Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pretty much retired for over a year...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pretty much retired for over a year...

(just turned 63) but have not started to draw on any SS, pension or IRA's. This site seems to have a wealth of info on the various approaches to optimizing income for the retirement years and I'm looking forward to digging into it. I do get a lot of invites to lunch/dinner for presentations on retirement strategies and wonder if they are worth the time or are simply investment adviser marketing ploys.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

I have been to a few 'free' diners. They are sales presentations, relatively painless, and actually free.

After you get the information, go home and validate it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have been to a few 'free' diners. They are sales presentations, relatively painless, and actually free.

After you get the information, go home and validate it.

After you get the information, go home and throw it away.

Then be prepared for follow up calls.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go eat the free dinner and don't get any information. That way you aren't tempted. :-)
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ain't no free lunch, or dinner either. If you go just realize the dinner is a marketing tactic. Some folks like this stuff, my FIL/MIL used to go to any free timeshare pitches, FAs..... take their free stays/meals and laugh all the way home.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

My Father & Mother used to take the free bus trips to Atlantic City, walk along the boardwalk, have the free buffet, then cash in the $30.00 in chips and go home!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ain't no free lunch, or dinner either. If you go just realize the dinner is a marketing tactic. Some folks like this stuff, my FIL/MIL used to go to any free timeshare pitches, FAs..... take their free stays/meals and laugh all the way home.

Has anybody received an invitation from Personal Capital? I live in the bay area, and they invite d me to a yaht cruise in SF - Wine, Hors d'Oeuvres and dancing to some live bands, it says..
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote