Offramp Update

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wellll... It would seem that after ignoring my last career offramp (a layoff notice last August that was rescinded at the last minute) another one has presented itself - and is accompanied by a big flaming freeway closure ahead. In other words after hanging onto my job for an additional 9 months Megacorp has made my decision for me and I'll be RIFed a month short of my 54th birthday. Same severance as when offered last August, but my NW is now about 8% higher and the pension I'll get at 55 is about 10% greater (not to mention the time I need to support myself before receiving said pension is now 40% shorter).

In a perfect world I'd have probably been fearful/greedy enough to stick it out OMY until 55, but the 9 month reprieve has made a difficult step much easier. Class of 2014 here I come.

Sounds like it all worked out just right for you - welcome to ER!

Color me envious. I hoped for a severance package last year that didn't materialize... and am now in the OMY phase.

Congratulations!

Sometimes events like a RIF force us out of a rut we knew we wanted out of but just didn't have the courage to act. Congrats!

Color me envious. I hoped for a severance package last year that didn't materialize... and am now in the OMY phase.

Congratulations!

+1. ( At some point, I will have to initiate my termination. :blush:)

Sounds like a Blessing to me! Enjoy your retirement!

Sometimes it's easier if the decision is made for us. I'll have to admit if I were terminated I would treat it as a windfall and happily move on.
Contrat's on this next step and best wishes

Congrats!
Too many are getting RIF'ed with little or nothing these days.

I too was offered severance last year ... but I declined ! And to make up for it I went into TWO more year syndrome. Now I spend half my time thankful that I declined and the other half kicking myself.

I think the RIF will be the best thing that ever happened to you. Congratulations on that little extra security that came along with those 9 additional months. Nice moves all around !

Congratulations! You will enjoy the next "phase" of your life a lot!

Back
Top Bottom