Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Good grief is so true.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

She may be self taught, she may be recently trained, but she is clearly a skilled marketer. After all, she has us reading her blog, none of which is new or particularly helpful to people who already are working a successful plan.

If she sticks around until her book comes out, she will get some sales off this site. Also, she gets additional traffic to her blog, all of which should help her find a publisher.

Play Buzz Word Bingo on her site. Doesn't take long to hear Bingo!

The value of her advice hardly matters. Her advice isn't the point. She is young, female, photogenic and knows buzz speak. She is even passionate! Of course so is Rob Bennet, but somehow that just doesn't seem the same.

She has been on TV after all. How do you really sell personal finance books? The same way you sell diet books, relationship books, exercise books- get yourself on Oprah.

All this and she's a Mommy too.

So please let's not attack her or defend her. She is doing just fine. It won't matter if her investment methods turn out to be not so good over time, becasue she will have something better. A successful, easily run business.

Some of us may someday have the energy and chutzpah to try something like this; she is giving us a free template.

Meanwhile her husband who would rather crawl around the business end of sewer pipes (for fun mind you) than play golf or take a gourmet cooking class can continue to have fun the way he likes.

Ha
Old 01-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah, moderation at last.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Meanwhile her husband who would rather crawl around the business end of sewer pipes (for fun mind you) than play golf or take a gourmet cooking class can continue to have fun the way he likes.

Ha
Something about that sound not quite kosher to you? I didn't think of it that way, but now that you mention it...

I think that MMND is getting some flack because she is showing a dangerously high reading on the hoco-meter.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #65

Quote:
So please let's not attack her or defend her. She is doing just fine. It won't matter if her investment methods turn out to be not so good over time, becasue she will have something better. A successful, easily run business.
I think the fact that she's intelligent and interesting and *new* here should be enough. No need to question her motives. No need for the volunteer posse to round her up. No need for a preemptive strike.

How about a simple welcome and perhaps an engaging conversation or two?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #66

Good thing she's not in college then, eh.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I think the fact that she's intelligent and interesting and *new* here should be enough. No need to question her motives. No need for the volunteer posse to round her up. No need for a preemptive strike.

How about a simple welcome and perhaps an engaging coversation or two?
I think we are up to about a dozen engaging conversations all on two threads.

As for motives, I would generally agree except that her first post included a marketing link and just about every post references her blog. I am mostly convinced she isn't simply a spammer or scam artist, but not quite all the way there. But I could say the same about Suze Orman and Barrack Obama.

- George Orwell

Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As for motives, I would generally agree except that her first post included a marketing link and just about every post references her blog. I am mostly convinced she isn't simply a spammer or scam artist, but not quite all the way there. But I could say the same about Suze Orman and Barrack Obama.
She may turn out to be the devil incarnate. Wouldn't that be great.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
No, I already did say I don't know if it's a problem. But it does raise a red flag.
Titles to books cannot be copyrighted. That is why different books can end up with the same title.

A book title in and of itself also cannot be trademarked, but there are circumstances where a trademark can later develop if the title is used to market other goods or services beyond that first book.

Not legal advice, but there is a lot of legal assumptions that are going on in this thread.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She may turn out to be the devil incarnate. Wouldn't that be great.
I always thought Suze was. Oh, you are talking about MMND...

Nah. Not persistent enough. Look at how doggedly persistent h05uk was in his nonsense. Couldn't leave it alone for 5 minutes, musta been peeing into the wastebasket at his desk so he could keep writing. In contrast, MMND has clearly had almost enough to produce an extended absence.

- George Orwell

Old 01-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How about a simple welcome and perhaps an engaging conversation or two?
Oh Twaddle, you are so nice today. And it isn't even a sunny day.

Ha
Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #72

Quote:
Oh Twaddle, you are so nice today. And it isn't even a sunny day.
You don't know how hard it was to find a phone booth so I could change into my superhero costume.

Twaddle, Defender of Trolls, reporting for duty!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #73
Gone but not forgotten

Martha ,
It may be time to use your whip !
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionaireMommyNextDoor View Post
Please, rather than accuse me of something I haven't done, tell me what YOU would have done differently, please.
Martha said to drop it, so I will. But I will also answer your question more explicitly since you asked. What I would have done in your shoes is the following things:

If I considered my blog a personal enterprise, I would:

1. Provided a link back to the original press release.
2. Put quotation marks around the material that you quoted.
3. Indicate that JKLasser holds a copyright and that the material was used with permission.

If I considered my blog a professional enterprise, I would also research what the standards of attribution are, by looking at other well-known blogs, and perhaps the websites of well-respected newspapers to see what they do.

It sounds like your intent was good, and I appreciate that. I also admire you sticking it out here through the rough welcome you've received (part of that roughness being from me). I had my hackles up in response to your first several posts and was too mean in what I wrote above. I apologize for my tone.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

What is it, specifically, about my very brief participation here on this forum that has some of you so riled up? Never in my life have I experienced such a gang-up.

I came here because I don't know any FIRE folks personally and I'd like to share conversation, tips, yes - even enjoy the occasional debate - with people that have been-there-done-that. Contrary to popular speculation here, I HAVE NOTHING TO SELL YOU. Even if/when I write a book, it would be for financial newbies, not forum members here. I have nothing financially to gain by participating on this forum! If you're here, you don't need my "advice".

I've found that the personal finance blogosphere is full of in-debt writers blogging about their journey to financial solvency. While I enjoy my conversations with these nice folks, my intention is to reach out to people who are experiencing the FIRE phase of their life, too.

Is there something I can do to ease this mistrust? Is it possible to move on to constructive conversation here?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Martha ,
It may be time to use your whip !
Well, I gave a few cracks of the whip but people aren't paying too much attention!

Come on, let's give the poor woman a chance. She is keeping her cool and answers to the point. And she isn't the one who keeps bringing up her blog, that is everyone else. So discussions of her blog are hardly off base.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

SecondCor521, One more time - I did exactly what they wanted me to do - including linking to their homepage, not the press release page. They saw that I posted their PR and emailed me with a thank you and offered to send me a book for review. As book publishers, THEY benefit by doing this, because it gets the word out about their new book. I get this request from authors and writers ALL THE TIME. I did NOTHING inappropriate.

Whew. I appreciate your apology. Let's kiss and make up and move on, okay?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #78

Quote:
What is it, specifically, about my very brief participation here on this forum that has some of you so riled up? Never in my life have I experienced such a gang-up.
You've done nothing wrong. Some residents here are trigger-happy, and they tend to herd together when somebody doesn't pass their sniff test. They're protecting themselves from any possible exploitation. (Please ignore the fact that this site is supported by ad revenue).

Sniff-test triggers include being polished and self-confident. Oh, and having a blog.

Personally, I'm happy to hear a new voice. This place can sometimes get a little inbred, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Is there something I can do to ease this mistrust? Is it possible to move on to constructive conversation here?
I tried to articulate my answer to your first question on your "Hi I am thread", so I won't repeat that here.

I will say publicly that based on your initial posts and their similarity to some other posters who have come and gone, I didn't expect you to stay. I also didn't expect you to follow up on my board posts with a private email. The fact that you have done both of those gives you a lot of "street cred" in my book.

I think if you stick around and continue to read and post, we can learn a lot from each other. I know I've learned a lot from you today...not about personal finance, but a more valuable lesson about people.

2Cor521

P.S. -- Welcome to the board.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whew. I appreciate your apology. Let's kiss and make up and move on, okay?
Absolutely.

2Cor521
Closed Thread