Officially Un-ER'd This Morning

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got a call from the England office admin guy at 9am this morning.
He faxed a copy of the 2 year contract at 9:15am.
I read it over, signed and faxed it back at 10am.
California security office called just a few minutes ago.
Polygraph scheduled for next Tuesday 10:30am. (yuck)

My biggest problem was that I didn't do my fiancial homework before retiring. Before I re-ER again in 2 years, I'll get my portfolio set up right and hopefully feel more comfortable.

Luckily the contract is for not-to-exceed 1000 hrs of consulting and the plan is 3 or so 5 week assignments or about 600hrs so I like that number better.

Now I can worry about something else.

OldAgePensioner said:
My biggest problem was that I didn't do my fiancial homework before retiring.  Before I re-ER again in 2 years, I'll get my portfolio set up right and hopefully feel more comfortable.

NO OFFENSE, but it seems to me that your biggest problem was not knowing how to not work. You have plenty of money and could easily readjust the portfolio in a couple of weeks.

As long as you are happy doing what you are doing that's great! But, I wouldn't want a newbie reading this to think that 2mil+ isn't enough to retire on.

Remember, you only live once and you can't take it with you...

Beachbumz  8)

Beach,
If you think $2mil is OK, go over and read the Expert thread.

It all depends on how a person wants to live. I envisioned a nice life with some traveling and pampering. That isn't what I got for $2mil. It was going to be looking out for every penny and living off f'n 4% if I was lucky. How sad is that?

Beachbumz said:
NO OFFENSE, but it seems to me that your biggest problem was not knowing how to not work. You have plenty of money and could easily readjust the portfolio in a couple of weeks.

As long as you are happy doing what you are doing that's great! But, I wouldn't want a newbie reading this to think that 2mil+ isn't enough to retire on.

Remember, you only live once and you can't take it with you...

Beachbumz  8)

I apologize in advance...at this point I just have to repeat myself once in a
while.  I only cracked 500K once in my life and my ex took half of that.
I IMMEDIATELY retired completely (1998).  No problem.  Just want to be sure
the "newbies" know it can be done.

JG

Since I started this thread,
I'll admit that this should not be considered as a normal ER board topic,

Just listen to UM2, Galt, Nords, th?, notth?,Martha, Charlie, etc.

Ignore my posts, I panicked just after retiring.

Ignore my posts, I panicked just after retiring.

No worries, OAP.  Panic is probably a very real part of the process for many people, no matter how big their nest egg is. 

Your story is instructive, especially FOR those of us who don't have the $2M you've got.  I expect to have FAR less, so it's doubly helpful to be reminded that I need to look INSIDE as well as outside before taking that leap o' faith.

Please keep us posted as to how THIS part of your experience goes!

Best of luck to you,
Caroline

Congratulations OAP. I hope you really enjoy your assignments.

Ha

OAP - diff between your situation and the 'expert' thread is primarily that they've got 3 young 'uns that they're going to have to put through college. Take them out of the equation and I doubt there are many here that would hesitate to tell them to make the leap.

You suffered too much change all at once, had too volatile a portfolio mix for you to feel good about without some compensation time, and maybe didnt give the whole thing long enough to settle in before you jumped back into your comfort zone.

Just Not, Notth, Th,
Yeah, you know, I should be more carefull with my posts. My situation is not a good example of ER. ER was my goal all my life. Not a day past 55 was my mantra. So I hope everyone who is thinking of retiring early sees me as an abberation not the norm.

And, early ER, repatriation after 20 years abroad and this market are all happening at once. In three months after leaving England, I have worked harder than I have ever in my career. I have 4 very close relatives/friends fighting for their lives and here I am scared by trivial things.

Lady friend left last week to live with family, California is trying to extort taxes, negotiating to end lease, carting belongings to Goodwill stores, so I really don't think my opinions/comments reflect what ER is all about. Lot of frustration/anger just now.

OAP
I'd like to throw my 2 mil worth into this thread. IMHO the whole point about being FI and thus able to RE is the choice to do so, not the requirement. Most people would be able to live off of the income from 2 million dollars, say $80,000 a year. To live large, however, its probably not enough. But you had a choice and you excercised that choice. Good for you. Live and enjoy your life, and the work assignments you have coming in the future. All the best. I'll look forward to reading you posts over the next two years.
Uncledrz

uncledrz,
Thanks and posting here has been great. Minimal hissing and booing.

Many posters have pointed to the problem. It's me. I grew up eating welfare handouts (cheese, dried beans, dried rice, etc) and day old (stale) bread at 10cents a loaf. My mom used make something she called "burger beans" and I could never quite spot the burger parts. It tasted good though (guess psychology was her forte).

Not quite the depression but listening to my mom talk about eating fatback biscuits for lunch, and scour the hills behind her house for coal, I got a bit of scar tissue to get over.

Unfortunately - you have posted here.

Your subconcious may now know you have the FI part of FIRE knocked.

So when you get back 'out there on the job' - you may discover 'your're not in Kansas anymore.'

Job or hobby or getting paid for the experience others go on vacation to see.

The mental shift may have occurred - you'll know when it happens.

mick,
Using the board to uncover my own ER situation is as you say; "unfortunate".

Yep

Now that you have the world by both cheeks - the F and the I part:

Try to keep a grip and stay humble.

Heh, heh, heh.

OldAgePensioner said:
Beach,
If you think $2mil is OK, go over and read the Expert thread.

It all depends on how a person wants to live.  I envisioned a nice life with some traveling and pampering.  That isn't what I got for $2mil.  It was going to be looking out  for every penny and living off f'n 4% if I was lucky.  How sad is that?

Yup, it all depends on how a person wants to live. 80k to me would be a nice life with pampering. (pampering = someone bringing me a cold beer)  :D

Hope you enjoy your renewal to the rat race!  :cool:

DOG50,
Yes, being served "beer", "cold beer", is the goal.

Back to the "working in the coal mine, goin down down...

ooops about a fifth down.

OAP,

Good luck. The amount of money to retire is, in the end, a personal choice. You have made your choice and it is the right one based on your preference and awareness.

Spanky

OldAgePensioner said:
My biggest problem was that I didn't do my fiancial homework before retiring.  Before I re-ER again in 2 years, I'll get my portfolio set up right and hopefully feel more comfortable.

Now I can worry about something else.
Keep in touch-- it'll be interesting to see what your new ER goal becomes in just 24 more months. A $3M portfolio? A less-volatile portfolio that still accomodates your personal inflation (not CPI)? Permanent part-time work? A paying hobby? Living in an area of the world that costs less than $80K/year for traveling & pampering?

You know that this board will happily delve into whatever asset allocation/portfolio diversification you deem satisfying to your requirements. Free of charge, with more analytical detail than you ever cared to consider.

Worrying doesn't end with ER. The difference is that you used to worry about work (and will again), but in ER you get to do all the worrying for yourself & family.

When you run out of things to worry about do then I recommend that you take up surfing. If you're here on Oahu then I'll be happy to help...

Nords,
I'm a "goofy" foot. Surfed Wrightsville Beach (Tilghman's Pier),NC and Sebastian's Inlet in FL. . So surfing for a 56 yo is really not off my agenda. Look out the window.

Dam, I remember cruising down to the beach and giving the oncoming drivers the "thumbs" up/down sign. Ahh, youth.

Where is my Milanta?

I'll definitelty be bugging you guys, many years. Cheers.

The happenings in London have been especially hard for me today.

The happenings in London have been especially hard for me today.

It is tragic for the deaths and their surviving family members and friends. The world has become more dangerous.

Spanky,
I know that my lady friend is OK there and yet the people of London just did not deserve this. Nor did we on 9/11.

I have tears pouring down my face. Good people, good everday London workers, ....

OAP,

What'll you do with all the extra money when in 2 years you find out that you want to retire to Thailand and only needed $1.5m to live like the royal family.

Just in case you're not sure, my vanguard account# is 23253389. If I see a sudden increase of $200k, i'll know who to send the thank you card to.

MJ said:
Just in case you're not sure, my vanguard account# is 23253389. If I see a sudden increase of $200k, i'll know who to send the thank you card to.

Umm, I think OAP might need your date of birth, social security number and a full legal name to transfer you the money. Go ahead and post that for him ;)

MJ,
I'm writing you into my will as of today. That ud be, Michael Jordan #23, gets $200k of the approximately $10 that I will have after all my womanizing during my 80 to 90 aged raving. I'm thinking of a rap career. Iced-OAP

OldAgePensioner said:
MJ,
I'm writing you into my will as of today. That ud be, Michael Jordan #23, gets $200k of the approximately $10 that I will have after all my womanizing during my 80 to 90 aged raving. I'm thinking of a rap career. Iced-OAP

OAP,

Darn, :-\ another ER dream dashed.
Oh well. Enjoy your late in life womanizing and musical career. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom