Join Early Retirement Today

Only 6 more months in the cubicle...
Old 03-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Only 6 more months in the cubicle...

Hi all,

I'm early 40s, consultant (software engineer), corporate cog for 15 years.

Six months until financial independence.

I was browsing the web for advice on "how to survive the final months" until retirement...and discovered this amazing community.

At this point, the anticipation is overwhelming--I just want September to get here already.

The community advice is to take each day as it comes, and focus on enjoying the present. Interestingly, that was much easier to do when my retirement date was many years away!

I'm grateful to connect with you all, and I look forward to engaging with the community.

Best,
GBG
GoBugGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
gone traveling

Thank God.I thought you were starting a thread about how we would all be dead in 6 months...
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Thank God.I thought you were starting a thread about how we would all be dead in 6 months...
Yes after publishing, I also saw the strange title

It's updated (and less scary) now.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You only have 6 months left, so act like it. Long term deliverable? Sure, buddy, I will backload that one. Performance review? Hah! Take your vacation time. Don't stress about the job. It will take a while for you to get there, but start the mental shift now.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You only have 6 months left, so act like it. Long term deliverable? Sure, buddy, I will backload that one. Performance review? Hah! Take your vacation time. Don't stress about the job. It will take a while for you to get there, but start the mental shift now.
Brewer, you get me! It's as if a fog has taken over my mind, and I can't focus on MegaCorp like I used to. And I'm now discovering that this mental fog seems to grow as my date gets closer.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBugGo View Post
Brewer, you get me! It's as if a fog has taken over my mind, and I can't focus on MegaCorp like I used to. And I'm now discovering that this mental fog seems to grow as my date gets closer.
Don't let it cause you stress. All of the stuff that has consumed you for all these years no longer matters. You are in the home stretch, so just cruise along and you will be done before you know it. In fact, one of the best things you can do is use this as a transition period.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Don't let it cause you stress. All of the stuff that has consumed you for all these years no longer matters. You are in the home stretch, so just cruise along and you will be done before you know it. In fact, one of the best things you can do is use this as a transition period.
+1

All that stuff goes away. It's still amazing to me how I was tied up in BS that really didn't matter.

My VP used to yell if we told him we were entering a change control and would fix a production problem as soon as the CC was approved. He was in the CC approval chain and had directed we MUST have a valid change control before changing a production system! We did what he ordered and he yelled.

WTF? He really told us the CC took zero time and we could change the production system at the same time as entering the CC.[emoji35] Today that's funny![emoji4]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
Administrator

Welcome, Bug. I second Brewer's recommendation. I spent my last six months handing off work to others and contemplating how very little they really needed me. Welcome to the best part of life.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! Use these last months to make sure all of your financials, health insurance, etc are prepared for retirement. Check with HR for necessary documents, use up personal/vacation days to help time pass. And it will pass quickly :-)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Welcome, Bug. I second Brewer's recommendation. I spent my last six months handing off work to others and contemplating how very little they really needed me. Welcome to the best part of life.
Wow I am so fortunate to be a part of this community. I don't talk about early retirement/FI with family or co-workers--they just don't relate to my frame of mind.

But now I FINALLY found a community that "gets" me.

I send a huge THANK YOU to each of you for responding. I truly appreciate all of these wise words.