Join Early Retirement Today

possible ER....
Old 08-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

possible ER....

Hi,
I posted before about concerns regarding missing the professional and social interactions that are enjoyable.

What I am realizing, though, and the question I ask myself is:
What do I want to do for the rest of my life?

That is a good question.
Still thinking.
Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ask yourself "What would I do if I won the lottery", or "what do I like to do with my time off". If the Dr. gave you some bad news tomorrow, would you be glad you stayed on?

If you like work, continue on. I am beginning to realize that work just takes up too much of my time. I just do not have enough of my life left to keep working.

Social interactions are great at work, but I never call anyone from work on the weekends. And if the interactions are that good, it can continue after work.

Only 333 days left, and I am struggling to come up with a reason why not to leave today...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Only 333 days left, and I am struggling to come up with a reason why not to leave today...
The only reason to stay could come up with was "mo' money". But even though I have made a bunch in the stock market and and was employed by the military/industrial complex for many years, I guess I'm just not that good a capitalist. Enough was enough.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

what to do with the rest of your life? enjoy it - that's what I plan on doing
Old 08-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Make two lists. What I can't do because I am working? and What I will be able to do once I stop working?. This will give you clear picture what will work best for you. Each person have different dreams, so no one really can answer it for you. For me retirement is a total freedom how to enjoy my precious time on earth.
emerytura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

I have the general opinion that any bad day not at work is still better than a good day at work. I'm on that last year and it tougher as the end draws closer to be excited about much work related.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Regardless of whether one is in their 40s, like me, or 60s, like Eileen, trying to decide exactly how best to spend the rest of our lives can be quite a challenge. I've been reading How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free just recently, and that has given me some new things to think about and helped to broaden my perspective on what's needed for a fulfilling post-work life. I think it's also helpful to realize that life is short and you only get one chance at it, so try to focus on doing things that will make you happy as often as possible. For me, it's things like traveling and learning new skills and making new friends. If you ever find yourself debating or fretting about whether you should do something a little scary or "outside the box", realize that a) whatever you're anxious about right now won't matter one whit once you're dead and b) life's most exquisite and rewarding moments often come from experiences we only get once we've stepped outside our comfort zone.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

+1 on Sojourner's suggestion. Another one of Zelinski's books is also helpful - The Joy of Not Working.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
b) life's most exquisite and rewarding moments often come from experiences we only get once we've stepped outside our comfort zone.
I do want to avoid becoming homeless and/or dependent for as long as possible though ..

Might pick up the book though.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks.
That's a good idea about list making.
I already know that a full day at work usually gets me tired so that I don't do as much in the evenings as I would like to do. Then I tend to put things off till I have days off for vacation and get used to having a lot of time to do whatever I want /need to do.
Sometimes, it just comes down to 'having time' .....
Old 08-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I FIREd on July 10th of this year. I volunteer twice a week walking dogs at a couple of animal rescue shelters. On other days, I hike, run bicycle or be spontaneous and go to somewhere I read about in the morning paper.

To have the freedom to do what I want when I want to is why I retired.
Greathusky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Maybe consider p.t. consulting in your field as a way to have the best of both worlds. Stress goes way down because you really are your own boss.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes ... I am looking into the part time as well. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
What I am realizing, though, and the question I ask myself is:
What do I want to do for the rest of my life?

That is a good question.
Still thinking.
Hi Eileen,

I firmly believe this is a critical life question, regardless of FI or ER! I wish more people would ask these questions and listen over a period of time for the answers.

Keep in mind that the answers are likely to change over the decades. The wonder of FI is that you can afford to act on these answers instead of just talking about pursuing your dreams, all sizzle, no steak. When the answer changes, you can afford to keep changing with the times.

Good luck, you're off to a good start by asking the right questions!

FB
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

My DW is struggling with this question right now trying to decide whether to announce, in a couple of months, her intent to retire at the end of the year. It doesn't seem to help that I have been happily ER'd for the last 4 yrs.

As many have said in on this site, it is good to both have a reason to leave w*rk and a to have something to retire to.

Once thing to consider is whether you have been a self-starter most of your life or whether to go to w*rk and people tell you what to do. Self-starters tend to do well in retirement even if they don't have a detailed plan ahead of time.

One thing I always tell people is, retirement is not like vacation. So whatever you do, don't make a retirement list that looks like a vacation list. There are things you will check off and do in the first 3-6 months. After that, you are really starting a new phase in your life.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't know where I read or heard this comment, but it resonates with me:

You have to retire from something to something.

Have you ever heard of the book StrengthsFinder. I have not read the book, but plan on doing so because I know that I'll need to find some vocations that keep me connected, engaged, and learning.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you.
I do have the Zelinski book but have not heard of StrengthsFinder. I do have some ideas of what I would do, but it's also true that some additional things I'll want to do will only become clear as time goes on.
I think that going part time or retiring entirely will depend upon the ongoing workload and overall stress, no matter how much I feel I like the work, people at work, etc.
I will just have to let things settle and see how things turn out as the weeks/months go on. It'll be clear eventually!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I put both of the Zelinski books on hold at my library just now.
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Eileen,

I have been struggling with the same issue with regards to how I would spend my time in retirement, have read about 7 books now, and the last book I read was by Mitch Anthony (2014) - The New Retirementality. This book was a bit of an eye opened for me. The book discussed the fact that so many people work at a job they hate or don't enjoy doing for 20-30 years, waiting for the day they can retire. if you love your job or enjoy what you do every day, why would you want to retire ? Now that I have been recently laid off, reality is setting in, and I am taking some time trying to figure out what I want to do next.
rpguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We also have some friends that unfortunately in their early 60's have illnesses/disabilities that make is so that they can't drive so we take them on errands, etc. WE also do some volunteer work. 3 years into this it has taken us time to figure this out. I always have some days where nothing is planned otherwise it is too much like working f.t. I tried to send you a private message but it looked like it did not go though. I don't know why.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote