Meaningful Purpose

This has been on my mind for a while now and all I have to say is...

HUH:confused:

You said you need to keep pushing yourself or you get bored. You need passion. You get that from your job now I assume. But, what to do about retirement.

I bet you could sit down and think up 20 things that fascinate you. 20 ideas that sound interesting. I bet you'd be willing to dig in and become the biggest nerd on, say, 5 of those ideas. I bet at least one of those would be fun to write about to share with other people.

And, I bet I'd buy the book :flowers:

You said you need to keep pushing yourself or you get bored. You need passion. You get that from your job now I assume.

Uhhhhh.... BIG NO!

I bet you could sit down and think up 20 things that fascinate you. 20 ideas that sound interesting.

Uhhhhh.... NO, not that many, unfortunately!

I bet you'd be willing to dig in and become the biggest nerd on, say, 5 of those ideas. I bet at least one of those would be fun to write about to share with other people.

Maybe...I do like to "get into" subjects and learn about them, the current one being time domain reflectometry used in soil moisture sensors.

And, I bet I'd buy the book :flowers:

Would you be interested in buying ADVANCE COPIES:confused: :D

GO CANUCKS, from Texas!

Maybe...I do like to "get into" subjects and learn about them, the current one being time domain reflectometry used in soil moisture sensors.
Heck, first build a $25 model that'll find broken irrigation-control sprinkler wires. I'll buy two. I'll even pay S&H.

And I have to admit, it'd be nice for the sprinklers to only come on in those areas that have dried out. Maybe a five-cent sensor incorporated into each & every sprinkler head, with its own mini control valve.

Then you'll have discovered your "meaningful purpose", and you'll have too much money to worry about what else you'll do all day...

Heck, first build a $25 model that'll find broken irrigation-control sprinkler wires. I'll buy two. I'll even pay S&H.

And I have to admit, it'd be nice for the sprinklers to only come on in those areas that have dried out. Maybe a five-cent sensor incorporated into each & every sprinkler head, with its own mini control valve.

Then you'll have discovered your "meaningful purpose", and you'll have too much money to worry about what else you'll do all day...

Great ideas, will I owe you a cut:confused: :dance:

Webzter said:
I bet you could sit down and think up 20 things that fascinate you. 20 ideas that sound interesting.
Uhhhhh.... NO, not that many, unfortunately!
I'll be you could easily come up with 20, have you actually tried?

Again, I'd recommend the Get-A-Life Tree exercise in Ernie Zelinski's book How to Retire Wild, Happy & Free (as many others have) as a way to make it easy - you can most likely get it at your local library. It's much easier than just sitting down with a blank piece of paper.

People have posted their lists here several times before, might give you some inspiration.

It's not enough to retire from something, you have to have something better to retire to.

All I know is since we left the workforce we constantly wonder how we ever found time to work. We go days without turning a TV on, there are so many books to read, gardens to tend, volunteer organizations to help, recipes to try, home projects to finish etc. etc. etc. DH built some beautiful furniture and several wooden boats, I have made quilts and got involved in a pottery studio. All fun and rewarding. And it is great to travel off season when everyone else has to work and be able to grab the cheapest airfare because you can be flexible in your travel dates. We take long bike rides, spend time at the YMCA and Yoga studio or hiking. My DIL's know if they have a childcare emergency they only have to call and I'll be in the car on the way- they don't live too close so it is definitely an occasional thing, but I love it.

You get out of life what you put into it.

Again, I'd recommend the Get-A-Life Tree exercise in Ernie Zelinski's book How to Retire Wild, Happy & Free

In reality, I keep myself occupied all the time and hardly ever watch TV. I guess I don't "get" the part about how that would be my whole life, not just the free time part.

DW is the one who can't find anything to do with herself besides go to work (she teaches at the university so it's not just 8-5) and we've had many, many conversations about how she will be very unhappy and hard to live with unless she has some structure in retirement. She talks about doing this and that but often never follows through. She's very good about the things she enjoys, such as painting (inside walls, not pictures) but has trouble finding new things. Talked for years about Habitat but never pursed it. Maybe that would change when she had nothing else.

I think that exercise sounds very interesting, I'll check it out! Thanks!

My DIL's know if they have a childcare emergency they only have to call and I'll be in the car on the way- they don't live too close so it is definitely an occasional thing, but I love it.
Could you say what you mean distance or time wise? I helped recently with my granddaughter when they abruptly fired their Nanny. They are only 2 miles away, and it is very easy.

What distance or time do you have to travel in one of these situations? Today's young people are so amazingly overworked that I wouldn't expect much out of my children unless I can stay quite close, and convince them to call on me rather than reaching for their billfolds when some little thing occurs. This is one good reason for working to find good peers. They are more likely to have time available.

Ha

Don't think so much. ;)

Seriously, sometimes all the purpose you need in life is to be good to your fellow humans, do some good deeds for others in worse shape than you are, and bring a smile to someone's lonely or sad face. The possibilities are endless, and you often don't have to look too far to find someone to help. :flowers:

Don't think so much. ;)

Seriously, sometimes all the purpose you need in life is to be good to your fellow humans, do some good deeds for others in worse shape than you are, and bring a smile to someone's lonely or sad face. The possibilities are endless, and you often don't have to look too far to find someone to help. :flowers:

Quote of the day:D

Seriously, when I've felt depressed in the past, I was always successful overcoming that by doing kind things for someone else! I'm not sure what you're responding to but I agree with your comment. The point of my message was more focused on my work life and my quest to make up for lack of satisfaction in that arena in the past, not my personal life. Being good to others and doing good deeds at work may make you well liked (can also get you in trouble! :facepalm:) but there's more to the satisfaction I'm seeking.

All I know is since we left the workforce we constantly wonder how we ever found time to work. We go days without turning a TV on, there are so many books to read, gardens to tend, volunteer organizations to help, recipes to try, home projects to finish etc. etc. etc. DH built some beautiful furniture and several wooden boats, I have made quilts and got involved in a pottery studio. All fun and rewarding. And it is great to travel off season when everyone else has to work and be able to grab the cheapest airfare because you can be flexible in your travel dates. We take long bike rides, spend time at the YMCA and Yoga studio or hiking. My DIL's know if they have a childcare emergency they only have to call and I'll be in the car on the way- they don't live too close so it is definitely an occasional thing, but I love it.

You get out of life what you put into it.
Awesome post! This inspires me to keep working toward this goal...:D

Don't think so much. ;)

This Makes sense, if you don't think about it too much. :)

Back
Top Bottom