Join Early Retirement Today

New, excited 30 year old hoping to be done by 40
Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

New, excited 30 year old hoping to be done by 40

Hi all,

I've been lurking for months now and have been motivated ever since. I am 30 years old, single and decided to post after I hit the 200k(100k Personal/100k IRA) milestone one paycheck early. My dream is to be FI by 40 with about 1M with the help of the market.

Current income is 115K-125K and I have been able to save about roughly 65K across retirement and non retirement this past year. Burn rate is about 25K-35K with a very good lifestyle as my rent and transportation costs are relatively low.

My current financial situation:

Assets:
No Debt
100K Taxable Investments/Savings
105K Rollover/Roth/Employee IRA

Major Expenses:
300-800 Monthly Food bill ( I love to eat)
300 Monthly Rent
Car is 1999 Honda which is reliable and paid off in full by my Parents after graduating high school, so I never had a car payment(and technically never had a car since it is still in their name). Repairs/Maintenance are done by myself and car can go another 5 years easy.
The rest combined with the above will total about 2400-3000 a month depending on gifts, gas, insurance, going out, entertainment, gym membership, gadgets, etc.

I will be updating this with every 50k or 100K update and hopefully this will motivate me to save even more!

Happy new years everyone and thank you for the motivation!
BadInvestor
BadInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. You sound like you are managing your expenses very well, and achieving a very high savings rate as a result. You state that you want to be FI in ten years, but not necessarily retired. That's a good thing, since you are probably too young to know if you will really want to stop working in ten years, but it's always nice when you choose to work because you want to, rather than because you have to.

As for being FI with $1M in savings, I have to wonder what $1M will really be worth after ten years of inflation. I'm not sure if having $1M at age 40 will make you truly FI, but it will certainly put you in very good shape for the future. Keep up the great work!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Welcome! Congratulations onyour financial achievement.

$1M is a great goal to have. There is always a chance that, as you age, you'll realize you need a bit more - but so what? You will already have the habits that you need to set and achieve a new goal.

A friend told me that many many years ago, I told her that when I had $100,000, I would retire. Obviously, it wasn't a realistic goal, but that desire to retire early remained.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on setting a goal and working towards it. You've made a great start towards being FI. Just don't shortchange yourself by not taking advantage of your young age and good health by "over saving". Remember that its ok to "live a little".
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

@Ready - I completely agree. I probably wont be able to live in comfort with 1M, but the thought that passive income could pay my basic shelter, transportation, and necessities blows my mind. For me its not really about not having to work, its about knowing I don't have to work. Like you said, I don't really know what my desires are going to be in 10 years and my greatest wish is that I don't burn out early and potentially "wasting" my life away.

@walkinwood - Thank you! I recently read an article somewhere about people who write down their goals have a better chance of reaching that goal. This forum is kind of my pen and paper

@Live And Learn - Thanks! I always ponder the delicate "balance" myself, but I really don't feel like I am missing out on anything aside from not owning a house(or mortgage) and/or newer car compared to my peers. This year I was able to enjoy my 1st cruise, and two mini vacations(free flights and price-lined hotels) with very minimal finances.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #6

I learned a few things these past 13 months or so.

I learned to live your life and not waste/wait your life away until early retirement. I learned that I probably would need more 1.4-1.6m (or even more) as kids, life, health may necessitate that extra cushion.

I still managed to increase my net-worth by 100k to a total net-worth of 300k but it doesn't feel any different. I hope to celebrate when I hit 500k.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for posting, I love to hear updates from people. I totally agree with your sentiment that it's not worth living miserably in order to save every cent for a goal in the future. It's possible to enjoy life now, spend money in ways that are meaningful to you now and still save for the future. Sounds like you're doing just that.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadInvestor View Post
300-800 Monthly Food bill ( I love to eat)
ever go to Enchiladas y Mas on Anderson?

that's my favorite Mexican place on the planet
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Appreciate the update. You are still young and have a great start on savings and a plan to meet your end goals. Way ahead of most of your peers who are paying off debt, live at or above their means, and no real plans beyond surviving the weekend.

So now go blow a little money celebrating your $300K milestone! Important to have fun and enjoy life while you are saving for future.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I learned to live your life and not waste/wait your life away until early retirement. I learned that I probably would need more 1.4-1.6m (or even more) as kids, life, health may necessitate that extra cushion.
Agreed - you're young and living in a young person's town - live a little and keep saving!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here's a curve ball for you...

What if you get married?
What if you have kids?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Here's a curve ball for you...

What if you get married?
What if you have kids?
My girlfriend is a saver herself thankfully! Actually it's been quite odd nowadays that she seems more frugal than me.

Yes she does eventually want to get married and have kids one day, but then I will have help from her on the Salary/Networth(instead of dividing by two )
Old 08-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #13

I normally wasn't planning on updating until 400k but a "life event" came up that will be forcing me to buy my first car. My 16 year old car was stolen recently and I will be purchasing a new 2016 Subaru Outback (25k). Its more than I wanted to spend but I think somehow convinced myself that I will probably have it for 10+ years and I should get something with a little more room that I can grow into that will align with my lifestyle as well(mountain biking, sports, hunting, camping)

I will be purchasing it in cash but it will take a huge dip out of my savings.

Networth is now at 360k before the car purchase, and salary has now climbed to 139k for 2015.

See yall in 5-6 months!
Old 08-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Can't go wrong with a Subi... it'll be my next car purchase (hopefully in >5yrs) and should've been my last one!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

^ agreed - I've had about 6 scoobs - that outback should last you a while
Old 08-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the car purchase is consistent with what we were discussing. It's important to save and not spend money on things that don't bring you joy, but it's also foolish to try to save a few thousand and end up with a car that doesn't facilitate the things you enjoy. Many safe miles in your new car!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #17

This title makes me chuckle.

Just wanted to update that I am over 600k NW! I don't currently(34) feel any wealthier than when I was 32 and had 350k, but it is amazing to see a 250k jump in less than 2 years!

Income is now at 145k.

Since my last post, I purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback and a SFH that I am now renting out. I might be purchasing a place of my own soon hence the cash position.

Cash:120k
Taxable:200k
IRA/Roth/401k:200k
Rental SFH: 290k

Mortgage: 196k
Old 05-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

Quote:
This title makes me chuckle.

Just wanted to update that I am over 600k NW! I don't currently(34) feel any wealthier than when I was 32 and had 350k, but it is amazing to see a 250k jump in less than 2 years!

Income is now at 145k.

Since my last post, I purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback and a SFH that I am now renting out. I might be purchasing a place of my own soon hence the cash position.

Cash:120k
Taxable:200k
IRA/Roth/401k:200k
Rental SFH: 290k

Mortgage: 196k
Great progress! Keep it up
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

You are moving to your original goal very fast, keep going, you can get to $1mil way before your 40th Birthday
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

You are doing great! It's amazing how things move right along when you have a plan that you are working towards
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote