Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

More Texans on board
Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

More Texans on board

Delurking here, have been reading for a LONG time and feel like I already know all you regulars well.

ICU RN of 25 years currently taking a trial run at RE (week 3 in progress). Love many things about my work but we live in Texas so dealing with all the scorpion attack victims and ebola has finally taken its' toll . DH is 61, has run his own business (from home) for last 14 years and is letting it taper down to PT. We're contemplating SERIOUS retirement in 09...

Two daughters still at home. Daughter 1 is 20 and attending community college while living at home. She's bright but a little behind on the maturity curve so this was a good thing. Daughter 2 is 17, a HS senior and National Merit Scholar. She worked hard all through school and was able to choose from several "full ride" scholarship offers. She'll be going to UTD in the fall. THAT made our retirement date considerably more flexible.

I took over our investing in 2000 (he was too busy and too disgusted!) and we're comfortable with where we are. Both made plenty of mistakes along the way but it's worked out anyway. DH served in VN, then completed 20 yrs. in reserves which gives us a bit of a pension and, most importantly, TRICARE.

I'm a lifelong LBYMer, DH a convertee soon after we were married in the 80s. Kids have caught it too -- I love it!

Can't tell you how many times I *didn't* jump in on the boards with a comment due to not having completed this formality (introduction). So here goes...

kjrn
kjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: More Texans on board
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Welcome kjrn, glad you decided to come out from behind the curtain and introduce yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrn

ICU RN of 25 years currently taking a trial run at RE (week 3 in progress). Love many things about my work but we live in Texas so dealing with all the scorpion attack victims and ebola has finally taken its' toll...
Only those who have seen the loss of life and devastation first hand can truly appreciate what you've gone through. You and the first responders deserve our eternal gratitude for saving the lives of the few who survive the trip to the (other) ER. You are my hero(ine).

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome,
I'm also an RN recently (7 months) retired and loving it .I spent most of my years in the OR or Radiology. Don't let your fellow nurses talk you into staying by saying you'll be bored .You won't be bored at all .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Howdy fellow Texan,
I too lurked here for over a year before decloaking but finally just couldn't keep from entering the fray.
We don't have too much trouble along the gulf coast with ebola or scorpions but hurricanes, necrotizing fasciitis, sharks and the portuguese men o war are a major worry down here. Not to mention the semi annual invasion of crazed drunken sex-starved college students from the other 47 states.....I don't know how we survive.
Again, welcome....
2fer

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrn
Love many things about my work but we live in Texas so dealing with all the scorpion attack victims and ebola has finally taken its' toll .
You Texicans crack me up! I was one of you, but I had to move to Looyzeeanna for my job with Unca Sam in '96. My wife is a native Texan, I was just a transplant, but I expect we'll end up living back down in Bastrop County (near Austin) sometime in the future. ER is 5 yrs away for me, a couple more for DW. Hopefully Texas will still be inhabitable after all the various plagues and poisonous critters have run their course!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you guys for the very nice welcome.

Moemg - Warning is well heeded. In a decompression mode for now, boredom isn't on the horizon.

And Marty -- we'll save a spot for you!

kj
kjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another RN to RN welcome. I bailed out 5/21/06 so I have an anniversary coming up soon. . I will second what Momeg said. You will also get the "We still need you" pressures. Don't fall for it. Why are nurses expected to "Die in the saddle? You did your bit, now pass the baton. Your going to enjoy this new chapter in your life and guess what you earned it. welcome.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.