Join Early Retirement Today

New guy here
Old 06-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New guy here

What a great forum.* I finally cleaned out my nightstand drawer the other day and I found a March,10 2004 copy of the WSJ which had an article leading me here.

Currently living in TX and have been for 18 years.* I have some strong feelings about retiring here which are apparently not very favorable cause we are looking at relocating to the Redneck Riviera (AKA The Alabama Gulf Coast)* I'm hoping someone can give me some good info about the area.*

I'll contribute where I can.* I know a fair amount about life in Texas (SA and Hill Country) and I've been involved in various forms of investing for quite a few years.* I've pretty much sampled it all from day trading, options, mutual funds and my current favorite ETF's.

Thanks for having this great forum. I've already learned a bunch.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New guy here
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
What a great forum.* I finally cleaned out my nightstand drawer the other day and I found a March,10 2004 copy of the WSJ which had an article leading me here.

Currently living in TX and have been for 18 years.* I have some strong feelings about retiring here which are apparently not very favorable cause we are looking at relocating to the Redneck Riviera (AKA The Alabama Gulf Coast)* I'm hoping someone can give me some good info about the area.*

I'll contribute where I can.* I know a fair amount about life in Texas (SA and Hill Country) and I've been involved in various forms of investing for quite a few years.* I've pretty much sampled it all from day trading, options, mutual funds and my current favorite ETF's.

Thanks for having this great forum. I've already learned a bunch.
Well....... I had thought about retiring to the Redneck Riviera but after last years hurricane, I think I will keep the 225 miles from where I currently live as a cushion between me and future storms.* It really got hit hard and you can bet it will again in years to come.*
Old 06-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #3

Hey Dog50, you are right about the weather down there.* Hurricane Ivan almost caused us to give it up.* Instead we are looking at an area about 10 miles north of the gulf.* Still can get rough, but no storm surge and the insurance is a bit more reasonable.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Currently living in TX and have been for 18 years. I have some strong feelings about retiring here which are apparently not very favorable cause we are looking at relocating to the Redneck Riviera (AKA The Alabama Gulf Coast)
One more voice of reason. TX is not where you want to move to retire....

REW
Old 06-03-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Dog50, you are right about the weather down there.* Hurricane Ivan almost caused us to give it up.* Instead we are looking at an area about 10 miles north of the gulf.* Still can get rough, but no storm surge and the insurance is a bit more reasonable.
That certainly will be better. I was traveling on I-10 about 2 weeks ago just north of Gulf Shores(about 20 miles), and I saw a lot of trees bent over even that far up. I like the area and it sure is more affordable than Fort Walton and Destin. If you are willing to dodge the storms,* go for it!*
Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

93 degrees, 105 heat index, slight breeze from Texas(west) - last six back porch screens to replace from Hurricane Ivan. My neighbor has yet to start on the 75 feet of run(pier up north) blown out - heh, heh - he just finished before Ivan the last time.

May call it an A/C kind of day - and hit it in the morning.

Above average hurricane season predicted this year - should be entertaining.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Well take your pick: hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards & cold, mudslides, constant drizzle for half the year, earthquakes, blazing heat, ice storms, severe thunderstoms, unbearable humidity and/or JG after 2 cups of coffee. You're gonna get at least one either way you slice it.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Well take your pick: hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards & cold, mudslides, constant drizzle for half the year, earthquakes, blazing heat, ice storms, severe thunderstoms, unbearable humidity and/or JG after 2 cups of coffee.* You're gonna get at least one either way you slice it.
Speaking of Crappy weather:
12 Most Costly Catastrophes (according to USAA) 1922 thru 2004
Hurricane Andrew* *1992
Hurricane Ivan* * * * 2004
Northridge Earthquake* 1994
Hurricane Charley* *2004
Hurricane Frances* 2004
Hurricane Isabel* * *2003
Virginia wind/hail* * 1999
Oakland fire* * * * * *1991
Southern Cal Fires* 2003
Hurricane Hugo* * * 1989
Dallas/Ft Worth Hail* 2003
Hurricane Jeanne* * 2004

I'd say it is about time for a break from the hurricanes* * * * * * *
Old 06-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi - We have a reunion on West Beach in Gulfshores, AL every year after labor day - stay about a week in a big house right on the gulf ... been doing it for at least 10 years - one word of advise . . . RENT . . . Hurricane Ivan chased us from Gulfshores to Biloxi to New Orleans last year. I'm looking forward to seeing the aftermath this year.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
Hi - We have a reunion on West Beach in Gulfshores, AL every year after labor day - stay about a week in a big house right on the gulf ... been doing it for at least 10 years - one word of advise . . . RENT . . . Hurricane Ivan chased us from Gulfshores to Biloxi to New Orleans last year.* I'm looking forward to seeing the aftermath this year.*
It's great to see the forum has some LA* fans aboard.* Your reunion idea is great.* I hope to be doing that soonest.
I hear what you're saying about renting on the gulf, but I plan to be up the road a piece like say in Silver hill or Fairhope possibly.* Actually, we hope to get there in a few weeks and nail down a future building site. Would like about one acre so there is room to store the toys and a yard large enough to provide me with some quality time on a riding mower about twice a week.* It would be nice to be closer to the water, but that's why God gave us boat trailers. 8)