Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #121
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I am a woman too and had the same perspective.
I'm a man in touch with his feminine side, and I say its none of our business what she decides to who with her relationship. There is no right or wrong answer. So I disagree with all the "well intentioned" strong advice one way or the other, especially the ones that come from individuals with a lot of "baggage".
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
I'm a man in touch with his feminine side, and I say its none of our business what she decides to who with her relationship.
While that may be true, the OP posted her situation here for input. You've shared your advice and repeatedly made it clear you don't agree with some of the advice she's getting. Fine, we get it.

That said, it is poor form to take shots at those who have opinions you don't support. Please give it a rest.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #123
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
While that may be true, the OP posted her situation here for input. You've shared your advice and repeatedly made it clear you don't agree with some of the advice she's getting. Fine, we get it.

That said, it is poor form to take shots at those who have opinions you don't support. Please give it a rest.
Merely stating my view. Wasn't taking shots anyone in particular, unlike your post which is clearly a personal attack
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...unlike your post which is clearly a personal attack
I'm confident the mods will step in if they view my post to be a violation of the forum's rules.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #125
Administrator

Just like when my family gets together, most of us here can figure out for ourselves what advice is helpful what is not, no need for public votes or throwing cow pies. Why don't we stick to either trying to help Sassy or just sitting back to watch the show.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #126
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just like when my family gets together, most of us here can figure out for ourselves what advice is helpful what is not, no need for public votes or throwing cow pies. Why don't we stick to either trying to help Sassy or just sitting back to watch the show.
Thanks Mr BoltonThat's good advice. Your family sounds a lot like mine. Most times members bite their tongues and let comments pass through to the keeper (a cricket analogy). Sometimes, there's fireworks and it ain't always pretty
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #127
gone traveling

Sassy,

I forgot couple more things, but you probably know yourself.
Since you're the one controlling retirement planning, I'd also ask for your husband's 401k access to review AA in it and hopefully he's not 100% invested in his company's stock. That's also a form of gambling and it has ended quite badly for many folks.

I don't remember how many years you've been married. If it's 10 or more years, and if the SS stays around you'll be able to claim on his working record. It sounded that your "D"H (quote marks, because he's not 'dear' right now) earns good income, so it's good for you too.
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm confident the mods will step in if they view my post to be a violation of the forum's rules.
Doubtful, since you are a moderator emeritus.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Merely stating my view. Wasn't taking shots anyone in particular, unlike your post which is clearly a personal attack
He did say "please".........

Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So I disagree with all the "well intentioned" strong advice one way or the other, especially the ones that come from individuals with a lot of "baggage".
I resemble that remark.........

Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #131
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm getting quite the chuckle at the lively debate going on here on whether or not I should kick Mr. Sassy to the curb. It's getting hashed out on this forum more than it is in my own house. Let's just say I kind of like him sleeping with one eye open....

Life insurance needs are covered.

Yes, he makes a good income, so that helps. And we know how to LBOM, which is good, considering we're in UMM----Ultra Miser Mode.

Will continue to max out 401K (which I have access to), IRAs, and contribute monthly net savings to the after-tax account. Getting from Point A to B, what I have to work with each month v. what I need in that account, is incredibly intimidating and seems unreachable. There's just such a massive gap right now that it seems nearly impossible.

And, yes, there are 100 million scenarios that could be much worse. Yesterday I went to the funeral of a childhood friend. She had been clean of breast cancer for 7 years, it suddenly came raging back, and in mid-February she was diagnosed with brain tumors. Six weeks later she was gone at the age of 42. Her goals where simple: live to see her son's bday in May and live until the end of the school year. It is so incredibly sad and I am feeling her loss today and feeling for her husband and young family she left behind. So, yes, this situation of mine and life is certainly in perspective here.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #132
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He did say "please".........
Lol he did too. In mod speak "my bad"
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Getting from Point A to B, what I have to work with each month v. what I need in that account, is incredibly intimidating and seems unreachable. There's just such a massive gap right now that it seems nearly impossible.
What are your goals, $1m, $2m, $3m? You can make any or all of those if you choose...UMM (ultra miser mode) will help...........

Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sassy, I have nothing to add except to say I admire you.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #135

+1

You are handling the situation admirably.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #136

And I love the hell out of your sense of humor. Sassy, you ARE! :-)