Join Early Retirement Today

Meeting ones of like mind
Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Meeting ones of like mind

I don't know about you but neighbors and even family don't 'get it' about saving and retiring. They don't understand that you don't HAVE to have TV, the newest iPhone etc.

I am curious how we can meet those of like minds when we move to South Carolina...any ideas on how one can meet those FIRE type individuals [just learned what FIRE stood for today and I love it!]
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hard to find folks who 'get it', that's one reason for the success of this board.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

That's what I was afraid of...am brand new here...care to share what the dryer sheets comments under name is about...still learning the culture
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here ya go:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ets-44456.html
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
I don't know about you but neighbors and even family don't 'get it' about saving and retiring. They don't understand that you don't HAVE to have TV, the newest iPhone etc.

I am curious how we can meet those of like minds when we move to South Carolina...any ideas on how one can meet those FIRE type individuals [just learned what FIRE stood for today and I love it!]
Welcome to the site. If I were going to a new spot and wanted to make some friends that shared my interests, I'd go to meetup.com and find a group or two there. You can just go to "social" meetups (or maybe investment clubs), and you'll be able to find one or two people of like-mind. You might need to fend-off sales people, but you might just run into a few folks that are on the same page as you. Find out where they feed their passion (might not be a group registered on meetup, for instance, but you can start hanging out with those folks).

Where 'bout in SC? I'm in Charlotte NC.

--Dale--
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard. Whatever you are interested in, if you do it during the normal work day, you will bump into other people that have "gotten it".
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Have looked at Asheville and Greenville...SC appears to be a better tax advantaged state.

Appreciate the replies!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have looked at Asheville and Greenville...SC appears to be a better tax advantaged state.

Appreciate the replies!
Welcome! I've stopped talking with friends or family about this. They don't "get it" and are perplexed, jealous, angry, etc. I don't get why my CPA cousin thinks he needs to work to 65. I mean, the dude makes well into 6 figures forever and I don't think they waste money, but what do I know? I digress...

So, Asheville and Greenville are very different culture-wise. I've grown less fond of Asheville as the culture has changed, but that may not be your preference. I have family in Asheville who live in SC 80% of the year due to taxes, so you are right, that is a consideration. We're in NC for now. Not sure what we'll do after FIRE, but probably stick here since roots run deep.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have lived in seattle so get the liberal culture but we also appreciate fiscal conservatives...goes without saying....which is more like greenville. We aren't religious, but figure it's a big enough area to deal with those that aren't church goers. Looked across the entire country for where to live...no kids so aren't tied to anywhere...keep coming back to SC for the growing season(plan to bigtime garden after FIRE and lakes and camping for entertianment along with cost of living.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NC is my home state, where I grew up. My hometown is only about a 15 minute drive the the NC/SC state line. I've lived most of my adult life in Texas and Louisiana, and will likely retire in Louisiana. I go back to NC a few times a year to visit family. Louisiana & Texas are both hard to beat tax-wise. More so Lousiana, due to very low property taxes. Texas has no state income tax. I work in Texas currently, but again, am more likely to retire in LA. My federal pensions won't be taxed in either LA or TX, but LA will tax my 401k withdrawals. Still, the much lower property taxes in LA will more than make up the difference. All that said, my opinion on NC vs. SC for retirement, assuming you have no particular reason for living in either (no family you want to be near) I would say it would at least partly depend on the nature of your retirement income. If it's a federal or military pension, then it might not be taxed in NC. NC does however, have a "personal property tax" that you might want to learn about. I like both states, particularly enjoy the beaches and other outdoor activites (I'm a fisherman). Both states are in my opinion beautiful. I'm partial to the pines. We have those in LA & Texas as well. Asheville is beautiful, but is too touristy for my taste. I like the smaller towns in both states, but that's just me. I really hate traffic. Because I do have family & friends in NC, I would choose that state, but otherwise I think either would probably be a great choice.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have lived in seattle so get the liberal culture but we also appreciate fiscal conservatives...goes without saying....which is more like greenville. We aren't religious, but figure it's a big enough area to deal with those that aren't church goers. Looked across the entire country for where to live...no kids so aren't tied to anywhere...keep coming back to SC for the growing season(plan to bigtime garden after FIRE and lakes and camping for entertianment along with cost of living.
OK, that's good. Just as long as you've researched it. Despite some of the stereotypes portrayed in media, I find living in this part of the South to be full of diversity with room for people and thoughts of all types. I could live in either of those cities. You just have to be aware of the dominating topics of the day in an area. Sometimes it gets old if it the topic isn't your thing. BTW, Greenville and Asheville share TV stations, so you get cultural mix at news time.

Camping? Check!

Gardening? Check! I spent the entire day doing prep today. Wonderful day today, nearly 70.

Hot weather? Check! Uh oh! Beware of that. Not sure where you are now, but this ain't Seattle! Greenville can be hot and humid for 8 weeks at a time without a break in the middle of summer. Some from the West coast can never make the adjustment.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Grew up on louisville ky which can be hot and unreal humid in youth and we didn't have a/c in our cars....think a lot of that is staying trim...heat and weight don't mix.

Oh and love bluegrass!

Hope crime isn't bad...have researched and is more than other places. We are in denver now and is just too white bread and nothing to do unless you ski or are willing to drive a long way into the mountains....and too cold..no growing season to speak of
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
NC does however, have a "personal property tax" that you might want to learn about.
When I moved here, I couldn't stop loving the pine trees. Like nothing I'd ever seen. Then a hurricane dropped a few on my house so now it is love-hate.

As for the personal property tax... OK, this irked me when I moved to NC because it was new to me. Basically, how it works is this: you take the value of your cars and boats (and some other stuff I don't remember which I don't have) and it gets taxed at the house property rate.

So, if your house is worth 200k, and your car 20k, you basically pay tax on 220k. But because the property tax is so low, this isn't a horrible cost. I'm much more affected by the relatively high income tax in NC right now.

I cannot comment on pensions since I will never have one.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting tax structure.

I think it was like that in KY but that was in my youth when i dodn't pay attention to that kind of stuff.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Grew up on louisville ky which can be hot and unreal humid in youth and we didn't have a/c in our cars....think a lot of that is staying trim...heat and weight don't mix.
Ah, then you'll be OK. Greenville has a longer period of hot than KY, but the maxes are similar. Asheville is definitely cooler, but still muggy.

Not sure about crime. That's very dependent on the local area.

Growing season is nearly year round here and Greenville. (Central NC is very similar to Greenville area) Asheville has a bit more winter.

On a lark, I actually planted broccoli last early November. We harvested some small heads in mid January! The downside is I basically only have 10 or 12 weeks off in the winter for cutting grass. Always something to do in the garden.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually miss warm evenings...seattle and denver bith have cool evenings you can't sit outside comfortably...i know bugs come with the warmth...that am not looking forward to but see screened in porches are the rave
Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Striking up conversations about a purchase or a bill or even a thrift store will separate people out.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

You got that right...at work i try to help young people realize what they're doing every time they go out for lunch and pay 7 for a sandwich or when i hear them say they 'want' a new care, iphone etc. I do this....if that latte costs 5 then i multiply it time 2 and figure if i saved that money that is the true cost of a 'want' and then make the decision
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if I would want to know anyone with a mind like mine...

Variety is the spice of life. I've got mine, they've got theirs. Everyone is happy.

Tally ho!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aside from "meeting" great people here online - try going to lectures at the nearest university, or anywhere. That might be a way to meet people of like mind. Anything but bars Well, depends what you want to meet - but that wouldn't be the frugal hot spot!