Join Early Retirement Today

My Retirement Date is 10/18/09
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

My Retirement Date is 10/18/09

Hi folks! New to this forum but glad I found it. I will retire from a 32-year law enforcement career in six days. I am 56. In many ways this IS an early retirement. It seems to have taken so long to get here over the past year or so. I know the feeling of having to wait those last couple of years or months or days. It will sneak up on most of you...

Dennis
mrpd114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey Dennis,...congrats dude and well done! 30 yr copper myself and going 0n 12/18/09 to the other side....just joined this thing 5 minutes ago so I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.
geerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Your going out 3 months to the day after I leave. Good job.

I just joined this forum about 90 minutes ago. Good coincidence. Have a safe journey bud!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, oh, more police--we are going to have to behave ourselves. As if that's possible

Welcome and congratulations on the retirements, to both of you! There are several in your soon-to-be-former profession here.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

You don't have to behave on my account. I didn't like writing tickets anyway and we all had our rowdy days..
Old 10-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpd114 View Post
You don't have to behave on my account.
WooooHooooooo.....Free Pass
Just kidding.
Welcome to the forum to both newcomers in this thread and by all means share your countdowns.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome.

We look forward to your contributions.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
WooooHooooooo.....Free Pass
Just kidding.
Welcome to the forum to both newcomers in this thread and by all means share your countdowns.
... and I thought we were going to have to have the mods delete the did you smoke pot thread.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
... and I thought we were going to have to have the mods delete the did you smoke pot thread.
I'm sure it is only coincidental we have a number of narcs law enforcement officers register on the forum a few days after that poll...

Welcome! You have the right to remain silent - but lurking isn't much fun, so join in the conversation.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum! I also retired after 29 years in law enforcement.

There are a number of others here also. I think you'll find the forum informative as long as you don't get addicted to it....
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I smoked pot twice in 1968 at a friends house. The second time it was laced with something. Bad experience and it cured my curiosity. Never tried the heavy stuff.

During my career I didn't care about pot smokers. I focused on the more dangerous societal issues..
Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

OK, I officially retired on 10/19 (our police code for "returning to the station", which I did for the last time!) Been good so far, but I know I will be looking for something else to do before long.

At least I'll a bit more time to post on this site.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!
hguyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

And where have you been since 10/20 -- enjoying your freedom too much to remember us ?

CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, mrpd114!

I retired in early November and I agree, it's ben SO good, so far.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bestwifeever, you "busted" me on that one. I plead guilty to temporary abandonment of this great site. I will try to make up for the lost time, but as W2R said, it's been good so far!
Barbell
Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Barbell

Hey Dennis....(and others) been awhile since I have been here, but I did pull the trigger on e/r on 12/18/09 and now have had weeks to evaluate the first stages. After 30 years of looking (and usually finding) the worst in folks, I feel like a 200 lb barbell is off my chest!!!!! What a joy to find the best in folks for a change!!!!....I honestly feel like I know what it feels like to win the lottery and begin a new life......probably will return to some sort of activity but like others have said here, "It will be on MY terms!!"..mike
geerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey Mike, congratulations on your pulling the pin! You deserved it. Feels good, doesn't it!!

W2R, you mentioned on 12/16 that your retirement has been "good so far" How you doing now. Any adjustment issues? It took me a couple of weeks to adjust and realize I was not just on vacation.

Been awhile since I have posted here too. My only excuse is that, like many have said, I am busier in my retirement than I was while working, or so it seems. Been almost 4 months now. Moved upstate to a brand new house in Redding, Ca and finally getting settled in. Starting to plan a trip to Hawaii in a few weeks. Need to relax...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpd114 View Post
W2R, you mentioned on 12/16 that your retirement has been "good so far" How you doing now. Any adjustment issues? It took me a couple of weeks to adjust and realize I was not just on vacation.
I think I still must be adjusting, because I am still on cloud nine and I haven't become bored yet either.

I guess the only adjustment issue is that because I enjoy the early morning hours, I think would like to get up earlier than I have been. This would also entail going to bed earlier than I have been. However, getting up earlier hasn't been a serious enough wish to inspire me to set my alarm.

This is definitely better than a vacation, just as a vacation is better than a weekend.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Late to this thread, but welcome mrpd114 and geerman. I love it, geerman, that you can now look for the best in people. I am sure that both of you have seen way too much of the bad in people. Glad to hear that you are both enjoying retirement. I will be retired 4 years 6/2 and the time has flown. Enjoying every minute of it also.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote