Lurker deciding to unlurk!

siwanwales

Confused about dryer sheets
Unbelieveable, but I have been lurking for about - oh, a YEAR so I finally decided to register, join, etc.  I am 40 (still getting used to saying that) and am planning to semi-retire at 50 depending on health insurance situation.  I just paid off my little tiny condo (850 sq. ft) in Florida and will begin to max out my 401(k) this year and start a Roth.  Single but engaged, no kids of my own...I absolutely love coming to the forum and I try to visit every day...

Well, let me be the first to say "Welcome"!

If you love this place, I'd have to question your sanity, but you should fit right in!! :p

Thanks for the welcome...and I question my sanity every day! I go on and on about FI and ER with my fiancee and his eyes just glaze over...hardly the reaction I hope for, you know?! In every area except this one we are perfect for each other. I mean, he's frugal and all, but he has a kind of low income and very high outgo (3 daughters) so money for him has been a horrifying experience for years, not something to get excited about like it is for me. But I'm trying to get him to look at money in a different way. So far, it seems to be working a little.

Welcome to the forum. I like reading this forum every day also. I usually read and try to learn, since there is so many smart people here!

Dreamer

Welcome to the board, Siwanwales.

siwanwales said:
I go on and on about FI and ER with my fiancee and his eyes just glaze over...hardly the reaction I hope for, you know?!  But I'm trying to get him to look at money in a different way.
Ruh-roh. Hopefully he'll be OK looking at it while you're the one holding it.

I just paid off my little tiny condo (850 sq. ft) in Florida and will begin to max out my 401(k) this year and start a Roth. Single but engaged

Good luck, marrying a man with 3 kids and no money might make it hard to retire so soon if you don't have any saving to speak of yet.You know at 50 you won't be able to spend your 401K money without penalty. If you file a joint tax return and he is working you might be in a high bracket until you both retire. Maybe the medical will work out if you can be covered on his plan.

Thanks for the welcomes and responses. Nords - he's coming along, slowly but surely but until then, it is defintely look but don't touch!

I guess I didn't really clarify my situation that well - I have about $92K in retirement savings, and about $18K in non-retirement savings so far. But with the condo paid off, I will be ramping up the savings rates. My fiancee has three girls; one who's 19, one who's 16 and one who's 14 so once the child support ends, he'll be able to save (alot) more.
I will probably rollover my 401(k) to an IRA and then take 72(T) distributions (but I still have to make sure I understand those...at least I have 10 years to do it!)
Again, thanks for the welcome - I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom