Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My purpose in life has been to serve as a cautionary example for others. I feel I have succeeded.
And we really appreciate it!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I am quite an avid health nut though (nutritionally and working out daily), I try to see a local band at least once every couple weeks, and I am planning on restarting my mountain biking now that the weather is warming up.
If you live in a populated area with mountains, there are likely mountain biking clubs. Our area has all sorts of clubs and meetup groups. Some that either our friends or we belong to include wine tasting, garden, photography, golf, dinners out, world event discussions, writing, astronomy, opera, boating, cooking, hiking, golf, camping, and gold panning. Many also do volunteer work. Sports like golf, pickle ball and bocce ball are big among retirees.

We usually go out to see bands or live theater 2 - 3 times a week, plus have club activities, go hiking, take day trips and visit with our friends and adult kids. You're rich - you can do something really fun every day of the week if you want to.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
Laziness, complacency, malaise.
I noticed you typed out those self-criticisms and the source of that may be what's tripping you up.
It's very hard to ditch that drive that you had in the corporate life.
Was there any particular task or accomplishment that you made when working that you found particularly satisfying in recent years?
Perhaps you can channel that into something that you find satisfying.
As an example, I enjoy making things. It doesn't really matter what it is as long as I'm creating or building or designing something.
I feel like you do when I let things get me down and I get away from my creative side.
Quite insightful.

I do do things as hobbies that echo things I enjoyed at work, namely tinkering with measurements, settings, etc. to calibrate my home theater's audio and video.
One of the big things I enjoyed at work was just working with people and being part of something you build together. This is ironic as while I am outgoing, I am also quite an introvert, and thus joining clubs or groups isn't something I gravitate to. Something about the initial awkwardness of it all always turns me off. I prefer to meet people organically/naturally but I may need to get over that.

I agree about the creative side comment - I'm happier when I'm doing creative things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One of my most gratifying accomplishments in life was learning to "be" rather than "do".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My dad went through this for the remainder of his life after retirement. He held several fairly menial j*bs but enjoyed them. Each of us gets our life-fulfillment from different activities and different callings.

I guess you need to start with the fact that you don't need more money. From there, you'll have to go with your gut about what brings you fulfillment. Nothing wrong with taking a j*b in retirement. It's your life.

I just never had that problem. I adapted quickly to Life After Fire but YMMV.
I don't think I am like your father - the work ethic that is instilled in me is purely thinking, but thus far has not been strong enough to motivate me to start working in my retirement.

I think I'm finally (after 2 years) starting to adapt to life after fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
If you live in a populated area with mountains, there are likely mountain biking clubs. Our area has all sorts of clubs and meetup groups. Some that either our friends or we belong to include wine tasting, garden, photography, golf, dinners out, world event discussions, writing, astronomy, opera, boating, cooking, hiking, golf, camping, and gold panning. Many also do volunteer work. Sports like golf, pickle ball and bocce ball are big among retirees.

We usually go out to see bands or live theater 2 - 3 times a week, plus have club activities, go hiking, take day trips and visit with our friends and adult kids. You're rich - you can do something really fun every day of the week if you want to.
I don't live near mountains, but yes there are lots of clubs around (I'm near Toronto, so big city brings lots of options).

I guess day-to-day life is still mostly the same for me from when I was working (I worked at home a lot). The only difference of course is I'm not bound to the office and to my desk chair, but my kids are still in high school, require pickups/drives as they don't have their licenses yet.
Also, I usually drop in on my mother daily as she lives alone now in the same house (10 minute drive away) that she lived in with my father, so I spend an hour or two with her keeping her company or running errands with her.

All of this keeps me in "work" mode, and not full retirement mode in the sense that I feel I am free to just go do what I want at any point in time of the day - albeit, with some better time organization, I do have a lot of time still for my own stuff throughout the day.

I need to start planning some more biking activities and maybe cut out some time for getting back into learning music.
Sittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess day-to-day life is still mostly the same for me from when I was working (I worked at home a lot). The only difference of course is I'm not bound to the office and to my desk chair, but my kids are still in high school, require pickups/drives as they don't have their licenses yet.
Also, I usually drop in on my mother daily as she lives alone now in the same house (10 minute drive away) that she lived in with my father, so I spend an hour or two with her keeping her company or running errands with her.

All of this keeps me in "work" mode, and not full retirement mode in the sense that I feel I am free to just go do what I want at any point in time of the day - albeit, with some better time organization, I do have a lot of time still for my own stuff throughout the day.

I need to start planning some more biking activities and maybe cut out some time for getting back into learning music.

It sounds like your kids will be driving before too long and for us that really freed up a lot of time. Or even when some of their friends started driving the other moms would pay those kids to do the car pools. Until then spending time with your mom and kids seems like a great use of your ER free time! Our kids are grown up now and live in different cities so we really look forward to the times when we do get together.

We find it pretty easy to putter the day away unless we plan chores and fun activities out ahead of time and put those in the the weekly planner. I like having the activities planned out in the calendar because then we always have fun things to look forward to. The anticipation is part of the fun - Anticipation Is Part of Being a Fan, and That’s a Good Thing | Psychology Today (Counting the days until the next live concert can produce months of anticipation, with every day crossed off on the calendar bringing another burst of dopamine. )
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:40 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm the opposite - I hate planning. Having things on the calendar fills me with dread because they put restrictions on my time even if I'm the one who put them there. I retired specifically so that I can be spontaneous and do whatever I want each day. For example, last Sunday morning I woke up and the forecast at home was rain for the next few days. I checked other places in an 8 hour radius and found it would be nice in eastern Tennessee so I loaded a motorcycle in the back of my truck, drove there, and got a cabin. I spent Sunday afternoon, Monday, and yesterday riding beautiful mountain roads. The forecast here today is rain so I'll load up and head towards home, maybe stopping for a day or two somewhere along the way. I'd be unhappy if something on a calendar got in the way of my spontaneity.
punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Sittler27, I understand where you're coming from. I was telling my wife recently "We've done a great job of removing the alligators from the swamp (life obstacles), but I'm still not sure I'm figuring out what's fulfilling me". Should I be doing more volunteering? Should I focus on my health more? Travel more? Travel less? So many things to think about.

The silver lining to all of this is that you're thinking about it. Many live their lives dully and not examined. Keep thinking about it. You'll get there. I hope to, too One thing that has helped me is I've kept a log of "Things I like or am good at". Occasionally I reference that list. On that list for me is learning Jiu-Jitsu. Franky I've been too lazy to go to the first class, but at least I know the obstacle - laziness - and not a lack of interests. Maybe this will be the week...
arcyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It sounds like your kids will be driving before too long and for us that really freed up a lot of time. Or even when some of their friends started driving the other moms would pay those kids to do the car pools. Until then spending time with your mom and kids seems like a great use of your ER free time! Our kids are grown up now and live in different cities so we really look forward to the times when we do get together.

We find it pretty easy to putter the day away unless we plan chores and fun activities out ahead of time and put those in the the weekly planner. I like having the activities planned out in the calendar because then we always have fun things to look forward to. The anticipation is part of the fun - Anticipation Is Part of Being a Fan, and That’s a Good Thing | Psychology Today (Counting the days until the next live concert can produce months of anticipation, with every day crossed off on the calendar bringing another burst of dopamine. )
I can see where it's going to free up time when at least one of them starts driving, but hasn't happened quite yet. My oldest is 17 and doesn't have any interest in getting her license; my youngest will be jumping on it in Oct.

I have 4 concerts already lined up for this summer - can't wait - you are right, the anticipation is part of the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinhead View Post
I'm the opposite - I hate planning. Having things on the calendar fills me with dread because they put restrictions on my time even if I'm the one who put them there. I retired specifically so that I can be spontaneous and do whatever I want each day. For example, last Sunday morning I woke up and the forecast at home was rain for the next few days. I checked other places in an 8 hour radius and found it would be nice in eastern Tennessee so I loaded a motorcycle in the back of my truck, drove there, and got a cabin. I spent Sunday afternoon, Monday, and yesterday riding beautiful mountain roads. The forecast here today is rain so I'll load up and head towards home, maybe stopping for a day or two somewhere along the way. I'd be unhappy if something on a calendar got in the way of my spontaneity.
I think I'm more of a planner for sure - but my wife is more like you! Happy wife, happy life so I guess I'll have to continue being Mr spontaneity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcyallen View Post
Sittler27, I understand where you're coming from. I was telling my wife recently "We've done a great job of removing the alligators from the swamp (life obstacles), but I'm still not sure I'm figuring out what's fulfilling me". Should I be doing more volunteering? Should I focus on my health more? Travel more? Travel less? So many things to think about.

The silver lining to all of this is that you're thinking about it. Many live their lives dully and not examined. Keep thinking about it. You'll get there. I hope to, too One thing that has helped me is I've kept a log of "Things I like or am good at". Occasionally I reference that list. On that list for me is learning Jiu-Jitsu. Franky I've been too lazy to go to the first class, but at least I know the obstacle - laziness - and not a lack of interests. Maybe this will be the week...
So true - great way to think about it.
I really think hearing everything in this thread right now - it's making me feel I'm not alone, and also giving me some great ideas including a key one: to just relax and enjoy where I'm at more instead of focusing on why I still have this underlying feeling of go-go-go (lingering from my work days).
Sittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Quite insightful.

I do do things as hobbies that echo things I enjoyed at work, namely tinkering with measurements, settings, etc. to calibrate my home theater's audio and video.
One of the big things I enjoyed at work was just working with people and being part of something you build together. This is ironic as while I am outgoing, I am also quite an introvert, and thus joining clubs or groups isn't something I gravitate to. Something about the initial awkwardness of it all always turns me off. I prefer to meet people organically/naturally but I may need to get over that.

I agree about the creative side comment - I'm happier when I'm doing creative things....
As someone who's similarly introverted but outgoing, I find that signing up for a structured group activity is a good way for me to meet people and get enough socializing in without going overboard. I enjoy volunteering through AARP Tax-Aide and being an election poll worker, but you might enjoy building houses with Habitat for Humanity, advising a robotics club or boy scout troop, teaching an adult ed class, etc.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I'm more of a planner for sure - but my wife is more like you! Happy wife, happy life so I guess I'll have to continue being Mr spontaneity.
We have a monthly plan but except for events with limited ticket deals or plans with friends we keep it pretty loose. We don't sign up for any classes or sports leagues that require commitments and instead do mostly drop in activities. But events like taking the ferry to a restaurant across the bay for lunch, we just wouldn't do things that require an early start and take all day if we didn't plan things out in advance. We also like to take advantage of rush tickets and seat filler deals when they pop up, so we start out with a plan and then it always changes during the month.

Livenation has specials starting today - $25 all in tickets to many summer concerts.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Having goals, challenges and a social network took care of the mental side for me in retirement.
I do a long distance bike event every year that requires a fairly strict routine of training in order to finish.
I work 4-5 days a month at a winery (a passion I’ve had for a long time) learning new things everyday.
We go out with people or have people over every week and we’ve made many new friends.

I don’t really think too much about “why” anymore, we just “do”.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Post-Retirement Struggles for Someone Who Should have None
Old 05-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #31

Post-Retirement Struggles for Someone Who Should have None

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post
Life has no purpose. You make what you want to make of it. In the end it doesn't matter.

This is what I was formulating and I cannot improve on it. Similarly, someone made an impression on me who said, “You know, no one is going to remember you or anything you did in 50-100 years from now.” He meant it as a liberating comment, like “…So go enjoy yourself.”
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Life has no purpose. You make what you want to make of it. In the end it doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
This is what I was formulating and I cannot improve on it. Similarly, someone made an impression on me who said, “You know, no one is going to remember you or anything you did in 50-100 years from now.” He meant it as a liberating comment, like “…So go enjoy yourself.”
Sorry. I just can't agree. If nothing else, making a difference in my kid's lives makes my life have meaning and purpose. I'm now doing the same for my grand kids.

My grandparents were born in 1880. I still remember them as if I saw them last week. I know what a difference their love and care provided to my mom. As far as I am concerned, their lives had purpose (meaning).

It's true that all but a few of us who have gained either fame or infamy will be forgotten within 3 or 4 generations, but that doesn't mean lives ddidn't have purpose - okay, arguably.

Not worth a food fight but that's one man's opinion. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's what I believe:
Few of us have the chance to make historic level changes to the world.

But each of us in a small way can change things for centuries beyond.

It may be every day, week or month, or maybe just once in one's lifetime, a smile, a touch, a vote of encouragement to a stranger impacts their life.

