One more time :)

ttvjef

Recycles dryer sheets
Well as it turns out I went back to w*k after “er” for 6 months. When I er’d, I left that position before I was ready, but the BS bucket overflowed, so I left a few bucks on the table ~ 20k, and that kind of haunted me. Of course 20k either way doesn’t make much if a difference to my FI but it nagged me. I got recruited to a sweet consultant job and have been here now for 3 ½ months. I’m an IT engineer so I’ve made the 20k plus and now the bs bucket’s starting to fill up again.
It’s ok to change your mind about ER. I had a nice intro and enjoyed the 6 months I was out. I'm 54 now, and due to start a pension in October that will mostly meet my expenses, spouse is still wo*king and will be till spring of 2018. With this new gig I got to travel a bit which I never did for wo*k before and it’s been fun but I’m getting ready to put in my papers.
I wanted to go out more gracefully this time though. Any consultants out three got any experience with that? I’m an at will worker so they can let me go at any time and I can let them go at any time as well.
Thanks-

Well as it turns out I went back to w*k after “er” for 6 months. When I er’d, I left that position before I was ready, but the BS bucket overflowed, so I left a few bucks on the table ~ 20k, and that kind of haunted me. Of course 20k either way doesn’t make much if a difference to my FI but it nagged me. I got recruited to a sweet consultant job and have been here now for 3 ½ months. I’m an IT engineer so I’ve made the 20k plus and now the bs bucket’s starting to fill up again.
It’s ok to change your mind about ER. I had a nice intro and enjoyed the 6 months I was out. I'm 54 now, and due to start a pension in October that will mostly meet my expenses, spouse is still wo*king and will be till spring of 2018. With this new gig I got to travel a bit which I never did for wo*k before and it’s been fun but I’m getting ready to put in my papers.
I wanted to go out more gracefully this time though. Any consultants out three got any experience with that? I’m an at will worker so they can let me go at any time and I can let them go at any time as well.
Thanks-

No advice to offer on the getting out a second time. I just wanted you to know that I failed at ER last year. I was and still am FI but 5 months into my ER last year I found myself busy physically but needing the mental challenge. I have been back for 10 months and I am loving it. Huge raise and great customer. Literally love 50% of the job. The other 50% isn't too bad. Padding all the accounts for most likely 2-3 years then I will try to ER again. Good luck to you.

I retired on a decent pension 2 1/2 years ago, and have been working 2 days a week at my old salary ever since. Like you, I could be let go any time, so have made the most of the opportunity. The [-]pitiful remainders after taxes [/-]extra salary has paid for a number of unexpected expenses (house, dental, medical).

As it happens, I enjoy what I'm doing (that's why they asked me back) and also like the current crop of "millennials" that I'm working with. If I didn't like either of those things, I would leave and probably never work again.

Amethyst - sounds nice. That is a situation I would luv to get into. I too would plan to hang in there a bit longer but the environment I'm in is not friendly. It's more or less a project that's closing down in about 18 months so I'm stuck with a bunch of crotchety doomsayers.
So far looks like I made it through another day :)

Back
Top Bottom