Moment of Truth

So for the last 7-weeks I've been grieving the loss and angry about a decision I could not control. Slowly I've realized this to be a "buddhist gift." Seeing the opportunity in events that happen.
Only 6 more weeks to go before your retirement journey begins.

My retirement date was supposed to be July 1, 2020--thought of it as my independence day, but it's been over a year now that I've been retired :D

Enjoy it!

The truth is I'm conflicted on how this has come about. In February, I had chosen to stay at the j$b for 1 more year, because the last 5-years had been challenging and fun. In early April, word came down from administration that half my department (the best half) would be canceled and I would be reassigned.

So for the last 7-weeks I've been grieving the loss and angry about a decision I could not control. Slowly I've realized this to be a "buddhist gift." Seeing the opportunity in events that happen.

File for Unemployment, just to bug them.

My first things first list upon graduation to full fun-ment:

1. Slept in and then my wife and I got take out coffee and sat in the park not believing our good fortune.
2. Cleaned out the closets -- donated most of the still serviceable work clothes to charity; but kept a nice suit and two sports coats for dress up events.
3. Moved my alarm clock and ties to the top of the bedroom closet, which would necessitate using a step stool for access. The idea here was to make sure I had a damn good reason for going to the trouble of retrieving these.
4. Arranged with my neighbor to walk her young dog a few times a week -- all the fun of a mutt; but without the responsibility. Worked out very well.
5. Began our travel planning in earnest - an average of 1 trip every 6 weeks. No end in sight.

-BB

38Chevy454 -

My DW and I have compiled a nest egg of $3.4 M and have a yearly expense of $130k. This includes health care, family support, vacations, fun, and basic living needs.

I'll be receiving travia leave for unused sick leave and vacation days after retiring on July 1st which will carry me for 3-months. Once I begin receiving SS, my DW and I will collect 50k, leaving 80k for our investments to cover. I've calculated a 2.5% withdrawal rate to cover the rest of the budget.
Do people include the house they are living in in the nest egg? I am not sure if I should.

Retire2017 - love your handle. My DW and I rent an apt, so this doesn't come up for me.

Do people include the house they are living in in the nest egg? I am not sure if I should.

I think most people here include only "investable assets" in their nest egg. Our home is part of our net worth, but not something I include when plugging my numbers into FIRECalc.

Just completed the paperwork to freedom, which I'll submit on Monday.
Maybe demote yourself to bottom half, to get a layoff and unemployment?
Just kidding.
Best wishes.

I think most people here include only "investable assets" in their nest egg. Our home is part of our net worth, but not something I include when plugging my numbers into FIRECalc.

Like REWahoo, we don't include ours in calculations, which are based on portfolio assets. BUT, like presently-promised social security, it is a subjective factor that we realize is likely to give us some wiggle room. (Our house is on 25 acres platted for subdivisions and we are getting surrounded. At some point we will accept offer and move into much smaller home in city core.)

2. Cleaned out the closets -- donated most of the still serviceable work clothes to charity; but kept a nice suit and two sports coats for dress up events.
-BB

After a year and a half I finally, last week, got rid of the last of the work clothes. If anybody dies now I'll have to go to the funeral in black jeans.

I submitted retirement papers this morning and I'm really, really happy! A weight does in fact seem to lift. My chest feels like it expands bigger when I breathe. Very cool!

What were some of the first things you did after retiring?
I submitted retirement papers this morning and I'm really, really happy! A weight does in fact seem to lift. My chest feels like it expands bigger when I breathe. Very cool!
Congratulations, BGold!!

I retired about 3 months before my dear boyfriend of the past 17 years, Frank. Some of the things I did that first week was learn to sleep in, go grocery shopping at 9 AM on a weekday when nobody was there, go to the gym for a couple of hours every day, take naps, and generally enjoy life while trying to be more active. It was great! In between all that I e-mailed Frank who was at work and tried to keep his spirits up.

Then when Frank retired, we had plenty to do because we could do things together. He started going to the gym with me and we started eating lunch out every day together. Between the two of us we had plenty of ideas of things to do that would be fun, such as pleasure drives, projects, trips to the library, and so on. We found more than enough to do, once we had the time for it.

Retirement is SUCH an exhilarating experience. That feeling in your chest is just the beginning of exciting, wonderful times to come. :)

Congratulations, BGold. Does your Ivy'd Grove of Academe provide retiree benefits? Mine gave me health insurance at 50% (as opposed to 30% when I w*rked) - that's been great. I've also got free parking and admission to various university events and access to the health club, but the place is nearly 100 miles away, so I let those things lapse. I did keep my email address and library access - it gives me the .edu rate on the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal.

Nightcap - Once I turn 65, the health care coverage is extremely affordable, an email with a dot ret will be available, and I receive "travia" leave for all unused annual and sick leave.

12 days to retirement - 7 w@rk days! I've been practicing by taking my excess vacation days on Mondays and Tuesdays. My DW, who is already retired for over a year has graded me an "A" so far. I plan to ace this retirement thing. LOL!

Outstanding! Enjoy your time.

Your happy countdown rings a bell.

Yesterday was Father's Day,and we celebrated with some of our family. Our eldest son who is a lawyer, is even closer to the final hour. As he left, his last comment was... "Only 65 more hours." Wednesday is his last day.

As his position as lead attorney in a risk management firm is fraught with high anxiety and constant pressure, it's going to take him a while to decompress. In the next week, he's moving from Naperville, to Sarasota, so a different world.

Will follow both of you over the coming year. ;)

In the next week, he's moving from Naperville to Sarasota, so a different world.

The low season in Sarasota is a good time to arrive and depressurize. The high season (January - April) is becoming so unpleasant (read: busy) that I might become a reverse snowbird someday. In my 10 years in Sarasota, I've only met one person who does this, but it might become more popular as overdevelopment continues. I hope your son enjoys his new home!

Your happy countdown rings a bell.

Yesterday was Father's Day,and we celebrated with some of our family. Our eldest son who is a lawyer, is even closer to the final hour. As he left, his last comment was... "Only 65 more hours." Wednesday is his last day.

As his position as lead attorney in a risk management firm is fraught with high anxiety and constant pressure, it's going to take him a while to decompress. In the next week, he's moving from Naperville, to Sarasota, so a different world.

Will follow both of you over the coming year. ;)

Counting down the hours...now that's due diligence! LOL

Back
Top Bottom