New Member: ER Musings and Analysis Paralysis

You see, I've run just about every tool available out there, and spent literally hundreds of hours pouring over the results. ....

But that doesn't answer the next question: "If I retire, what will I do next?" ...

So, for the next 2-5 years before I actually retire, I've set a personal goal to re-introduce more work-life balance in my life and become active again in some of my previous hobbies.

Congrats. Sounds like you're well positioned for your eventual ER.

I'm about 4 months into ER, and (for what it's worth) these are my observations related to the segments I've quoted above:

I also ran the calculators again and again. To my surprise, after I retired, I stopped doing this. Once you roll the dice, it's a matter of seeing how it plays out. It helps that I've come to realize that I can live on even less than I originally estimated, barring unexpected major costs.

"What will I do next?" is the big question. Since you'll only be in your mid-50s when you retire, you'll face a societal expectation to do something that's judged to be "productive," which can be defined in myriad ways. Some here will question whether you should even worry about that. You've earned the right to do what you want to do.

Here's what may be a surprise: Whatever hobbies you pursue now may not survive ER. Sometimes we pursue outside interests while we're working that serve specifically as a counterbalance to the stresses of work. Once the work is gone, those interests quickly lose their attraction. Something to consider...

Following up on my earlier concerns about financial modeling tool accuracy, my wife and I met with Schwab financial planner yesterday as a sanity check (other tools I've run tell me I'm in fairly good shape). We should have some results and a follow-up meeting before EOY. If this tool gives me the green light, then the only thing keeping me at work is the fact that I still find it both interesting and rewarding.

Regarding hobbies, I've purchased strings and have re-strung my guitars (still in great shape), and am working on re-acquiring finger calluses (takes a while). I can't believe my fingers won't even play a simple scale anymore, but hey, that's what I get for taking 15-20 years off. Next step, find my show shoes and dig out my Kindle reader.

But, about this:

I *LOVE* it. I think I've found a new motto. Thanks.

Hey a fellow guitarist. I'm going to be telling people that I am quitting to become a musician full time (albeit a bad one :dance:). I know I can spend 1-3hrs a day just playing guitar so that's going to be a big part of my ER.

Like you I've run the calculators run countless "bad" scenarios and am convinced that I am good to go. I'll be gone by July and only because I need to get some things done and would rather do those on the company plan (dental/health) than my own. I also discussed it with a FP (Which are sometimes looked down upon around these parts but if it is someone you trust has your interests and not your money in mind) which helped solidify things for my wife more than me (I don't think she entirely trusted me :confused: but his numbers were less conservative than mine so that sealed the deal).

Good luck, one thing to remember about OMY, none of us get a choice of how long we have. For me it makes no sense to get a few more $$ at the potential expense of less time. Time is the precious thing...the rest tends to work itself out. My Mom died unexpectedly at 68...thankfully she did take an early retirement otherwise she might have only had 1 or 2 years before things got bad. She was completely health before and her parents both lived into their mid90's. Ya never know when you'll be checking out

Where there is a will (and a reasonable financial plan) there is a way. Life can come at you in strange and evil ways that no spreadsheet or financial plan can model. : Life is good. Just do it !

First T-minus a big congratulations on your achievement. My last few years of work and the market have me also in a less stressful position so I know the feeling you mention. Like you I also enjoy the current job and am starting to think about a way to go part time after reading that suggestion here often. That may give you a chance to increase your off work activities and see if you're happy to increase the leisure time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom