Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My introduction
Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, and Nords, I've had a chance to look through those links, and I'm ready any time for whatever else you can throw at me! Feel free to send it by PM, if you don't want to clutter up the public areas, and if you don't mind then I may have some more specific questions to ask at some point.

Thanks again!
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Oh, and Nords, I've had a chance to look through those links, and I'm ready any time for whatever else you can throw at me! Feel free to send it by PM, if you don't want to clutter up the public areas, and if you don't mind then I may have some more specific questions to ask at some point.
Thanks again!*
You'll want to get a feel for the local issues. Here's one local newspaper, and here's the other. This ain't exactly the Washington Post. However Honolulu has a Craigslist now, so they're feeling the competition breathing down their necks.

Real estate is not cheap-- here's the Honolulu Board of Realtors for more info. The Stott family real estate business also does a good job and George has an excellent monthly e-mail update for absentee owners. It's a good way to get a feel for the real estate market in small monthly doses.

Traffic is ugly during rush hours. It's susceptible to fender-benders at any time, and there's not many alternate routes on any of the islands. Public transportation is not as robust as you would hope.

Here's where (CFB) gets his Hawaiian-language inspiration. The Beamers have brought a lot to Hawaii's music, too. "Honolulu City Lights" still brings tears to my eyes...

You'll want to learn more about this, too. Luckily Hawaii is one of the most friendly in the nation for retirees, not so much for workers.

The state library has assembled a huge pile of links for just about any other questions.

Finally, this is the Hawaii link that I use most often.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Guess life's just not fair. *

Gotta love Kinky's campaign slogans:* "Why the Hell not?" and "How hard could it be?"

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/platform/

Kinky Friedman, musician and author, is running as an independent for the governorship of TX.

His plan is the "Five Mexican General Plan." He'll divide the TX-MX border into five segments and assign each segment to a Mexican general. Each general gets a bank account with $1M in it, to be turned over to him when Kinky's term is up. But for each illegal spotted crossing in that general's segment, $5k is removed from the account
Old 02-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #44

The fact that the White Man came in and destroyed an Indigenous Population, stole their land from them, and are now afraid that Yuppies will spoil the place this is truly hysterical.

Mexicans, the original owners , are denied entry into a land that is really theirs by the new White Owners.

My Aboriginal Friends would just as soon we all leave.

We are all Immigrants.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #45

Your aboriginal friends were all immigrants, too. Get off your high horse before you fall off...
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion

Mexicans, the original owners , are denied entry into a land that is really theirs by the new White Owners.

My Aboriginal Friends would just as soon we all leave.
Just to expand on your point....

Technically, the Mexicans were preceded by "native Americans" who were descendants of an Asian-Mongol race that migrated from Asia to North America via the exposed shoreline caused by the receding glaciers from about 10,000 years ago. The Indian population spread South into Central and South America and eventually became the Incas, Mayas, and Aztec tribes. *Spanish conquest in the late 1500s created the Mexican culture and society that “owned” Tejas.

These tribes killed each other off for thousands of years before the “white” man ever set foot on this side of the pond. *

As Cool Dood said.

Every body is an immigrant from somewhere else. *
Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #47

Nords, just want to say I think it's pretty cool you landed in Hawaii from Pittsburg, and I remember you explaining your career led you to many new places, so it follows.

I went other places from New York and came back ten years ago, and here in eastern upstate paid off a house super fast. Since you speak of surfing, and left the Northeast I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with it. Same for me. I remember being in Portland, Oregon for a year and watching how a quarter inch of snow closed everything down. Geesh, we need a blizzard to even partly close down. And I love the snow. And we keep everything running. When I was in Boston, the buses stopped running during a major snowfall. Never in New York.

Texas Hill Country -- I never even knew there was such a thing, and it sounds like how that's supposed to be. I'll make a point of visiting and see what it's about. I was going to do that with N'orlins, and some day I will.

I get the sense the far out Adirondacks is something like Texas in attitude.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Texas Hill Country -- I never even knew there was such a thing, and it sounds like how that's supposed to be.* *I'll make a point of visiting and see what it's about.* *I was going to do that with N'orlins, and some day I will.* *

I get the sense the far out Adirondacks is something like Texas in attitude.
Anyone else envisioning the lynching that will go on when kate arrives?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

This is true of many parts of the USA, whether Texans will admit it or not...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
This is true of many parts of the USA, whether Texans will admit it or not...*
Having lived in the backroads of America in many different places, including Texas HC, I can assure you that the Texas attitude is unique to Texas. While other areas might be described as Redneck, the HC area of Texas, as in other parts of the state, (not including Dallas and Austin here) would be more correctly considered as Texan. For those familiar with the Redneck culture (is that an oxymoron?) most Texans have refined that to a razor's edge. True Texans would never be confused with an Alabama Redneck. Two completely different animals. 8)

So, yes if Kate thinks Texas is like PA she is in for quite an awakening. That is like saying a Frenchman is just like a German.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

So, yes if Kate thinks Texas is like PA she is in for quite an awakening. That is like saying a Frenchman is just like a German.
PA? Them Adirondacks is in New York.

Grandpa was German, thoroughly, and Grandma, Irish, thoroughly, so we've been there..... (The Irish remember grudges, and the Germans love conversation.)

Don't mistake me. I know them Texans have different bugs on the ground, and we New Yorkers generally prefer trees to air conditioners.

And if ya think I don't know of any place with hubris, let me tell ya about the place that calls itself "The City"..... :

By the way, if you ever get to The City, take a boat ride 'round The Island.

Gee, the more I think about it, Texas Hill Country sounds like New York City, not my mountains....

Old 02-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
PA?* *Them Adirondacks is in New York.*
Sorry, in my old age sometimes the brain sees something that never gets to the keyboard properly.

I guess I was reading Adirondacks but my hands thought it was the Poconos. Hate it when that happens.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Sorry, in my old age sometimes the brain sees something that never gets to the keyboard properly.

I guess I was reading Adirondacks but my hands thought it was the Poconos. Hate it when that happens.
No problem. I was really surprised to learn last year that the Appalachians begin/end in New York. Always pegged it in Kentucky and West Virginia......but it's PA and NY too! Cool!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Gee, the more I think about it, Texas Hill Country sounds like New York City, not my mountains....
"Gee" is not a word that HC Texans recognize since we never used mules or horses to plow. (We "ranch", we don't "farm".)

And as for the rest of your senctence, "Get a rope" comes to mind.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #55

Quote:
No problem. I was really surprised to learn last year that the Appalachians begin/end in New York. Always pegged it in Kentucky and West Virginia......but it's PA and NY too! Cool!
North Carolina has Appalachian mountains too (and they go further south). Unless they moved them since the last time I was up there. Hope Appalachian State University knows about the move...

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I went there... Majored in animal husbandry...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
I went there... Majored in animal husbandry...
You told us what you did for fun on lonely cold nights, but what did you get your degree in?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
North Carolina has Appalachian mountains too (and they go further south). Unless they moved them since the last time I was up there. Hope Appalachian State University knows about the move...

I knew they went further but didn't want to guess.

I remember the peaches we bought on a road trip that passed through... Oh no, that was Tennessee....I think .... and different mountains. And different peaches. Yumm.

See what I mean? It's like Steve and the Pocanos.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

And as for the rest of your senctence, "Get a rope" comes to mind.
Like "City people" for sure, only they'd have no time for you, or the rope.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Not to pick this apart....but the Appalachian Range runs from Georga to New Brunswick, Canada. *

Peaches would be most likely eastern GA or South Carolina. *Tennessee would be Jack Daniels and Jim Beam....Tennessee sippin' whiskey. *