New guy 401k question

youngandhopefull

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi I am new to posting but have been enjoying all of the posts for about 8months. I am a 26 yr old male. The DW and I have a 9 mo. old son and in another couple years more than likely another child. DW and I both have rid ourselves of debt besides the mortgage, a big part of our prior debt was due to my poor decisions and student loans. DW was able to dig us out of that hole that I created.

Anyway we are now heavily into the accumulation phase of our potential ER. We have made it a priority and are enjoying it. I curently contribute 13% of my 40k/yr salary the company matches 3%. DW also makes about 40k/yr she contributes 8% and her company match is 3%. We live in a very low cost area and our monthy budget is about $2500. the rest going to home improvment and savings.

I am hoping to start an IRA for the both of us as soon as our major home imporvments are complete. so for now our only investment vehicle is our 401ks.

So my question is about my 401k. My company recently switched frome Fidelity to Mercer and I am lost about which funds to choose. I have heard a lot about target retirement funds but I don't know if I should rely solely on that. The other options I have are Blackrock funds, Vangaurd long term bond, Fidelity MIP II, mass mutual stable value, and brokerage cash account. At my age I am definatly not risk averse. I am ok with leaning much more towards more agressive stuff and staying away from bonds for now. I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

Thanks in advance

If you have a brokerage option in the 401k that may be your best bet, if it doesn't come with excessive costs. Use it to buy low cost index funds (hopefully one's without transaction fees) or ETF's. You can use the stable value fund to accumulate cash and buy larger chunks of shares to reduce costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom