Lost Purpose – Major Inheritance – The Numbers

I do have days that I wonder if this is it and my best years are behind me. As dysfunctional as the corporate world was, it still defined me and I felt I was in the "game". Now I feel like an outsider sometimes. .... I do miss the big paycheck :)

You nailed it:cool: These are my exact concerns.

Thought of asking if anyone worked well beyond financial independence. IE not instant wealth like .COM multi millionaire. But some one who hit 50 had some multiple of his earned income in passive income, but still kept working the 50-60 hour 7 day grind into there late 60's. Not sure this is the right group, since it is called retire early after all:D

You nailed it:cool: These are my exact concerns.

Thought of asking if anyone worked well beyond financial independence. IE not instant wealth like .COM multi millionaire. But some one who hit 50 had some multiple of his earned income in passive income, but still kept working the 50-60 hour 7 day grind into there late 60's. Not sure this is the right group, since it is called retire early after all:D

It does happen... at my mega (which was years ago now), they brought in someone to head a division.... getting paid many million per year... but, he had a few hundred mill already and did not need to do it.... he was in his 70s....

He loved the power and was an ahole to most people.... especially if you did not have your number.... he traveled 4 to 5 days a week and had an entourage go with him... never knew why he would do it, but I bet his DW was glad he was out of her hair....

I can't help you with the numbers or the Medicaid issue or anything like that. I will say a few words about the fulfillment issue.

I retired at the end of 2012, having been regional CEO of a global mega. My region's revenues were on the order of $4 billion, with my main country (where I lived) producing half of that. I took over that country when it had a profit margin of a little over 2%, and grew it to over 7% during my 11 year tenure at the helm. I traveled 50-75% of the time. I did a great job for megacorp and they rewarded me well, both monetarily and in public kudos and recognition. However, after peaking my profits at that level, Mega still wanted more, and this in an environment where 3% is considered good, and 5% is considered fantastic...something that megacorp globally has still yet to achieve although they've been touting that goal for over 20 years. Anyway, the industry really is nickel and dime profits, nothing like an Apple or a Google. But the pressure to deliver higher and higher margins, which were really beginning to be unreasonable, really ate into me. I already had my FIRE plan, goals, reasons, and parachute in place, so out I jumped.

As another poster stated, it took a long time to detox. I my case, I'd say closer to two, maybe even three years. I've had several opportunities to jump back into the fray. One was to become CEO and to IPO the company. I'm well to do now, but this opportunity could have made me filthy rich. I almost took it, but this company wanted me to come on board before my non compete had expired, even offered to pay the penalty for me. But my scruples would not allow me to break my commitment, even just a month. So I passed. Other opportunities came along after that, but I've just not been able to motivate myself enough to get over the physical trembling I get from just thinking about going back.

Now as I close out my 4th year or retirement, having just turned 55, I'm beginning to struggle with the fulfillment issue. This is more of a problem for me in the winter than during warmer more pleasant weather. We've traveled a fair bit. We've bought a second home in Nevada (in N Cal now) where we expect to eventually move because of the political and tax situation in Cali. We spend a few days a week there. We travel to where the kids are several times per year. Yet, I often get the feeling "is this all there is?" Add to that a recent development in my wife's health (seizures) that require for now that someone be with her 24/7, until the docs have her stabilized on anti seizure meds (they can't find a definitive reason for the seizures). So now, while we can still travel, and do not put life on hold, I can't go back to work even if I wanted. We run and exercise together daily, got healthier, lost 45 pounds, made a lot of improvements around the house, bought an RV and have spent a good chunk of time on the road in it, got into guns as a hobby and spend a lot of time reading about and tinkering with them, volunteer at the church, but still I question myself. Is this all there is? I'm guessing that this is mostly a phase that I'm going thru, and I'm guessing that many early retirees go thru it. I think you will also go thru it when you hang your hat.

For me, this has meant toying with the idea of going back to the grind, what I used to do, it has also meant that I toy with the idea getting a part time job in a gun shop or maybe a sporting goods store...not for the money, but for the interaction and the interest. It has meant spending time training for my other hobby of running 5k races and half marathons, which in turn has brought minor injury from time to time, which in turn affects the fulfillment question. As fears as getting a job, whether full on megacorp big shot, or even a part time thing satisfying my hobby and quest for interaction, the thought of being tied down to something bothers me even more than any feelings of lack of fulfillment have, so far anyway.

