Join Early Retirement Today

LPuzzle checks in
Old 06-26-2002, 07:15 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

LPuzzle checks in

I'm not yet FIRE, but look to be at 46 yo. My plan was not the 80/20 mix, but a state government job which allows early retirement after 25 yrs of service(with a penalty). However, this year, the legislature (GA) passed a law allowing anyone with 25 yrs to buy in 3 years, allowing me to retire with 29+ years credit (1+ yr in unused sick leave), thereby overcoming almost all of the ER penalty. Based on my calculations, the amount needed to buy in 3 years will in essence be a 10% inflation adjusted annuity over the rest of my life. A no-brainer as some would say. The resulting pension (w/medical insurance) will supply more than my current spending level. Hence, the rest of my nest egg is pure emergencies/fun money. My nest egg was acquired by paying off my mortgage ASAP (took 5 years) and saving/investing all the extra monthly income after that. Still invest/save over 50% of my yearly gross income. Now I'm, in my view, overweighted in equities (70%). I'd like to move to a 50/50 split. However, my losses since Mar 2000 are just 9% of my total portfolio, so have not been drilled as much as many by the stock market slide.

I'm a high school chemistry teacher - the front end pay may not be the best, but the back-end (pension) sure is nice. Should mention however, that I must contribute to this pension fund every year (4.5% of salary), along with SS.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: LPuzzle checks in
Old 06-26-2002, 10:08 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

lpuzzle writes,

I'm not yet FIRE, but look to be at 46 yo. My plan was not the 80/20 mix, but a state government job which allows early retirement after 25 yrs of service(with a penalty). However, this year, the legislature (GA) passed a law allowing anyone with 25 yrs to buy in 3 years, allowing me to retire with 29+ years credit (1+ yr in unused sick leave), thereby overcoming almost all of the ER penalty. Based on my calculations, the amount needed to buy in 3 years will in essence be a 10% inflation adjusted annuity over the rest of my life. A no-brainer as some would say. The resulting pension (w/medical insurance) will supply more than my current spending level.
---------------------------------------

Congratualions!

This sounds phenomenal! Just so that the rest of us can understand what a good deal this is, if you paid $1,000 to buy the extra 3 years, how much extra per month would a 46-year-old get in his pension benefit?

intercst
Old 06-26-2002, 10:11 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

LPuzzle,

Congratulations on your pending retirement. I am sure that it is well deserved. How did you manage to limit your losses since March 2000 to just 9% of your total portfolio? As you sell of equities, what do you plan to buy?

Regards,
Prometheuss
Prometheuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:49 PM   #4

Intercst asks:

This sounds phenomenal! Just so that the rest of us can understand what a good deal this is, if you paid $1,000 to buy the extra 3 years, how much extra per month would a 46-year-old get in his pension benefit?

LPuzzle responds:

I cannot buy it in until I have the 25 yrs served, but taking inflation into account, my best estimate is that it will cost me between 70K-75K in early 2004. This will increase my pension by $9002 annually. Or, for each $1000 cost, the extra per year is between $120 - $130. This amount is subject to a 1.5% COLA each 6 months. In 9 years, I would have back my inflation adjusted principle and then am guaranteed the 12% or so return until I die. I figure this is equivalent to a 12% inflation-adjusted immediate annuity.

Prometheuss asks:

Congratulations on your pending retirement. I am sure that it is well deserved. How did you manage to limit your losses since March 2000 to just 9% of your total portfolio? As you sell of equities, what do you plan to buy?

LP responds:

All of my equities are not in indexes and my MUNI bonds pay in the 5.5-7.5% range. Individual stocks that have lifted my overall portfolio include GIS, SPG, AA, IP. 'Course I've also got some WCOM! But less than 2%of my overall portfolio was in it. GPS is my other individual loser. I also have some in Vanguard tax managed balanced, Van tax managed G&I and Van Extended Index along with a couple of other large cap mixed funds (received through inheritance - these will probably be what I sell off eventually). Until the slide this year, I was still showing an overall gain. Besides MUNIs, my bond holdings are I-Bonds (bought when paying 3% or more above inflation). My MUNIs I'm sure will be called at the first available date. I will move out of equities slowly as other MUNIs become available or I-bond rates improve. I also need to have some more pure cash/CDs sitting on the sidelines than I do now - to fund the retirement buy-in and a few more K available if the car goes kaput or some such.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

lpuzzle writes,

I cannot buy it in until I have the 25 yrs served, but taking inflation into account, my best estimate is that it will cost me between 70K-75K in early 2004. This will increase my pension by $9002 annually.
---------------------------------------------------

That's fabulous! A 46-year-old would only get about $3,300 per year if he put $75,000 in a commercially available lifetime inflation-adjusted annuity.

intercst
Old 06-27-2002, 07:03 AM   #6

lpuzzle writes,

I cannot buy it in until I have the 25 yrs served, but taking inflation into account, my best estimate is that it will cost me between 70K-75K in early 2004. This will increase my pension by $9002 annually.
---------------------------------------------------
intercst :
That's fabulous! A 46-year-old would only get about $3,300 per year if he put $75,000 in a commercially available lifetime inflation-adjusted annuity.

LPuzzle:
Well, it's only fabulous because of the early retirement penalty imposed for from 25 - 30 years of service (7%/yr). I'm still hoping for a 25 yr, no penalty retirement (my pension would increase $8000 annually), so I can save my 75K! The system involved is the GA TRS (teacher retirement system) not the general GA plan for all state employees.

Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

lpuzzle writes,

Well, it's only fabulous because of the early retirement penalty imposed for from 25 - 30 years of service (7%/yr). I'm still hoping for a 25 yr, no penalty retirement (my pension would increase $8000 annually), so I can save my 75K! The system involved is the GA TRS (teacher retirement system) not the general GA plan for all state employees.
----------------------------------------

Oh, I see. They're penalizing you for more than the actual cost of getting the benefit 5 years earlier.

Again, looking at commercial inflation-adjusted life annuities, a 46-year-old could get a 4.30% inflation-adjusted initial benefit (i.e. $4,300 from $100,000 in the first year). A 51-year-old would get 4.66% or $4,660 from $100,000. That's only a 7.7% reduction for the 46-year-old. At 7% per year (35% total) the reduction is way more than the actual cost.

intercst