with the forum.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For loss of purpose, get thee to a Viktor Frankl aficionado.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I'd have recommended settling for anything reasonable. Spending time in rooms with lawyers is not fun…. If I were you I'd settle and get on with life.
+1

Tags
inheritance, lost purpose, real estate