When you retire, you have a lot more time on your hands. Are you ready to fill that time? Do you have enough things to do? If not, are you happy to just relax? Some people are...some are not. If you have the list of things to fill your time, is your money bucket full enough to allow you to do them all? Would you be interested, or able, to keep a few accounts and work them part time, not just for the money, but to keep a hand in the game? What does your DW think about all of this? How do your thoughts mesh with hers?

My mom always says, "getting old is not for sissies." I would add to that, "retiring early isn't either...in more ways than one."

Hope these thoughts have helped, but I suppose they just add more to the confusion.

Medicaid (about 6 years ago) paid only $1100.00 per month for care. If you want your loved one in a decent home, you pay the difference. You don't want your dad in a straight medicaid home, that takes the medicare only. No lie, they smell like urine and crap, people aren't given good care, etc. Some will have waiting lists for those with no option.

MY SIL paid $7700.00 per month difference for her mother and this was assistant living. If you need care, price goes up from there. Her and her husband were making into the high 6 figures. Her mother lived there for 11 years. Yeah do the math, unbelievable. And this was big city midwest, not the coasts.

All this aside your dad and uncle might burn up your inheritance some.

I say get the desire back for working. Forget the inheritances, for now.

What keeps someone to keep on working you ask.
We have way more than enough to retire. Why do we continue, cause we love our business so much we can't believe we get paid what we do, to do this. No one else can either. We like not having budgets. Expensive hobbies we don't want to give up. We like to give to charities. We don't work full time. Although both husband and I have had opportunities fall into our laps which might bump us up to full time again. Money is too good to say no too.

Last edited:
Wow!

Everyone has given great helpful advice. It is appreciated and will not be forgotten.

I'm grateful to have found this site. It has been extremely comforting to learn from others that my anxieties about the next step in the game we call life are "normal" and will pass with time. That it is difficult to let go of our work identities but like everything else in life when 1 door closes another one opens.
:)

Speaking as a lawyer ...

I had another long term product line terminate me and am currently in court suing them because I found out over the years they stole over $200K in commissions.
Gore Vidal once said that "as one gets older, litigation replaces sex". Perhaps you have found your purpose! :LOL:

On a more serious note, in my own experience litigation is typically a substantial drain (waste) of time and emotional energy. Frankly, if I were in your shoes I would move on and not further invest in this dispute; it's old business and not worth rehashing, regardless of the potential damages.

I retired at 49 and it took me 8 months just to detox from the Megacorp stressful culture. Now after 3.5 years into ER I do have days that I wonder if this is it and my best years are behind me.
While there are certainly exceptions, for most people in their 50s the 'best years' - in terms of productivity and career achievements - are indeed behind them. ER doesn't have anything to do with that, and on the contrary could be an opportunity for personal growth via a new ('second act') career, assuming that one is interested in ongoing employment.

As dysfunctional as the corporate world was, it still defined me and I felt I was in the "game". Now I feel like an outsider sometimes.
Sounds realistic. I suspect that anyone who feels defined by their occupation will have substantial difficulty adjusting to retirement.

Gore Vidal once said that "as one gets older, litigation replaces sex". Perhaps you have found your purpose! :LOL:

On a more serious note, in my own experience litigation is typically a substantial drain (waste) of time and emotional energy. Frankly, if I were in your shoes I would move on and not further invest in this dispute; it's old business and not worth rehashing, regardless of the potential damages.

I'm no longer investing anymore time in the litigation unless we go to trial, where I will be required to testify. Told the lawyer, not going to waste my time to go to a mediation table, when we can work numbers on a conference call.