We're all made up of a huge mosaic of experiences and people who, just by perhaps a few seconds have been lifted up or brought down. They in turn pass along that tiny mosaic tile to someone else.

You never know; something you said to someone years ago just slightly influences their decision on life or death. They go on and then influence someone else and they in turn someone else who may 100 years from now does something very important. Your small tile, in the tiniest of ways, contributed to that success.

A little bit of "Its a Wonderful Life " ....

But I'm rambling now...time for a second Scotch and the Bruins game.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No helpful advice here, only posting to say that you suffer from what many of us experience in life - figuring out what you want to be when you grow up. Best wishes in your search.
+1
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

This leaves me much time to continue to ponder my existential purpose in life, and I often wonder if I am destined for something more than just my primary duties, working out and my other hobbies...
Welcome aboard & thank you for sharing your story. I know the feeling exactly. We have all worked hard to earn this free time, now that we have it what's the best use of it? I have asked myself many times if I'm taking advantage of this short time on this spinning rock. I don't know the answer. It's probably going to take much experimenting to find out.

Good luck & it will be ok.
young-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Read The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Puts anyone’s life into perspective.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #37

Quote:
I guess we all have to decide whether life has purpose and what purpose that would be. As a minimum, I submit that most people consider their offspring as a source of purpose. Of course, not everyone has children. I think I would be depressed if I believed life had no purpose but I make no judgement about anyone else's belief on this subject so YMMV.
IMHO, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to talk about someone's "purpose" in life. A knife has a purpose: to cut things. A fence has a purpose: to keep things in or out of your yard. But a person—and a person's life—does not have a purpose. We don't exist to do specific things or to serve a specific function. We exist because, well, we were born and one day we'll die. The real question is, what can we do with our brief time on this earth to achieve happiness and fulfillment? On that score, I have no easy answers and doubt anyone else does, either.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^^^

I respectfully submit that we "discover" our purpose in life, just as we discover our favorite foods, our favorite activities, our friends, our mates. We may only know our "purpose" in the rear view mirror.

I mentioned kids as purpose. I also mentioned my c@reer. I never got much credit, but I made a difference in a megacorp of 25K people. I think that reveals a purpose (admittedly, in hind sight.)

NOT worth an argument as we all have our own philosophies of life and no one can tell another what their purpose is or if they have one or not. Just an interesting comparison of what we think about our existence so YMMV.

No right or wrong - just different.

Sheeeesh! How did we get here?

Old 05-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

This! Somebody mentioned spirituality. To me, the human urge to make things is proof of our tiny spark of the Divine (however one pictures that).

Also, for me, getting into funny conversations with people, including (maybe especially) complete strangers. If I have made somebody - young, old, or inbetween - laugh because I showed them a different way of looking at a word, a thing, a situation, I have done my job for the day. Too bad I can't "set out" to do this; it has to just arise during the conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
LPerhaps you can channel that into something that you find satisfying.
As an example, I enjoy making things. It doesn't really matter what it is as long as I'm creating or building or designing something.
I feel like you do when I let things get me down and I get away from my creative side.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Sorry. I just can't agree. If nothing else, making a difference in my kid's lives makes my life have meaning and purpose. I'm now doing the same for my grand kids.

My grandparents were born in 1880. I still remember them as if I saw them last week. I know what a difference their love and care provided to my mom. As far as I am concerned, their lives had purpose (meaning).

It's true that all but a few of us who have gained either fame or infamy will be forgotten within 3 or 4 generations, but that doesn't mean lives ddidn't have purpose - okay, arguably.

Not worth a food fight but that's one man's opinion. As always, YMMV.

Not fighting, either! I just think there’s a lot of unnecessary stress that comes from “WHAT IS MY PURPOSE?!”, as if we’re all supposed to find some stone tablets on a mountain top and live a life that gets a state park named after us. Look at all the pressuring messages we put on graduating students this time of year. “If you can dream it, you can be it,” yada, yada. How about, “You’re good enough exactly as you are”?

The vast majority of us never will have such a PURPOSE, so avoid the stress, chill, and instead seek daily ENJOYMENT, FULFILLMENT in contributions and service to others (especially our kids and parents) and in achievements large and small, even if no one remembers you in 50 years. That’s all I meant.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote