Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New member - 57 and looking to retire Christmas 2020
Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

New member - 57 and looking to retire Christmas 2020

My wife and I were married later in life (1st for both of us) in 2008. My wife gave birth to our daughter at 47 and I was 52 ! I'm now 57 and recently decided to retire at Christmas 2020.

My wife got an excellent job offer last fall (she's a pediatrician) and received a 50% (+) pay raise with this new job while still working a 4-day week with no weekends or call. She's from Brazil so she had to take a series of exams plus go through residency again so she could practice medicine in the US. She's only been practicing here since the summer of 2017.

She brings home more than 75% of our income now so I've decided to stay home with our daughter. By the time we pay our nanny and the income taxes on my portion of our income - I'm literally working for $18,000/yr which is obviously ridiculous.

The house is paid and we max our retirement accounts which currently have ~$700 K. I figure we'll be able to save $100K (+) per year which will go up to $150 K when my daughter and I start collecting SSI when I turn 62. I found out my daughter will get 50% of my full retirement age benefit until she graduates high school even though I start collecting at 62. Her SSI benefit should pay for most if not all of her college.

I'm hoping we'll have ~ $2.0 - $2.5 M by the time my wife retires. That's the plan anyway.

My question:

I'm a traveling salesman and now that my wife is knocking it down, I'm no longer pushing as hard in my job and it bothers me somewhat. I suppose the thoughts will lessen as I get closer to retiring next year. Any feedback ?
ncstevem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome, ncstevem1! Congratulations on making an ER plan even with a late start!

Is there a reason you are waiting a year to retire? If my math is correct, your daughter will start school next fall so your child care expenses should decrease substantially then, so you might want to enjoy this coming year without the nanny?

Regarding "not pushing" at your job, I think it's pretty normal. Do you plan to get a part-time gig for while your daughter is in school, or occupy yourself with domestic duties? Thinking about that in advance might be helpful.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks MB. I decided to work one more year because at 57, I'm not the most patient guy in the room and my daughter will be almost 7 when I finish. I figure she won't need as much help at that point.

Also our nanny is excellent with her and her family really depends on the income we pay her so I look at it as kind of charity for a little while.

Finally, I don't think I'm fully ready to finish since I only came to this decision in the last few weeks. Although I'm really kind of burned out on my job. Thankfully my wife loves what she does so she's happy to continue for the foreseeable future.
ncstevem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Annual budget? Hard to know your financial readiness without knowing your annual spend, savings, etc. Sounds like you're well on your way, though!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
gone traveling

Taking care of your daughter is knocking it down in my book. Don't fret & enjoy your girls.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Raising a child is a full-time job. If you can bring in some money while you're doing it, great, but you worked the numbers and you and your wife made a decision together, don't second-guess yourself. I make considerably less than my partner, but I also am the one who schedules home maintenance/repair appointments and stays home for them, manages the finances, and does other things that require more time and flexibility than a senior manager can usually manage.