The heavy lifting has been done already, interviewed 6 attorneys, before finding the right one. (The others wanted higher contingency fees) Did my day under the bright lights, and they've had several witnesses deposed, 2 of which were found to perjure their original deposition.:(

It is kind of like sex, and feels good to give it back like I've been getting it over the years.:dance::flowers:

Normally I would let it go and have many times. But they gave me the evidence I needed to prove in court that they committed fraud. :D with a potential $600-$1.2M can't just walk by that size quarter on the sidewalk!:dance:

with a potential $600-$1.2M can't just walk by that size quarter on the sidewalk!:dance:

I agree - even if it were "just" $200k - that's a hell of a lot of retirement experiences you could enjoy for a very, very, very (relatively) small amount of additional effort from here on out. And that even ignores the emotional benefit of "paying it back" to them! :)

Dial up the (very) possible outcome of $600k-$1MM+, and it's a no-brainer!

I agree - even if it were "just" $200k - that's a hell of a lot of retirement experiences you could enjoy for a very, very, very (relatively) small amount of additional effort from here on out. And that even ignores the emotional benefit of "paying it back" to them! :)

Dial up the (very) possible outcome of $600k-$1MM+, and it's a no-brainer!

Yesterday checked in with my attorney, who said the last two depositions went well. The discovery has proven willful intent ( the former CEO admitted volunteered that they held an internal discussion about whether or not to pay me) which is triple damages by statute. In addition we have uncovered additional fraud, which hush money shall cover. :cool: He has prepared and submitted a counter settlement offer in the high $700's:D in response to their $15K offer to make it go away before discovery.:facepalm: Looking like a nice a highly probable $20K-$30K+ revenue stream (structured settlement) carrying me right up to early social security:LOL:

Yesterday checked in with my attorney, who said the last two depositions went well. The discovery has proven willful intent
Your lawyer's opinion is of some interest, but is not 'bankable'. Ultimately it will be up to a court to decide exactly what the discovery evidence proves.

He has prepared and submitted a counter settlement offer in the high $700's:D in response to their $15K offer to make it go away before discovery.:facepalm: Looking like a nice a highly probable $20K-$30K+ revenue stream (structured settlement) carrying me right up to early social security:LOL:
I don't know any of the facts. Perhaps you do indeed have a great case. However, I wouldn't assess any >$700,000 settlement as "highly probable" just yet. Certainly the other side's offer of $15,000 reflects a rather different perspective ...

Your lawyer's opinion is of some interest, but is not 'bankable'. Ultimately it will be up to a court to decide exactly what the discovery evidence proves.

I don't know any of the facts. Perhaps you do indeed have a great case. However, I wouldn't assess any >$700,000 settlement as "highly probable" just yet. Certainly the other side's offer of $15,000 reflects a rather different perspective ...

Well, to be fair that was before discovery.... now, they might not think it has gone up to $700K, but they might think it has gone up....

The other problem OP might have is is his lawyer any good... my BIL had a good case against a bank and when it finally got before a judge their lawyer was much better than my BILs lawyer.... BIL barely got anything... and my BIL was thinking between $500K and $1 million based on his lawyers talking...

Well, to be fair that was before discovery.... now, they might not think it has gone up to $700K, but they might think it has gone up....
True enough; although in my experience, it's relatively rare for dramatic admissions or new evidence to emerge through discovery. Assuming that they have been properly instructed by their clients, competent counsel are usually able to determine 'ballpark' settlement ranges before discovery.

Of course, it's entirely possible that $15,000 does not accurately reflect the defendant's actual assessment of the case and it was just 'trying it on' to see if the OP would 'bite'. If that's the case, there will almost certainly be a significantly higher offer prior to trial.

The other problem OP might have is is his lawyer any good... my BIL had a good case against a bank and when it finally got before a judge their lawyer was much better than my BILs lawyer.... BIL barely got anything... and my BIL was thinking between $500K and $1 million based on his lawyers talking...
Indeed. While there is only so much a good lawyer can do to improve a bad case, a bad lawyer can do almost unlimited damage to a good case.

True enough; although in my experience, it's relatively rare for dramatic admissions or new evidence to emerge through discovery. Assuming that they have been properly instructed by their clients, competent counsel are usually able to determine 'ballpark' settlement ranges before discovery.

Of course, it's entirely possible that $15,000 does not accurately reflect the defendant's actual assessment of the case and it was just 'trying it on' to see if the OP would 'bite'. If that's the case, there will almost certainly be a significantly higher offer prior to trial.

