Join Early Retirement Today

Newly Retired
Old 08-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Newly Retired

Hello, all. I’m Norma and recently retired on 8/17/18 at age 60. I’ve had enough of the rat race and so has DH. That night, we packed the U-Haul truck and started our move from Maine to Florida the next day. We arrived in Florida on Monday night and have been unpacking since. I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxing!?!? DH doesn’t retire until 9/7/18. I’ve been reading these boards for about a year now and have learned a lot. Here’s to the best years of our lives!!!

Norma
umograd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

good luck , and happy adventures

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome fellow Florida retiree. I love Florida. The only thing missing is Allagash beer from Maine......
Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations & good luck.
Welcome!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations Norma,
Welcome to Florida. We love it here, although that coastal red tide stuff is really getting old!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome and congrats on retirement and your move to FL. "Winters" are going to be a whole lot different than Maine...ha.ha.
Ready2Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Save View Post
Welcome and congrats on retirement and your move to FL. "Winters" are going to be a whole lot different than Maine...ha.ha.

That’s the whole idea! I don’t mind two months of winter, but five months is ridiculous. We’ll be going to Maine a few months in the summer.
umograd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #8

Welcome and good luck! I just retired too, and it's been one of the happiest months of my life. Every day seems delicious! Enjoy Florida, am thinking of moving there in a few years.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
Hello, all. I’m Norma and recently retired on 8/17/18 at age 60. I’ve had enough of the rat race and so has DH. That night, we packed the U-Haul truck and started our move from Maine to Florida the next day. We arrived in Florida on Monday night and have been unpacking since. I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxing!?!? DH doesn’t retire until 9/7/18. I’ve been reading these boards for about a year now and have learned a lot. Here’s to the best years of our lives!!!

Norma
Hi and Congrats. Shoot us a pic of the area and home. . We all love pics and new adventures :-)
All the best
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Congrats Norma and welcome to the free zone! It's way better over here. Make sure to send in the special ops team in a few weeks and rescue the one left behind.

We have weeks in retirement that are very leisurely and relaxing. The last few have not been!
Old 08-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

weather-envy! I've moved from the 5months of winter 5x, but I keep coming back... DOH! (Family/Friends). But when we retire, no location will be off the radar. FL looks very promising if they keep the state taxes at bay.

I visit FL every year in the worst of our cold. It helps, temporarily. This year...Sarasota baby!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
gone traveling

Welcome Norma and congratulations!

Sorry to hear you are moving out of Maine ("The Way Life Should Be"), although I understand. Our winters aren't for everyone. Once my wife fully retires, we plan to minimize those months with a bit of travel.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote