Join Early Retirement Today

New guy
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

New guy

Everyone,

I, like many, have been a long time lurker and am now jumping in. Nords posted my story back in March 28th under Military retirement with low savings | Military Retirement & Financial Independence. (hopefully the link works).

I'd be interested in some feedback based on my situation. I'm pretty satisfied with where I'm at financially, but am pulled in several directions. My job is extremely fufilling, but 10 months out of the year it demands ALL of my time. I have a handicapped older sister that will need my care soon (Mom takes care of her and has set up a small trust-180k) and I'm not sure of what that entails.

I could go on and on, but I think there's sufficient info to solicit some feedback based on other's experience. I'd love to hear some advice as there's some really good info on this blog and will gladly give more info if someone wants more details.
UberTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good to see you de-cloak, UberTanker. How have things been since March?

I'm a conservator for my Dad's finances. For the state of Colorado, that's just an annual report to the probate court listing assets, debts, and expenses. My impression is that the judge only gets involved if a report is not filed. Otherwise my brother and I handle Dad's expenses as we deem prudent, and we let the state (and Dad's care facility) know if Medicaid will be necessary.

Depending on how your sister's trust is set up, you may be added a trustee with signature authority for checks or online accounts. I doubt you'd even have to deal with government supervision. It's probably more important that the rest of your family be kept informed of how your sister and the trust are doing so that they don't feel left out.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Nords,

Thanks-it's been busy...I've used the"summers off" (what regular people call unemployment) for teachers to do all the travelling I can't do during the year. I'm nailed to the schedule Aug-June practically 6 days a week 12hr days. Job's great, but having a schedule I'm not in control of is a real pain.

The wildcards in my financial plan are care for my sis (she lives with Mom currently)and to a lesser degree parents. I'm on the trust to sign checks etc, but I will need to get a crach course in law real quick. Things like medical care, costs of care etc etc.
Parents are a concern, too. They are split up, and my Dad kind of forgot to save a dime while he was an engineer. He remarried, so I guess she has the care issue although there's drama there, too. I feel I'm having to save mainly to be prepared to care for others. I'll re-word and re-post in the correct forum once it get's going.
UberTanker is offline   Reply With Quote