Join Early Retirement Today

prbob says hi!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

prbob says hi!

Hello everyone. I have been reading this board for a few months and have enjoyed the posts. I am now in a position to consider ER now that the last of our 5 kids have graduated. (extended family)

Brief background. I am 57 and married. My background has been on the financial side of companies in manufacturing and credit card processing and reporting. I am now trying to figure out what I am going to do when I grow up. It's funny but in all my musings about ER, I never really gave that much thought of what I wanted to do other than I would not have to do anything. Oh well, I got to work on that one.

Hopefully, some of my posts will add value to this board and I know I will learn alot from the members.
prbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: prbob says hi!
Old 03-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #2

Welcome prbob!

If you have not given a lot of thought of what you'll do, what are your interests outside of work?

If you have not seen the movie "About Schimdt" with Jack Nicholson, I highly recommend it. It is a story about a man that retires with no clue about what he will do. Millions of Americans in this situation.

Has been a real eye-opener to a few on this forum.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #3

Thanks Cut Throat. I vaguely remember seeing this movie some time ago. I have a wide range of activities that can keep me busy. Over the past few years, I definitely got out of the mode that my job is my life.

I view myself as a pessimistic optimist so part of my thinking process is trying to determine if I want to continue working to add a higher degree of safety to my ER or just to go ahead and do it. Right now, I am looking at Sept as my starting date of ER. I am leaning to maybe doing a sabbitical for a year before I really make up my mind. I am still in the "thinking" phase and fortunately, have the luxury of making up my mind on my time schedule instead of someone else's ( if you exclude my wife's opinion which is to do ER tomorrow.)

Old 03-04-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's what I did. A one-year sabbatical. I enjoyed it so much I decided to stretch it to two years. I plan to reevaluate every year for the next 25 years, when I finally retire
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:05 AM   #5

Hello prbob! I'm with your wife

John Galt
:)Re: prbob says hi!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #6

:)Re: prbob says hi!

Quote:
LoL--How's that for an incentive to ER? *(Keeping John Galt from being "with your wife"). :
I'm pretty sure if my wife and John Galt were together, one of them would kill the other one.

No offense, John. It's just that she's at least as stubborn and sure of herself as you are.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, I sense a "take my wife...please!" coming on...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:20 AM   #8

Hello salaryguru! No one is as stubborn and sure of themselves as I am. Oops. Guess I made your point

John Galt
Old 03-06-2004, 02:37 AM   #9

Welcome prbob!

As you can see this board definately needs a HUMOR forum not to mention an ACRONYM or glossary forum.

I'm forum.

BUM
Old 03-06-2004, 04:17 PM   #10

Speaking of acronyms, one organization I belong to
holds a dinner meeting called 'Sure Happy
It's Thursday'. I'm not making this stuff up.

John Galt
Old 03-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of the following...

TO: ALL EMPLOYEES
FR: MANAGEMENT
RE: SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING

In order to assure the highest levels of quality work and productivity from employees, it will be our policy to keep all employees well trained through our program of SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (S.H.I.T.). We are trying to give employees more S.H.I.T. than anyone else.

If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T. on the job, please see your manager. You will be immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T. list, and our managers are especially skilled at seeing that you get all the S.H.I.T. you can handle.

Employees who don't take their S.H.I.T. will be placed in DEPARTMENTAL EMPLOYEE EVALUATION PROGRAMS (D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T.). Those who fail to take D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T. seriously will have to go to EMPLOYEE ATTITUDE TRAINING (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.). Since our managers took S.H.I.T. before they were promoted, they don't have to do S.H.I.T. anymore, and are all full of S.H.I.T. already.

If you are full of S.H.I.T., you may be interested in a job training others. We can add your name to our BASIC UNDERSTANDING LECTURE LIST (B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T.). Those who are full of B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T. will get the S.H.I.T. jobs, and can apply for promotion to DIRECTOR OF INTENSITY PROGRAMMING (D.I.P. S.H.I.T.).

If you have further questions, please direct them to our HEAD OF TRAINING, SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (H.O.T. S.H.I.T.).

Thank you,

BOSS IN GENERAL
SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING
(B.I.G. S.H.I.T.)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #12

TH,

My wife and I just finished reading this post and are literally in tears and rolling on the floor laughing our asses off.

Of course if we had not spent 30 years in the workplace, we would not appreciate this.

Delicious!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hey, when we say you get a lot of value for your dollar here, we mean business.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Hi prbob!!

This is what we in the business call a "thread hijacking".
Old 03-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #14

Well everyone, I did not think joining this board was going to be easy.

John, "reasonable person" prevents me from relaying my wife's comments to you :-).

At work, we have what is called a skill lab. This can be called by anyone and requires us to go to an outside establishment (IE, bar, tavern, pub, etc.) We increase our skills during this period and this skill lab is generally viewed as the single greatest aspect of work. The longer we are at these labs, the greater our skill becomes.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi prbob & welcome!

I'm with the wife on this one... ER tomorrow. I'm sure you've had all the S.H.I.T. you care to take.