Not new...but newish

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I had followed ER BITD. I was raelly close in 06-07. I own a construction bidness and had a guy I had mentored for about 5 years that was ready to take over. Then the boom turned to bust and I had to lay him off.

Got through the bust (TG for WoScrapr) and back on track. Lots happened in between. As I was getting the business back on track i got Dx with Crohn's. For those not aware it's an immune system issue where your gut attacks itself. Creating issues where you have constant diarreha. I had 5 hospitalizations in 4 years. Several of them were a week long. My first one was scary. In one meeting I'm laying in the hospital bed and have my surgeon, an Oncologist and a Infectious disease doc discussing me. A bowel resection has mostly fixed me up. But i think it has recentered my life and thinking about getting out. I'm 60 now. So maybe not early but sooner than drop at my desk!

WE recently passed the $1 million mark in invested assets. WoScrapr is a SAHM. Our boy is 21 and mostly on his own. If you don't count us paying for his medical, phone, car & insurance. That will get sorted out. A couple years ago we went a bit more conservative in our investing. I had always been 100% Vanguard Total Stock market Index. Rode that sucker all the way down (and back up!) In '14 we saw a fee only planner and got a bit more conservative. Probably 80-20. Then we sold our main house and went 35% cash/20% bond funds & 45% stock index.We are DCA the amount of our main house payment plus associated expenses there. That goes into stock index.

Things still to do is sell our business. Which will take a few years to finish up as it will likely be a earn out thing. Probably 3-5 years. Which will give me a few more years of salary & benefits. I'm only working 3-4 days a week now with a couple of superintendents doing the main work. I was off all this week, with a longer work week next week. So i could get used to this. I call it Slouching towards Retirement. When we get to retirement SS will fill 100% of our daily needs. Will try to wait until 70 to get max there. I wouldn't mind a part time job as a driver. Maybe Uber if that is what it takes to get to 70

I tried to like the Bogleheads message board but they seem so serious and structured. I like this MB much better

May have forgot some stuff. Maybe more later

Last edited:
I tell people I "backed into RE", but our stories are similar.

It sounds like you are pretty happy doing your business PT or so. Why not ride it out as long as you enjoy it?

SS at 70. Will your RE numbers work just as well at 67? 68? I reconsidered my SS after my health scare at age 59. I couldn't wait to collect at 62. Just a though...

Uber? I ran the numbers with a friend who tried it out for a few months. I honestly don't see how those drivers make any money when you add in deprecation and car expenses.

Good luck.

We'll see what happens. I have a friend that early outed at FedEx and is driving parts for a car dealership. Just part time. But he has his "side hustle" on. I have thought about courtesy driver for a new car dealer. Or perhaps picking up cans & bottles

The reason for now is the construction cycle. I don't want to go through another down cycle. I have heard very succesfull developers speak. They don't speak about moving from high to high. They measure themselves by the down periods. We are 5-6 years into an up swing. Typical up periods are 7-8 years. Plus I'm on the hook for truck loans (personally) going out to 2021 right now. That works during these up cycles. And are boat anchors on the downs.

But yes I have thought about just riding it out

Back
Top Bottom