Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #161
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

I hope she realizes that this thread now comes up second, after her blog if you google her name...
I hope the ownership here realizes how this will reflect on on E-R.org if this thread is viewed by that search without the disclaimer that "you have to understand our culture and history". Did we just stop short of calling her a [moderator edit]?

Appealing the ruling that deleted words were inflamatory.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Meh. If a man made the same initial post and claims, would we have hesitated to label him an "[self-edited]"? I don't think gender had much to do with this play...

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Did we just stop short of calling her a*******?
I certainly hope I did not, given my prior posting that I don't like ad hominem attacks.

If anyone thinks I did I would appreciate a pointer to where I said anything negative about her personally that wasn't justified.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #164
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
BTW, I think I now understand why her DH 'enjoys' spending a few days a week doing dirty, wet, smelly plumbing work in cramped corners.
SC521 My post was in response to this. The fact that you questioned yourself raises you in my esteem FWIW.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

As you folks deconstruct, don't forget you are talking about real people here.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
1) We have lots of obnoxious folks here
Yep, and you're one of them.

Lets get real for a minute here. Re-read the thread afresh with a cleansed palate.

We have a new poster, seems a bit spammish and advertisingish, gets a little skepticism, answers direct questions indirectly, suggests newsletters and market timing investing schemes, gets more skepticism, claims she's being persecuted for being a woman, answers more direct questions indirectly, in the middle of this a couple of board malcontents decided to pour gas on the fire with their incessant whining about how they dont like the board and its occupants and this being a prime example of some sort of alleged tar and feathering, then the OP rants like a 12 year old on the way to taking her ball and going home.

Follow up with a chaser of more board malcontents whining about how they dont like it here, mixed with the usual anti-moderator whining from people who do nothing to help solve the boards issues and everything to create dissension.

There was no ganging up, no unfair treatment, no running of the razor wire, nada.

This forum stuff is easy: introduce yourself, answer questions directly, provide and receive information, take a little razzing here and there and give some back. Learn and evolve, support and be supported.

Rinse and repeat.

I read the "blog" and the rest of the material. To steal someone elses private comment about it, its a mile wide and an inch deep. Infomercial quality stuff designed to get tv and speaking appearances and book requests. Certainly EVERYONE is interesting and has a certain perspective. Not sure we're seriously deficient without this one.

As far as this oft muttered "herd mentality" goes, among the longest term board posters, we have a dozen people with the most ridiculously different investment profiles and approaches to ER that such a suggestion is enormously laughable. Are you telling me that between people like me, Nords, Rich, Martha, Haha, Unclemick, Brewer and the rest that anyone can REALLY see any core similarity in how we go about our business?!? Ridiculous!!!

And for the record, I own very little passive index investments. I just dont like fluff and bullshit.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Forget cookies UM, all I can think about is pea soup.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
BTW, I think I now understand why her DH 'enjoys' spending a few days a week doing dirty, wet, smelly plumbing work in cramped corners.
Quote:
SC521 My post was in response to this. The fact that you questioned yourself raises you in my esteem FWIW.
honobob, I only posted that remark after MMND's childish (apparently) final retort. It was a small attempt at a little levity. As they say 'humor is a funny thing'. Sorry if what I thought was a bit humorous was something that you thought was offensive. But I think there is a fair chance that there is a shred of truth to it. Or maybe not.

Sandy & CFB covered it pretty well. And MMND had a chance to recover, she decided to throw a tantrum instead. Life goes on.

And throwing in the 'gender card' right away was way over the top for her. Again, a little look around would quickly show that is not an issue on this forum. That might even have something to do with the fact that most 'successful' people learned early on that that behavior wasn't going to help them anyway. Heck, with some of these screen names, I'm not even sure of the gender of the poster sometimes, and I only care so that I slip and don't call a she a he or vice versa.

-ERD50
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heck, with some of these screen names, I'm not even sure of the gender of the poster sometimes, and I only care so that I slip and don't call a she a he or vice versa.
Exactly. By the way, that's all the more reason for people who have enigmatic screen names like ERD50 (or Want2Retire) to put something in their profile indicating their gender, at least!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
As far as this oft muttered "herd mentality" goes, among the longest term board posters, we have a dozen people with the most ridiculously different investment profiles and approaches to ER that such a suggestion is enormously laughable. Are you telling me that between people like me, Nords, Rich, Martha, Haha, Unclemick, Brewer and the rest that anyone can REALLY see any core similarity in how we go about our business?!? Ridiculous!!
Yes, you all are really a diverse bunch.

I consider myself to be nearly a newbie, having appeared on the board just a year ago and being a scientist with no background in personal finance or any other related subject. So maybe I can give a newbie perspective.

I have participated in numerous message boards, and before that, usenet news groups, for 20+ years. It seems to me that this message board has been one of the easiest for me to fit in with, of any that can recall. As I told MMND, people here are charming, bright, and fascinating to discuss ER issues with. If someone has a problem getting along with the regulars on this message board, they'd have a problem getting along anywhere. Sometimes the problem isn't with the group, y'know?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Exactly. By the way, that's all the more reason for people who have enigmatic screen names like ERD50 (or Want2Retire) to put something in their profile indicating their gender, at least!
OK, that was the little push I needed to finally update my general location to Northern IL (which is pertinent to some threads), thanks.

But the 'gender' thing remains private. Oh, I see, you added it to the 'biography' section - OK.

Everything has a downside though, you come across shocking revelations like this:

'My avatar is a photo of Eva Habermann, not me.' Another dream shattered

-ERD50
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #173
gone traveling

Quote:
honobob, I only posted that remark after MMND's childish (apparently) final retort. It was a small attempt at a little levity. As they say 'humor is a funny thing'. Sorry if what I thought was a bit humorous was something that you thought was offensive. But I think there is a fair chance that there is a shred of truth to it. Or maybe not.

Sandy & CFB covered it pretty well. And MMND had a chance to recover, she decided to throw a tantrum instead. Life goes on.

And throwing in the 'gender card' right away was way over the top for her. Again, a little look around would quickly show that is not an issue on this forum.
-ERD50
Can we stop a minute and reflect that the original post was in "Hi, I am".....not fire and money....stock picking....live your life like me......just HI! I also didn't think her last post was final or childish. Not as funny as it could have been given the material she had to work with but all in all a "B" for effort. And yet you still persist in trying to call her a *********or maybe not. Maybe this is your attempt at a running gag? I think we're expecting too much from new posters and too little from long time posters. Just saying. When I log in it says welcome Honobob. Can't we say Welcome MMND and attack in the appropriate thread?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Everything has a downside though, you come across shocking revelations like this:

-ERD50
The real thing may be even better ...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, that was the little push I needed to finally update my general location to Northern IL (which is pertinent to some threads), thanks.

But the 'gender' thing remains private. Oh, I see, you added it to the 'biography' section - OK.

-ERD50
Hee hee!! I would have explained that she is a German actress and model, but there wasn't any room. In real life, I am a dumpy, grey (or is it white?) haired 59 year old woman with glasses.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
The real thing may be even better ...
Sorry! At 59, I'd say that, well, I both act and look my age.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hee hee!! I would have explained that she is a German actress and model, but there wasn't any room. In real life, I am a dumpy, grey (or is it white?) haired 59 year old woman with glasses.
Wow go figure Im dumpy too with gray hair. Small world!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Brown haired and 46.

See how frickin diverse we are, yet can all still get along?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Brown haired and 46.

See how frickin diverse we are, yet can all still get along?
But your profile says you're 78. Somehow I didn't visualize you as a doddering old man of 78. Now 46 I would believe.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #180
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
grey (or is it white?) haired 59 year old woman with glasses.
I wished I had grey hair

M "baldy" B
Closed Thread