Join Early Retirement Today

New to forum
Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

New to forum

I've been enjoying this site for over a year.* It's one of my favorites.

I am in my late 40's and ER'd (with a modest income) about five years ago, thanks mostly to owner occupying rental property for about 15 years and letting tenants cover most housing expenses and socking away the savings.* * I have always been a LBYM type, no surprise there.

Bailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New to forum
Old 05-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Bailer,

Welcome to the forumn. Real estate has been a winner the last five or so years, so you are lucky. Any questions for us?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Bailer, welcome to the forum.* Just wanted to let you know my wife and I are in a similar situation and real estate was very good to us and still is.

This forum should help you out as far as investment advise and how to better live in early retirement, but I find that there is not a whole lot of support for real estate minded investors (maybe because some of them don't understand or see the big picture)* I still haven't figured out why. * *But we have kinda formed our own little group here.* *

I look forward to hearing your story and bouncing new ideas around.* One thing I have found from RE investors is that we all tend to have our niche' and we all tend to do things just a little differently.* A lot can depend on your location and what the market gives you but also where your talent is.* That is why I like it, because to me, it's never boring, and it is an always changing environment.* So it always keeps my interest and am always learning.*

Feel free to PM me or better yet, respond again with your story.* I'd love to hear it.* *
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere
... but I find that there is not a whole lot of support for real estate minded investors (maybe because some of them don't understand or see the big picture) I still haven't figured out why.

... A lot can depend on your location and what the market gives you but also where your talent is.
Gtmeout, I think you answered your own question. Many of us ER's and ER wannabes didn't get here via real estate investments. That's neither good nor bad, it's just that "talent" thing you mentioned.

Bailer, I think you will find there are lots of ways people have reached or are working toward attaining FI status on their road to ER. Learning about those differnent approaches is one of the real benefits of this board.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We got to FI primarily through rental real estate. Now we are mostly out of the business, though we do have interests as passive investors in a few projects, all of which are now converted to condos and are selling off units.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am strictly a small-timer in real estate, and don't plan any changes. I enjoy this site for the depth and sophistication on several topics (portfolio allocation, health insurance, LTC.... I have no questions right now, but in the future I will be sure to ask!
Bailer is offline   Reply With Quote