Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Officially FIRE'd today!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Officially FIRE'd today!

I've been lurking around here for about a year, but today was finally the day for me -- age 40, no dependents, and a million things I want to do now that I'm free (well, 28 at least, because I listed them all).

I guess I first need to unwind though after almost 20 years of type A personality stress and pressure... how long does that take?

Anyway, hello to everyone already in the club, and I look forward to participating here more often!
Kabekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First put your feet up and relax! Pop a cold one of whatever you choose and spend a few minutes, days or weeks, perhaps even months in contemplating what ever floats your boat! Breathe in and breath out, detox, destress and be good to you. Savor the freedom you have earned.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations young jedi...

It doesn't take too long -- unless you try to do all 28 at the same time.

Take your list. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Keep doing that until you can't fold it any more. Now carefully unfold it & place it in a fireplace or bbq or ashtray and set it ablaze. Watch it burn - Smile - Do whatever you want from now on - NO LISTS NEEDED - If you can't remember something you want to do without reading it from your list - Do you really want to do it? Enjoy - If you start to feel the urge to make another list - wait a while and see if it passes.
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment, especially at your relatively young age. Enjoy your first task- - thoroughly unwinding. You don't have to set your alarm clock any more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNtime View Post
Congratulations young jedi...

It doesn't take too long -- unless you try to do all 28 at the same time.

Take your list. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Keep doing that until you can't fold it any more. Now carefully unfold it & place it in a fireplace or bbq or ashtray and set it ablaze. Watch it burn - Smile - Do whatever you want from now on - NO LISTS NEEDED - If you can't remember something you want to do without reading it from your list - Do you really want to do it? Enjoy - If you start to feel the urge to make another list - wait a while and see if it passes.
That is so funny. I was thinking how great this guy was doing and how cool that he had a list of things to attack in his retirement. And then I read this post. Wow. Exactly right. Why do you need a list? Your retired.

Makes perfect sense if you have the right mentality. I'm still stuck in the ranks of not retired yet. So I'll keep making lists. But I look oh so forward to switching someday to the no list needed mentality.

Congrats to OP!!! Enjoy yourself.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Lists sound more like something for people with limited free time, like oh say, those that do that W__K thing, yep we don't even like to say it around this house. I like Crazy Connie's response. Take it down it notch. Just that you were able to come up with so many things you feel you "need" to do tells me you REALLY need to slow it down and unwind. Try your best to absolutely as little as possible for the next few weeks. It worked for me and oops it's 3 years in to ER now I'm still living a very simple low key life, and DIGGING IT. My big event for the week. In an hour I'm going over to a music friends house and we're going to record a few songs, while we drink a few adult beverages. I'm fitting into his schedule (the poor devil) cause he's a school teacher who still has a few years left to go before HE gets to join us in the FIRE world.

Listen to JustNTime, burn the list. Just get up each day and do what comes natural.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a list, too, but it's somewhere on my other computer. I made it several years ago.

I am figuring that it will keep me from getting bored. If I start to get bored, I'll think, "Should I get out my list?" And then I'll realize that there are a million other interesting things that I would rather do than search for that list on my computer.

To be serious, I don't think there is anything wrong with having a list, as long as you don't use it to assign yourself work during retirement. If you just want to use it to remind yourself of the many things you want to do in retirement, then that is a good thing, IMO.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

W2R,
How many days to go now?
Or have you finished?
Steve

Edit: just noticed the fine print.
Only a few more to go, right?
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Kabe, I retired 4 months ago and had many things on my mental list that I was going to do. The first thing was to fix the door bell...well, I had very good intentions to fix it quickly, but time wore on and well, it would slip my mind. I would remember it occasionally, and then I started thinking, it can wait until tomorrow. Well, I finally got it fixed about a month ago. Moral to the story for a full relaxing retirement...make sure your list is mental and not written! Yawn! I think I will go relax now. Golly I love retirement!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Kabe, I retired 4 months ago and had many things on my mental list that I was going to do. The first thing was to fix the door bell...well, I had very good intentions to fix it quickly, but time wore on and well, it would slip my mind. I would remember it occasionally, and then I started thinking, it can wait until tomorrow. Well, I finally got it fixed about a month ago. Moral to the story for a full relaxing retirement...make sure your list is mental and not written! Yawn! I think I will go relax now. Golly I love retirement!
Ohhh NO - Budman - Us type As and our lists - JUST say NO!

Besides if you make a mental list -- it can be oh so painful to burn...

Agree with lists, cross off the day calendars, spreadsheets, etc. for motivation to get to retirement. Once retired perhaps best use is to toast marshmellows.

Well enjoy - good luck breaking those type A habits.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ohhh NO - Budman - Us type As and our lists - JUST say NO!

Besides if you make a mental list -- it can be oh so painful to burn...

Agree with lists, cross off the day calendars, spreadsheets, etc. for motivation to get to retirement. Once retired perhaps best use is to toast marshmellows.

I have to admit to you, it was a pretty feeble mental list. The great thing about a mental list is "POOF" and it can be gone! I really don't work very hard at it, honest!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about. Today in fact as I headed home, officially retired -- the day I've always dreamed about -- I found myself cursing out the idiot driver in front of me who didn't INSTANTLY HIT THE GAS PEDAL when the light turned green! He was wasting my effing time just sitting there for almost five seconds while the light was clearly green, and it's barely a 10 second light, and I got places to go!!!

So my first step is I really need to unwind from all that... how long does it take though for type A's? A month? Two months?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
So my first step is I really need to unwind from all that... how long does it take though for type A's? A month? Two months?
Spoken like a true Type A -- Now set yourself an overly optimistic goal and see how much you can beat it by... OOpps...

Relax -- Don't Worry -- Be Happy -- Repeat after me - You are retired now

Maybe some meditation? - Fishing w/o bait? - Floating down a lazy river
Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Spoken like a true Type A -- Now set yourself an overly optimistic goal and see how much you can beat it by... OOpps...

Relax -- Don't Worry -- Be Happy -- Repeat after me - You are retired now

Maybe some meditation? - Fishing w/o bait? - Floating down a lazy river
JustNtime, you are my HERO
Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kabe, I worked with a lady in sales that did high pressure selling for 20 years. She's retired now, and had to see a psychologist to allow herself to "chill"
Pay attention to the present moment. They're right in front of us all. Congratulations.
Burn the list, smile, look up at the sky tonight and know that the world is now officially yours to conquer!

and now, for you my friend, Everyday is Saturday!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's the bad news Kabe... A type A is a type A is a type A. Given a competitive situation your tendencies are to compete and/or to overachieve. You want to get ahead of the other traffic - you want in the fast lane - you want to do grave bodily harm to anyone in your way - (and say/think bad things about their mothers). The fact you're retiring 20 yrs ahead of most people shows you're a very successful overachiever.

Now what? Do you want to compete with me to see who can do less? I'll have to warn you I do have 7+ years experience at this and may have a slight advantage due to my more advanced years...

Take a long look in the mirror - see yourself - change what you want - keep what you don't - own it. Use the force for good and beware of the darkside (oops) -- IF I were single 40 and ER'd, I'd probably get a nice catamaran and sail around the world, trying NOT to set any new world speed records on the way. Maybe an RV through the continent. Perhaps a rail pass or a series of rail passes through a variety of countries to relax. Backpacking the Appalachian Trail this spring/summer for a little exercise and site seeing...

Maybe some baby steps, try to go to sleep tonight and not make plans for tomorrow - get up in the morning and don't plan your day. It may be harder than it sounds... Box up any organizers, schedulers, etc... Don't put on a watch. It's actually pretty easy compared to what you've already achieved.

Just some rambling random after midnight thoughts...

P.S. I just couldn't resist putting this link here. The Bumfuzzles are an interesting pair of misfits and their exploits can provide some ideas/entertainment. They really crack me up sometimes. Check out their first years of ER... bumfuzzle | sail around the world
Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm, good ideas, JustNtime... thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Hmmm, good ideas, JustNtime... thanks
Here's another - this guy took a Motorcat 30 down the east coast and spent the winter in and around the Bahamas... He's very Type A oriented...Cat's Away Home Page

You have a distinct advantage over me Kabe, while I find these ideas intriguing -- DW is NOT amused!!

So we travel primarily by car now and stay primarily in timeshares (we are NOT TS owners)... We have done cruises and flights to Hawaii and Virgin Islands. A nice cruise can be a good way to unwind, relax and let someone else do virtually everything but chew your food for you.

Night, the bed is calling me by name now...
Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
W2R,
How many days to go now?
Or have you finished?
Steve

Edit: just noticed the fine print.
Only a few more to go, right?
Monday is my last day at work. All I have to do is show up, sign in and verify my hours, write my farewell e-mail, clean off my whiteboard, and turn in my badge, parking pass, and exit clearance. I will take a book to read for the rest of the morning. My supervisor said I can sneak off at lunchtime and she will cover for me.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Monday is my last day at work. All I have to do is show up, sign in and verify my hours, write my farewell e-mail, clean off my whiteboard, and turn in my badge, parking pass, and exit clearance. I will take a book to read for the rest of the morning. My supervisor said I can sneak off at lunchtime and she will cover for me.
Golly what would they do if they CAUGHT you playing hookie Send you to detention??
Enjoy your last DAY! If anyone asks any questions, just explain it's 'Senior Ditch Day'...

Congratulations!! Well deserved I'm sure!