I agree not much was discovered only proven. We knew they didn't pay me on sales they were contractually obligated to pay me on. It was only proven under oath that the former CEO had an internal discussion about if they should compensate me and it was decided to hide it from me. Thus proving intentional deception.

The first affidavit from the company's current CEO (prior to filing suit) stated no other rep firm or person was compensated on sales that took place in my territory. It was discovered through the book keepers testimony that this was a false statement.

I suspected they were stealing from other rep firms. Through discovery we proved they didn't compensate another firm on several hundred thousand in sales.

I'm certainly not saying it is 100% in the bag, but we are direction-ally correct, and they haven't presented a single argument which, in light of all the evidence, would have a reasonable person conclude that the company didn't breach the contract.

Indeed. While there is only so much a good lawyer can do to improve a bad case, a bad lawyer can do almost unlimited damage to a good case.

So the other side is at $220,000 and my attorney is encouraging me to take it. My attorney's forensic accounting showed a short change to me of $205,000 and he thinks there is only a 20% chance of treble, so he thinks this is pretty good, and I should take it.

The opposition attorney was at $150K (we were at $300K) Friday and $200K today at 11. By 3 my attorney said they were at $220K and it probably wouldn't get any higher than $250K.

I think my attorney is taking the easy road, by not going to court, since I would make more and he could make about the same for additional effort.:(

You say you would make more going to trial. That assumes you win on your damages theory and there is no guarantee once you go to trial. You were apparently willing to take $300k since that was the offer from your side. If you are right and you can get them to $250k, I would probably take it. That is 50k less than you wanted at the start of the negotiations but when you factor in the risk of a trial, that isn't much discount from that. There simply is no way to know how a trial will come out. You say you lost about 200k in commissions. Estimating that the lawyer will take 33% max since you are not going to trial, you would net about $167k. That is a pretty good return with not much upside to going to trial. Say you get your 200 plus 100 in interest. That's 300 with the lawyer maybe getting as much as 40% since there was a trial. That only nets you 180 or 13 k more for a real risk of getting zero. A litigant can't take this personally and need to make a business decision on the numbers. If my estimates are any where near the truth, the right business decision is to take the deal at 225 or 250 but I would make the attempt to work them up to 250.

It is a business decision.
You are not in the litigation business.
Take it and go on with your life.

Do not let emotions (revenge, making it "too easy" for your lawyer) get in your way.

Last edited:
And a trial would be a pain. in. the. ass. for you too. Much more than that 13k marinauser cited would be worth. And they're already out their lawyers' fees as well as what they're offering you.

If they've cheated other firms, let those others have their pounds of flesh as well.

It wasn't a trial about my finances, but the city I worked for. The amount was $16 million and the legal wrangling lasted 10 years; not trial but lots of discovery and binding arbitration (that turned out not to be binding. WTF?)

We never had a legitimate offer to settle, but given the hair and sleep I lost over that time I'd have recommended settling for anything reasonable. Spending time in rooms with lawyers is not fun. Our legal bills were over $5 million, but we did prevail for the $16, unbelievable as that is. If I were you I'd settle and get on with life.

Commercial lit attorney here. Take it and get on with your life, unless this is a big matter of principle for you. Doesn't sound like trebling would make much difference in your planning/situation, and there is always a risk with a jury trial--no matter how strong the case and how good your lawyer is.

BTW, congrats on new screen name!

Commercial lit attorney here. Take it and get on with your life, unless this is a big matter of principle for you. Doesn't sound like trebling would make much difference in your planning/situation, and there is always a risk with a jury trial--no matter how strong the case and how good your lawyer is.

Done. Lawyer got them up another $10K on the last call.

BTW, congrats on new screen name!
:D

Thanks. The original was a joke, but became a bit vulgar, given the mixed company and my desire to stay active with the forum.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
For loss of purpose, get thee to a Viktor Frankl aficionado.

I'd have recommended settling for anything reasonable. Spending time in rooms with lawyers is not fun…. If I were you I'd settle and get on with life.
+1

Back
Top Bottom