Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

On the road the early retirement-
Old 11-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

On the road the early retirement-

Hi All, I am new to the board and my first time posting.

I am 49 years old, married with 4 children. Two are in college, one in HS and an 8th grader. So, a few more years of college to pay for.

I currently have a net worth of $1.4M consisting of 401K, Pension Lump Sum and profit sharing accounts (Fidelity and JP Morgan). I am not counting the equity in my home which is $500K. I am not counting SS or an anticipated pension from my current employer.
No debt other than a mortgage that will be paid off in about 7 yrs. i plan to work at least 9 more years until my youngest gets through college.
If all goes as planned, I expect a yearly income in retirement of about $125,000 between the 2 pensions + SS and my nest egg to grow to about $2.5M - $3M by retirement.

A couple of questions:
1) for those of you that retire early, what are you doing for health insurance?
2) how much are your health care costs per year?
3) I feel I am on e right track to a successful early retirement. Any thoughts from the group here on what you see in my post?

THANKS, JOHNNTEXAS
JohnnTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have health insurance from my former employer but it costs about 3x's as much to be a retiree as it is to be an employee. We are paying 10,000/year for the 2 of us.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Administrator

Hi JohnnTexas, welcome aboard. Here are a few questions you might find helpful http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

You can find a good estimate of healthcare insurance costs on your state or federal health exchange. You can also use healthsherpa (here) or Valuepenguin (here)
Add out of pocket cost sharing and inflation and you can project future budget needs.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

Welcome JohnnTexas!

If you are planning to work until 58, you have a lot of time to continue to build your assets. Since you'll turn 50 next year, you can take advantage of the 401K "catch-up" to put more $$$ away pre-tax.

Also, if you have things lined up for whatever you plan to pay for college, don't feel like you have to keep working until they graduate. I realized during our youngest's freshman year that we had sufficient cash/529/etc. to pay the rest of the bills and that's when I decided to pull the ER trigger. So glad I didn't wait, but YMMV.

Lots of good info and helpful folks here, so jump in!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi JohnnTexas, welcome!

Looking forward to hearing thoughts as well. My wife and I are 3 years, God willing, from retiring at 55. Our biggest question is health care costs and potential of long term care if needed.
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote