Join Early Retirement Today

Mulling it Over...
Old 10-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Mulling it Over...

I have been lurking this forum and enjoying all the positive attitudes about ER, as well as the humor.

I 'm pretty weary of my occupation at times and would like to transition
to ER as soon as my numbers add up...thinking about part time consulting
and other options. *A *little wary of accepted SWR assumptions though...

RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Keep Mulling
Old 10-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Keep Mulling

You've got to be comfortable with your particular numbers. The important concept is you're now in the game, plotting and planning to make ER your reality. I'm the same age as you, not quite 50, but knowing it's time to go. I've got a modest but rock solid Pension with Colas to count on, so SWR's are more of an object of study rather than worry for me. The "accepted" 4 percent rule seems pretty conservative, and obviously you'd never want to cut it so close that a few bad years would be even ablel to hurt you let alone do you in.

If you've tracked your expenses and are finding what you really need to live a comfortable lifestyle without risk, it's then a math equation about getting enough saved to accomodate or looking for less expensive lifestyle alternatives. I'm assuming you've looked at all those things, mortage paid off, moving to a less expensive area, reduced costs in a non-working life, etc etc etc.

Figure it out, make it so number one. I'm pulling out in 2006 at 51 come heck or high water.