New Here - 47 and close to ER

ksr

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello - I've been lurking and reading here for a few weeks. I've wanted to jump into a couple of threads, but thought I ought to introduce myself first. I'm 47 and will be semi-retiring in the next year (still deciding the exact month that I will run screaming from mega-corp ;) ).

Just a little background - I have always been a saver and believed in LBYM, but got really serious about it when I was 32. I had just changed companies/jobs, and realized that the job change wasn't enough - I needed to plan an escape from megacorp. At the time, I thought it would take 10-12 years, but understimated what it would realistically take. Even as I was planning I knew it wasn't necessary to be fully RE - semi-RE would make me happy as long as I could do something I liked. I think I'm there now. Firecalc tells me I could RE, but there just isn't much cushion for my ultra-conservative nature, and I already have a PT j*b that I like very much (I've almost always had something else going on along with FT employment, whether it was a small business or an enjoyable PT j*b).

I've already learned so much from this forum. I thought I had a really good handle on money matters, and have been surprised at how much I could learn. There is some incredible knowledge here! I've determined that I need to do a better job with asset allocation. And also that I'd better get serious about arranging for health insurance before I go. I am planning to go with a high-deductible HSA plan, but hadn't appreciated all the ins and outs of getting a policy.

That's about it. I look forward to hanging around here some more.

Kathy, welcome. It's never dull around here, and lots of great knowledge as you noticed.

Curious as to your motivation for maintaining a second, part time job right along. Was it all financial? Do you plan to use those skills or jobs part time after retirement, or just pull the plug?

Enjoy the board!

Welcome Kathy. Yes this site has some very knowledgeable people who are very helpful. Best of luck in your semi-retirement.

Useful Knowledge

I myself have just joined the forum and feel there is a genuiness that I don't see on other sites. I'm approaching 40 and would love some great advice on retiring early. I have the real estate and mortgage part covered but I'm not as savvy on diversifying.

Thank you for the welcome.

Rich, in response to your question, I suppose I had several motivations for having a second job or business. Of course there was financial motivation, but I think some of it was a way to keep from feeling totally dependent on one employer or job. The pt work I've done for the past 5 years or so is very enjoyable, and I plan to expand on that after I leave megacorp. It is re-assuring to have something already worked out, otherwise I'd probably be too nervous to consider having no income coming in at first.

Back
Top Bottom