Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New guy ERd in Thailand
Old 04-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Make those degrees celsius instead of farenheit, and you've got my weather...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/CA...city=Yuba+City
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2004, 09:38 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote

How much's electricity? If it's 100 F everyday, then AC must be a significant cost. [/quote]

Buns,

My my per-unit cost of electricity is quite expensive, about 13 cents per kWh, because I do not pay "direct" to the government utility. The "pay diorect" rate 8.5 cents per kWh.

I really don't use the a/c that much because I have acclimated to the climate. Most nights, a fan can keep me comfortable.

About dining expense, $1.50 US, per day is rock bottom. Normally, I average about $3 to 4 US for food (excluding beer.)

But Thailand is still VERY affordable

All the best,

Lance (still in front of the fan....)

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Keeping cool in Thailand or the desert southwe
Old 04-17-2004, 08:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Keeping cool in Thailand or the desert southwe

Yes, I have lived in Sacramento as well, Roseville exactly. Yes, I remember the summers. The heat would hit you like a brick wall as soon as you walk out of the office, but luckily, it was a dry heat, so after about 5 minutes outside, I would get kind of comfy, like a lazy lizard.

You really find that a house fan works in Sacramento? I had to have my AC on full blast the whole time or the apartment would become unbearable.

As for Da Ladies, no, I find NE women much better looking and dressed than Da Ladies in the Central Valley. There are just too many farms and farm-related jobs for folks to have a reason to dress well. For the most fashionable ladies in North America, Montreal, S.F., and NYC definitely lead the way.

Quote:
Slightly off topic, sue me.

It hits 95-100 here pretty regularly in the summer, but unlike thailand, *its very low humidity here.

I've made good use of installing a whole house fan. *Easy install, I bought the smallest size for $100, mounted it with some rubber grommets (keeping down the vibration) to a piece of plywood with a sized hole cut in the middle, and I put it right into the attic opening in place of the piece of wood.

Since its a "desert" climate here it drops down into the 60's at night, I turn on the house fan and let it run. *In the early morning I turn it off and close the windows. *Its 6pm or later before the inside temp gets over 75. *In the spring and fall I can run the fan in the early afternoon to draw in warm air and in the early evening to cool the place down just a bit. *Cost of running one of these 24x7 for a month is about $30.

Even sitting outside, an umbrella and a fan makes you pretty comfortable. *You adjust to the higher temps. *I also bought one of those little inflatable collar above ground Intex pools from walmart for $80; 10 feet across and a couple of feet deep. *Best eighty bucks I ever spent. *We've gotten 3 years out of the unit with no rips and the filter pump. *It takes me about 5 minutes a week to test and add one of two chemicals to it to balance it. *In the winter we roll it up, put it in a garbage bag and toss it in the garage.

The thai food still costs $25 here, butthe girls are still purty.

Ahh...tradeoffs...

You guys that live in Minnesota that were still shoveling snow a couple of weeks ago that are now giving me the finger, I'm sorry...
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:34 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, my parents live in Roseville.

If you have a stucco house, the house fan works fine. Cool things off at night and then seal the heat out and the cool in. Last July I had to run the A/C full time when we had that 100 degree heatwave and it only cooled down to 75 by early morning, but that was an abberation. Even then my electric bill was only about $180 for that month.

Yeah, some of the central valley gals are a little tough on the eyes, but those northeast women are TOUGH. I was shocked the first time I came to california as a teenager and discovered you could actually talk to someone without being set upon by fierce demons full of fire and brimstone, also known as "wingwomen".

Anyways, I found a cutie here that puts up with my silliness.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Wingedwoman? Some kind of devil? Just kidding. Call them what you will blocker, bouncer, wingwoman, bodyguard. Heck, even after you get past those, you still got to confront the ice queens themselves. Note, I said nice to look at, not easy to talk to.

Re: Lance and health insurance. You can get BUPA Blue Cross for $110 U.S./month. See this article at International Living:

http://www.internationalliving.com/p...cfm?pcard=3015
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buns,

Thanks for the insurance info!

BUPA is supposed to be a good company, they often advertise in the Bangkok Post.

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote