New to forum. 67 y/o already retired

dmdunca44

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,
I just discovered this forum last week and am really enjoying reading as many threads as possible. I am working my way backwards (and thank you for the list of really good threads on the FAQ sction).

I have espcially learned much from Nords thread about dealing with his father's Alzheimers and John Hancock (I have an LTCI policy with them). I also have a mother in a nursing home with advanced Alzheimers.

Also enjoying the thread discussing Jim Otar's book (which I am working my way through)

I retired from megacorp at age 54 because I was eligible for a pension, had the boss from hell and really wanted to do something different. I worked full time at othr jobs for a couple of years before settling down and working part tme (I was able to do this because my husband was OK with it). I then worked part time until 2009. My husband retired in Jan, 2008 at the age of 58. That was a very scary year. I would have quit my last part time job in 2008, but it was too scary financially to do so.

My biggest regret is that I knew so little then about personal finances and resources like this board. So we made a number of mistakes. But we made some good moves too.

Last year, we moved our IRA accounts from Smith Barney (losing the 1.25% fee) to Vanguard where they are now in four low ER funds.

We've also lowered our WR from over 4% (because I was failing to factor in the management fee and the high ER's) to 3.5%. We'll see how things go for the next few years.

Sorry for the overly long post. Mostly I wanted to express my appreciation for the wealth of information that I found here.

(I don't even use dryer sheets. I buy fabric softener from Costco and dilute it)

Last edited:
Hi dmdunca44, and welcome to the Early Retirement Forum! Sounds like you'll fit right in. :)

Hi dmdunca44 and welcome. Moving your accounts to Vanguard, lowering your withdrawal rate, being frugal where you can - you'll find lots of like minded folks here. Hope you learn and contribute.

Back
Top Bottom