New guy, 30 years old

Enjoyed reading your story.
Great job so far, working towards your goals and making adjustments along the way!
Keep up LBYM, but have fun while you go.

2022 update. Everything going smoothly. Job is going well. Hit my retirement number a few times during 2021, but am now a couple hundred thousand below that number. Inflation is the new worry. My cost of living has increased over 10%. I am revising my retirement number up a bit now, but I will likely move on to Barista/Coast FIRE in a year or two.

I haven't done very many of the house upgrades yet, but hoping to get moving on that this year.
Getting married later this year, it's quite a bit more expensive than originally planned, but that's okay.
2021 was my highest income ever. Big raise at work. A lot of capital gains.

$539k in 401(k)
$263k in Roth IRA & non-qualified
$145k in HSA & non-qualified
$(72k) mortgage

Approx Total savings minus mortgage is about $875k.

2021 update.

Approx Total savings minus mortgage is about $791k.

I am now semi-actively planning for retirement. We are starting to purchase items in the anticipation that we will use them for a very long time. We are getting rid of things we really don't need and have plans for a few upgrades around the house. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Great job with your discipline of saving. More savings = more freedom. From here on out, you'll really see your savings continue to increase at an increasing rate due to the wonders of compounding. It's especially fun when your annual investment income surpasses than your annual W-2 income.

2022 was interesting. Wedding actually ended up costing less than expected. Inflation is pretty bad. My cost of living increased about $5000 for the year. House values rise, which causes property tax to rise as well as house insurance. Investments were down. I had a few individual stocks that gained over 70%, so that helped a tiny bit. I've revised my retirement number up to 1.4 million now.
Still buying stuff in anticipation for retiring. Haven't done many house upgrades due to pricing and tradespeople being booked up.

$500k in 401(k)
$237k in Roth IRA & non-qualified
$139k in HSA & non-qualified
$(68k) mortgage

Approx Total savings minus mortgage is about $808k.

2023 was interesting. Another major health event, but everything is fine now. Big tax refund covered the health care deductible. Inflation is still bad. 1.4 million is still my number, but my spouse worries it's not enough. Hoping to start house upgrades this year. It's weird sometimes when I'm out and about thinking I'm a millionaire in my early 40's.

$655k in 401(k)
$289k in Roth IRA & non-qualified
$312k in HSA & non-qualified
$(63k) mortgage

Approx Total savings minus mortgage is about $1.2 million.

Nice work! I haven't reread the thread but IMO if you include the mortgage as a negative in your net worth, you should include your house as an asset... Otherwise take the mortgage out and just include the monthly payment as an expense.

You are doing very well!!

Back
Top Bottom