Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Monday is my last day at work. All I have to do is show up, sign in and verify my hours, write my farewell e-mail, clean off my whiteboard, and turn in my badge, parking pass, and exit clearance. I will take a book to read for the rest of the morning. My supervisor said I can sneak off at lunchtime and she will cover for me.
I think you were part of the earlier thread on this --- what are the final work festivities (party, lunch, dinner, etc.) they have planned, if you don't mind saying?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I think you were part of the earlier thread on this --- what are the final work festivities (party, lunch, dinner, etc.) they have planned, if you don't mind saying?
Midpack, my party was wonderful! I chose to have it at work, in a conference room, instead of going out to an expensive lunch that people would have to pay for. Here's my description:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...postcount=2636

On Monday, I will pretty much be slipping in to take care of those few last minute details, as I explained, and so (as is usually done at my workplace) the party was during the last hour of my last previous workday.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R, good for you! Now you'll have plenty of time to post here. (heh)
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
So my first step is I really need to unwind from all that... how long does it take though for type A's? A month? Two months?
I don't know about Type A's, but it took me about 6 months, and I don't really consider myself a type A. I did leave a stressful career/job, however.

I had some travel already planned during this period, and I think that helped. Just keep somewhat busy, but don't worry too much about long term goals as things will become much clearer once you have a chance to decompress.

You might go through a bit of an identity crisis (that sounds real bad - but it's mild) getting used to the idea of no longer being identified with what you do. That just takes a while to get used to, and some people feel less important once they quit working. You might have to build a new identity based on what you like to do and those people close to you. So you might have to be patient about that as well - just don't be surprised.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
W2R, good for you! Now you'll have plenty of time to post here. (heh)
I know! I can't imagine.

What if, after retiring, she gets so busy that we hardly ever hear from her again?

Could happen!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Monday is my last day at work. All I have to do is show up, sign in and verify my hours, write my farewell e-mail, clean off my whiteboard, and turn in my badge, parking pass, and exit clearance. I will take a book to read for the rest of the morning. My supervisor said I can sneak off at lunchtime and she will cover for me.
W2R,
This has to be an unusual weekend.
Are you at peace with the situation? Ready to go and all that?
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #27

Quote:
So my first step is I really need to unwind from all that... how long does it take though for type A's? A month? Two months?
You ARE a type A. Next, you'll be drawing up an unwinding schedule!

Congratulations!

You'll unwind extremely quickly if you cut yourself off from work-related activities. It took me a couple of months before I stopped dreaming of work. A psychologist friend of mine said it was because your unconscious mind is trying to resolve the loose ends that you would have otherwise resolved in the course of your work.

We chose to stay close to home for a couple of months to relax. Enjoyed our home, our neighbors and each other's company.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about. Today in fact as I headed home, officially retired -- the day I've always dreamed about -- I found myself cursing out the idiot driver in front of me who didn't INSTANTLY HIT THE GAS PEDAL when the light turned green! He was wasting my effing time just sitting there for almost five seconds while the light was clearly green, and it's barely a 10 second light, and I got places to go!!!

How about using some of that energy helping all of us make good investment decisions? I hope to retire soon and will need to get more comfortable with living off of and making my savings last the rest of my life. Good solid investing help is always needed on the forum. Plenty to keep you busy and hopefully more relaxed at the same time.
Just a thought,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I know! I can't imagine.

What if, after retiring, she gets so busy that we hardly ever hear from her again?

Could happen!

Audrey
It'll never happen! Where else can I crow about how much fun I'm having? Eventually I will have to start fixing up my house, and I may post a little less for a couple of weeks then. But I can't do without my ER-Forum daily "fix".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
W2R,
This has to be an unusual weekend.
Are you at peace with the situation? Ready to go and all that?
Steve
Yes, I am at peace and in fact I am in a pretty pleasant mood. The sun is shining and it is utterly gorgeous outside, and Frank just took me to lunch at a nice Creole/Italian restaurant that we frequent. He said that essentially I am already retired, but I don't think I will feel it is done until I turn in my exit clearance.

A lot of the people at my work are really wonderful people and I have known them for years. They will still be really wonderful people after I leave and I may see them from time to time.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Want2Retire --

I've watched your countdown timer since you added it to your signature (about 147 days ago, if I recall). Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the other side! Now, about that user name.......
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Want2Retire --

I've watched your countdown timer since you added it to your signature (about 147 days ago, if I recall). Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the other side! Now, about that user name.......
I thought it was a lot longer than that. I thought I remembered seeing it in the 400+ day range. But I thought today was Tuesday until I went to WalMart, so what do I know.

Congrats, W2R! It's a great feeling when you want it and youre ready for it. The best day of my life.

BTW, Kabekew, I'm far from a Type A, but I worked a stressful job with a lot of night and out-of-hours work. It took me a solid year before I could sleep through the night. I'd say it took me at least 4 months before I truly accepted that I didn't have to go back in. Just relax and let what comes, come. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
You'll unwind extremely quickly if you cut yourself off from work-related activities. It took me a couple of months before I stopped dreaming of work. A psychologist friend of mine said it was because your unconscious mind is trying to resolve the loose ends that you would have otherwise resolved in the course of your work.
Kabe -- The Good News: A 'retired TYPE A' can easily become a 'Retired Type A' or even a 'RETIRED type a' with very little effort.
In fact, that is the key to how the trick is done.
As for the psychologist/psychiatrist suggestions, reminds me of the old joke:
Quote:
How many psychatrists does it take to change a light bulb? ONLY ONE -- but the light bulb has to WANT to change...
(Not to mention many many hours of therapy and glacially slow progress)..
So unless you have voices in your head telling you to hurt yourself or others, I'd recommend a massage therapist instead. Preferably PYT certified.
A full body massage should help work out those troublesome kinks and help you fully relax. Should you need additional attention, request an extended session or provide a bigger tip. I'm sure these therapy sessions will be much more enjoyable, relaxing, and more likely to lead to a happy ending...
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Want2Retire --

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I thought it was a lot longer than that. I thought I remembered seeing it in the 400+ day range. But I thought today was Tuesday until I went to WalMart, so what do I know.

Congrats, W2R! It's a great feeling when you want it and youre ready for it. The best day of my life.
I have no idea of how long it has been. I have been keeping the countdown in my Excel financial/retirement file since it was over 2400, and then someone suggested that I could put it in my sig not too long ago. As for my username, I have one picked out and one of the Admins promises to change it for me sometime on Monday. Thanks for the congrats!

And Kabekew, congratulations on your retirement! I wish you all the best.