My worst day in early retirement...

frugalguy

Confused about dryer sheets
...has so far been better than my best day at work :) I've never regretted retiring at 48.

I'm 55 (less 1 day) and have known of this forum for about a year, so I thought it would be a good idea to join and share ideas here.

I worked in the electronics field for the province (Ontario). While I still very much enjoyed the work and technical challenges, the ever-increasing politics and resultant stress prompted me to reassess my life priorities. There were a number of other factors (e.g. some family predispositions) that prompted the change as well.

While I've done this on far less than most would have the guts to, I have no dependents and am lucky enough to receive a partially-indexed employer pension starting this April. Throw in Canada's CPP at 60 and OAS at 65, and I can get by well enough. A comfortable home, car, good food, a few annual vacations, friends, good health, and new interests and challenges are all I want or need.

I'm unlikely to succumb to Alzheimers, as fairly complicated spreadsheeting is a key element of my plan. My investments are conservative, as I discovered my 'real' risk tolerance in 2000 :eek:.

As Ernie J. Zelinski in his book(s) quoted Ben Kerr (Toronto busker): "I don't want to be he richest guy in the graveyard."

http://www.thejoyofnotworking.com/ebook/1001BestThingsSaidaboutWork.pdf

Welcome to the board.
It is nice to hear people retiring early and getting to enjoy what they worked for.

Hi F'guy and welcome.

I too worked 30 years in electronics. After a couple of years of ER I looked at what had happened since. The degree of change was amazing.

d0ug said:
Welcome to the board.
It is nice to hear people retiring early and getting to enjoy what they worked for.

Ditto. I will begin enjoying the rest of my life next month. I had another idiot just last night ask me "what are you gonna do all day?" with a look of horror in her face. Before I could reply, she just ranted on about how she has to have something to do every minute of the day or she will be bored. There was no need for me to reply because she just wouldn't get it.

Good for you. Welcome to the board.

Did anyone read that book from Ernie J. Zelinski?

I've read several of Ernie's books. They are easy to read, have interesting little drawings and are useful as well as inspirational. In the book, he talks about why you want to not work for money, what you can do while you're not working, how we get hooked into thinking we must work, work and health, how to live on less and more.

Welcome, I look forward to being able to repeat your words one day. If only more people understood that life is not about who is able to accummulate and spend the most, the world would be a happier place.

DOG52 said:
I had another idiot just last night ask me "what are you gonna do all day?" with a look of horror in her face. Before I could reply, she just ranted on about how she has to have something to do every minute of the day or she will be bored. There was no need for me to reply because she just wouldn't get it.

I've had several people trapped in dead-end jobs ask me "What do you do for structure?" Structure:confused: That's why I retired. I'm spontaneous - any structure is my own doing, not my boss's.

Another one - "You look to young to be retired." My standard reply - "Why, thank you."

Thanks for the welcomes.

Back
Top Bottom