Lurking No More!

donh

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking this forum for almost two years and finally registered a couple of weeks ago. I came out because I recently retired and I thought it would be great to share with a group of folks that is (based on my experience with this forum), friendly, helpful and sometimes hilarious.

My wife and I just picked up pickleball and have become absolute fanatics! The only problem with the game is the ball does not bounce that high. That's not good for someone with achy knees and a stiff back. We recently started playing with close friends and we regularly get our butts kicked! :) If anyone has any advice on getting better or caring for sore knees, us newbies are all ears.

Even though I am retired, I sorta am. Last summer my wife gave her blessing and I launched a tech startup with me as the sole employee. I've been working on this app for the last two years and the weird part is that I got the idea from this forum! So I wish to thank all of you for inspiring me to build something!

I am approaching 60 and never thought I would be launching a business at this stage. I thought launching a tech startup was more for those in their 20's and 30's. It has had its moments but so far the journey has been mostly fun. I wake up each morning thinking of ways to improve the app and website. It been a few years since I've been this engaged and willing to learn new things.

I've rambled long enough and would love to hear from anybody that started a business or tech startup after "retiring". It just seems different from what you see in the Social Network and other startup movies. Part of it is because the pressure to succeed is not as great at this stage of life. Anyways, I'd love to hear your story.

Welcome to the forum. There are several avid pickleball players on the forum... and plenty of other folks with bad knees and stiff backs. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.

The tech startup sounds like a fun gig. Are you making money? Can you write off a bunch of stuff? I've thought about a trying to launch a few ideas as apps... but when I describe the functionality to friends I quickly realized my ideas have a target audience of one (me.)

Thanks Rodi!

I figured there might be a good pickleball following in this forum. My wife and I practiced yesterday. We decided it would be strategically advantageous to be closer to the kitchen line so we practice volleying to one another. It was less frightening than I thought.

The startuep is definitely fun but that's because its still in the early stage. I am sure when it gains some traction that's is when the headaches will pop up.

The start up is just in its infancy so there no revenue. I have tried to keep the recurring expenses low (just the cost of the hosting site). So far that's the only write off. I am looking forward to learning the tax advantage of business losses! :)

From what I've learned from others is discussing your ideas with friends and anybody willing to listen is very helpful. Another helpful way to get feedback is to set a landing page so people can see you idea and sign up.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum. There are several avid pickleball players on the forum... and plenty of other folks with bad knees and stiff backs. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.

The tech startup sounds like a fun gig. Are you making money? Can you write off a bunch of stuff? I've thought about a trying to launch a few ideas as apps... but when I describe the functionality to friends I quickly realized my ideas have a target audience of one (me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @donh to our wonderful forum.
I am also a fanatical Pickleball player and play 6x weekly. I am at a 4.0 level.
One of the main keys in becoming a better player is to develop your "soft" game by learning how to dink the ball at the kitchen line. In conjunction with this concept, you should develop the "3rd shot drop". Many players just "bang" the ball all the time.
If these concepts are foreign to you currently, you can watch Youtube teaching videos and also watch a few of the professional games to see how the game is played at the highest levels. Even though we are not professionals, we can incorporate different aspects of their game into our games.
Hope to see more posts from you and enjoy this great game. I know 3 players still playing the game in their 80's.

Welcome to the forum!

Startup sounds great. I keep thinking about doing something but it quickly morphs into work, which I seem unwilling to do... So far.

We need to try pickleball. I wonder how my ankle would respond.

Welcome to the forum!

Startup sounds great. I keep thinking about doing something but it quickly morphs into work, which I seem unwilling to do... So far.

We need to try pickleball. I wonder how my ankle would respond.

Give it a try. If you have played tennis/ping pong/raquetball in the past and have hand/eye coordination, you will pick up the game generically within a week.
The game can be somewhat stressful on the knees and lower back, but I don't find any stress levels on the ankles.

Thanks for the great welcome, Out-to-Lunch, Dtail and Montecfo!

Mr. Target2019 the check is in the mail! :)

Dtail - we started watching the games on youtube. It's amazing how quick the players' reflexes are! If that was me on the court I would definitely need a goalie mask!
When we practiced the other day I was struck at how the game became more instinctive the closer you are to the net. My wife said it best... you have to watch the darn ball or else! :)

Thanks for the tip! I will pass it along to the wife.

... From what I've learned from others is discussing your ideas with friends and anybody willing to listen is very helpful. ...
Not helpful. Mandatory. But not "friends" (who will be nice). Actual, real, potential customers who don't know you.

As a volunteer SCORE mentor I can't tell you how many clients come in with what I call the "plumbing and wiring" done -- permits, LLC, EIN, company logo, etc. and have never even once talked to a customer. I remember one who had a gluten-free cookie mix that came with a can of coconut milk, planning to sell at about $7. He had tested the cookies with a few friends who, politely, told him they were great. He had never gone to a grocery store or a co-op to see what his shelf competition was and what their price points were. He had never set up at a farmer's market to offer samples or try to sell the kits and get feedback on the cookies, the packaging, the coconut milk idea, or the price point. No surprise, after two or three mentoring sessions he disappeared without a trace.

What I generally tell these folks is to forget about the plumbing and wiring and to go sell something. Until you have a sale, you don't have a business. You have a dream. Adapting the old military adage ("No plan survives first contact with the enemy.") I would say that no dream survives first contact with the market. And then there was the client who dreamed of selling a $60 dog toy. ... He had a really clever logo. ...

Edit: Re-reading, this sounds a bit harsh. Sorry, but the market is harsh.

Last edited:
Not helpful. Mandatory. But not "friends" (who will be nice). Actual, real, potential customers who don't know you.

As a volunteer SCORE mentor I can't tell you how many clients come in with what I call the "plumbing and wiring" done -- permits, LLC, EIN, company logo, etc. and have never even once talked to a customer. I remember one who had a gluten-free cookie mix that came with a can of coconut milk, planning to sell at about $7. He had tested the cookies with a few friends who, politely, told him they were great. He had never gone to a grocery store or a co-op to see what his shelf competition was and what their price points were. He had never set up at a farmer's market to offer samples or try to sell the kits and get feedback on the cookies, the packaging, the coconut milk idea, or the price point. No surprise, after two or three mentoring sessions he disappeared without a trace.

What I generally tell these folks is to forget about the plumbing and wiring and to go sell something. Until you have a sale, you don't have a business. You have a dream. Adapting the old military adage ("No plan survives first contact with the enemy.") I would say that no dream survives first contact with the market. And then there was the client who dreamed of selling a $60 dog toy. ... He had a really clever logo. ...

Edit: Re-reading, this sounds a bit harsh. Sorry, but the market is harsh.

A common expression in the start-up world: "Create the brochure FIRST."

pb4uski - thank you for the welcome! To answer your question I have the opposite problem! :)

LRDave - no worries at all. No need to apologize. The harsher the advice the better. I definitely agree that you don't have a business unless someone pays for it!

Sorry! Last remark was meant for OldShooter.

LRDave - the brochure is in the mail! :)

Thanks for the great welcome, Out-to-Lunch, Dtail and Montecfo!

Mr. Target2019 the check is in the mail! :)

Dtail - we started watching the games on youtube. It's amazing how quick the players' reflexes are! If that was me on the court I would definitely need a goalie mask!
When we practiced the other day I was struck at how the game became more instinctive the closer you are to the net. My wife said it best... you have to watch the darn ball or else! :)

Thanks for the tip! I will pass it along to the wife.

You will be surprised that your reflexes actually typically improve, as you play the game more. It happened to my friends and I, even though we are all in the 60 y.o. range.
No, you won't have the reflexes of a 20 or 30 year old or the pros, but most amateurs don't hit the ball quite as hard and accurately as the pros.
Another aspect is this is one of the few racquet sports where 60 year olds can compete with the youngins. lol

I too lurked for a long time prior to joining. I didn't have my own computer so lurked in the cubicle. Once retired, I finally got a computer and joined. This is a pretty good bunch of folks and we (mostly) get along.:angel: Welcome.

Hello everyone!
My wife and I just picked up pickleball and have become absolute fanatics! The only problem with the game is the ball does not bounce that high. That's not good for someone with achy knees and a stiff back. We recently started playing with close friends and we regularly get our butts kicked! :) If anyone has any advice on getting better or caring for sore knees, us newbies are all ears.
Welcome. My advice is to play against folks who are worse than yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom