Join Early Retirement Today

One Down & One to Go!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

One Down & One to Go!

Hi Everyone - I am 51 years old, married, and the proud father of two daughters. The eldest just graduated from UConn and was recently hired as a nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. The other is on her way to also major in nursing at UConn in a few weeks

WIth the support of my wife of 26 years, I enjoyed a career in international management and sales in the electronics industry for about 20 years. Seven years ago, when it was evident that my climb on the corporate ladder had a rung or two removed, I accepted an offer from my second employer to leave and I went back to school to get a degree in healthcare administration. We were fortunate that in the 1990's while living abroad we had company paid housing so we used the equity in our home to buy stock in semiconductor companies in the USA and Asia as this was the business I worked in and understood. I agree with those who tell you to only invest in those things you understand. Anyway... we did pretty well.

Today, we own our home outright, have no debt, and hope to retire when daughter #2 is launched. My portfolio is much more conservative these days relying heavily on the Vanguard Wellesley fund with Fidelity New Markets Income, PIMCO Income, PRIMECAP, Vanguard Energy, and XBI to spice things up. As Connecticut is a tax nightmare and my daughters appear to be moving elsewhere, we are looking for potential retirement locations in the mid atlantic area possibly on the Delmarva Peninsula perhaps Sussex County DE. Would be interested to know what people think of RE down there.

Glad to have the opportunity to share with this community!

KLINK
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't you be addressing your questions to Sgt. Schulz?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the site.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To the OP, I can't help but welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why? He'd reply "I know nothing, nothing".
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He would, but Sargent Schultz says he knows NoThing !

therefore he has to ask here on this forum
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Welcome Klink!

I spent some years working in semiconductor as a technician.
After those years I am now like Sgt. Schultz: "I know NOTHING!"

Which is why I come to the forum.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome,
as a fellow CT resident I agree on the state tax situation. Although I do not have any recommendations on where to move exactly, I also plan to leave CT as soon as retirement beckons to a more tax friendly location where retirement will be more affordable.

X501
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Klink! Wow, Johns Hopkins. I'm impressed. You must be so proud of her.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Velcome Col Klink!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #10

Welcome, Col Klink. Like you I am very conservative with my assets but you will find many participants on this website are not - which is OK because I have been learning from their valuable experience and feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
My portfolio is much more conservative these days relying heavily on the Vanguard Wellesley fund with Fidelity New Markets Income, PIMCO Income, PRIMECAP, Vanguard Energy, and XBI to spice things up.
KLINK
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
Welcome,
as a fellow CT resident I agree on the state tax situation. Although I do not have any recommendations on where to move exactly, I also plan to leave CT as soon as retirement beckons to a more tax friendly location where retirement will be more affordable.

X501
You could move to a lower tax state, but would you really want to live there just for that reason? I have been all over this country and there are many parts I could just not stand, regardless of how low the taxes were. I love Connecticut, and I think it's well worth the price to live here.

Anyway, wilkommen Col. Klink.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You could move to a lower tax state, but would you really want to live there just for that reason? I have been all over this country and there are many parts I could just not stand, regardless of how low the taxes were. I love Connecticut, and I think it's well worth the price to live here.
When I was on active duty, we really appreciated guys like you who were willing to live in New London so that we didn't have to...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #13

Welcome Klink. I'm also posted overseas, and have to admit that the benefits of an overseas posting can really help boost your savings, IF you live like you did before taking the posting. We have many friends who live high on the hog with their relatively high salaries and exorbitant cost of living allowances. In our case, the company also pays for housing, and we save nearly half of our COLA for vacations. Most of the salary goes straight to investments, with just a little for upkeep on our US home, property tax, and university costs that were not sufficiently prepared for the kids. Point is that so many either get sent home or go home after their stint overseas with no more than they started with, when they had a great opportunity to get a leg up. Also unfortunate is the fact that the spending habits they develop when they are overseas with buckets of play money tend to go home with them, thus they end up even worse of. So, my hat is off to you.

Again. Welcome.

R