Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: My introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
But please don't touch me plums...
Texas? Another reason to go!
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Ahhh Texas Hill Country...

The land of:

Rattlesnakes--ever see the Rattlesnake Round Up....'nuf said.

Fire Ants- you can't kill them....just piss them off enough that they move to your neighbor's yard for a while.

Tarantulas---they can jump more than 4 feet straight up. Ever see a "herd" of them moving at sunset? Not to be believed!

Blue Northerns--temperature drops 40 degress in an hour.

Cedar trees--how are your allergies?

Mesquite trees--the most brillant marketing feat of the last 100 years....mesquite chips in charcoal for BBQing. The tree is a creation of the devil..you can't cut it, kill it, or even get near it (thorns) and it grows like a weed and will squeeze out any other living thing near it.

Pecan trees---pronounced PEE CAN, a major cash crop (other than cattle).

Limestone--want a pool? Forgetaboudit unless you have the $$$ to burn blasting out layer upon layer of limestone. This goes for planting trees, bushes and even flowers around you house. Some places are OK but others are a nightmare.

Texans----rednecks on steroids...since most of them came from Tennessee originally, they have taken "Southern Redneck" to a higher level.

Texas State Vehicle-- it used to be the Suburban...now it is the Beemer in Austin but a pickup truck is still very acceptable in most places. The Escolade is the new higher class Suburban now.

Armadillo--think ant eater in a tank. Usually seen dead on the side of the road but once you get "invaded" you will realize they are very much alive. They can rip a yard to shreds in a single night. Think surface of the Moon kind of thing.

Texas State Flower--blue bonnet. You can thank Lady Bird Johnson for this one...they are everywhere and look great for about two weeks in the Spring. The rest of the time they require frequent mowing of the Interstate median strips which create traffic issues. Your tax dollars at work.

There is more but I don't want it to look too attractive....they like their privacy and don't cotton to strangers much.

As a former resident of Round Rock, TX I herby certify the above is 100% accurate.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
The Society for the Prevention of Overpopulation of the Texas Hill Country has made a donation to the LDS in your name.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #84

You're just trying to discourage us. I aint no fool.

BTW, a lot of that is what I meant by them Texans having different bugs on the ground.... In New York, our ground creatures aren't any big deal.

But I'll still venture there some day to see for myself. Sounds like them Texans brought in the other stuff to keep us out. (They've done that before.)

P.S. We got a lot of clay (and sand and rocks) here in NY, which they sorely need in N'Orlins, I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

The land of:

Rattlesnakes--ever see the Rattlesnake Round Up....'nuf said.

Fire Ants- you can't kill them....just piss them off enough that they move to your neighbor's yard for a while.

Tarantulas---they can jump more than 4 feet straight up. Ever see a "herd" of them moving at sunset? Not to be believed!

Blue Northerns--temperature drops 40 degress in an hour.

Cedar trees--how are your allergies?

Mesquite trees--the most brillant marketing feat of the last 100 years....mesquite chips in charcoal for BBQing. The tree is a creation of the devil..you can't cut it, kill it, or even get near it (thorns) and it grows like a weed and will squeeze out any other living thing near it.

Pecan trees---pronounced PEE CAN, a major cash crop (other than cattle).

Limestone--want a pool? Forgetaboudit unless you have the $$$ to burn blasting out layer upon layer of limestone. This goes for planting trees, bushes and even flowers around you house. Some places are OK but others are a nightmare.

Texans----rednecks on steroids...since most of them came from Tennessee originally, they have taken "Southern Redneck" to a higher level.

Texas State Vehicle-- it used to be the Suburban...now it is the Beemer in Austin but a pickup truck is still very acceptable in most places. The Escolade is the new higher class Suburban now.

Armadillo--think ant eater in a tank. Usually seen dead on the side of the road but once you get "invaded" you will realize they are very much alive. They can rip a yard to shreds in a single night. Think surface of the Moon kind of thing.

Texas State Flower--blue bonnet. You can thank Lady Bird Johnson for this one...they are everywhere and look great for about two weeks in the Spring. The rest of the time they require frequent mowing of the Interstate median strips which create traffic issues. Your tax dollars at work.

There is more but I don't want it to look too attractive....they like their privacy and don't cotton to strangers much.

As a former resident of Round Rock, TX I herby certify the above is 100% accurate.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Hey a$$holes, thanks for hijacking my introduction into a discussion of the merits of New York wines and Georgia peaches!

Nah, just kidding.... I readily admit I'm enjoying it.....

P.S. Moroccan clementines rule! (As do both kinds of Georgia peach......)

Edited to excise potentially offensive vulgarity
I was aware of that, Cool Dood, the hijacking, and it's not right. But then I got to wondering where the hijacking took us: Pittsburg, Hawaii, Adirondacks, Poconos, peaches, Tennessee?? Georgia!!!! Pennsylvania!! Alabama!! NY grapes, mangos in Mexico, the passion fruit in Kenya I almost wrote about, and that Texas Hill Country that is way too much like The City.

Pretty good doing, Cool Dude. Nice introduction and nice set up! And welcome!

kate
Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
I was aware of that, Cool Dood, the hijacking, and it's not right. But then I got to wondering where the hijacking took us: Pittsburg, Hawaii, Adirondacks, Poconos, peaches, Tennessee?? Georgia!!!! Pennsylvania!! Alabama!! NY grapes, mangos in Mexico, the passion fruit in Kenya I almost wrote about, and that Texas Hill Country that is way too much like The City.

Pretty good doing, Cool Dude. Nice introduction and nice set up! And welcome!

kate
Thank you very kindly! And really, you don't have to apologize -- I wasn't just being polite, it really is no problem and I really am enjoying it as much as everyone else.

Oh, and you're right... they really are very jealous of their Texas Hill Country, aren't they? I guess that means it's worth being jealous of, and we should all move in.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
I guess that means it's worth being jealous of, and we should all move in.
After they remove the fire ants, tarantulas and rattlesnakes, if you don't mind.