Join Early Retirement Today

Pulled the plug yesterday!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pulled the plug yesterday!

Hi everyone... wife is retiring at the end of August from Education at 58, I just turned 62 and notified my company yesterday that I'm outta here 12/31.

Very appreciative of this forum. Finding Firecalc really helped me make the decision. It's one of the best retirement tools I found. Several visits with accountant and FP and couldn't come up with any compelling reason to stay on till 65.

DW and I are planning to be comfortable with 101k income from pensions, SS and a SWP of 4%. Expenses at the high end 60k. No debt. Taxes about 11k, so we'll have about 3k a month discretionary. Her health insurance covers us both. No kids or extended family, so we can adjust SWP and expenses as needed.

Scary as hell about missing the 'action' and the people at work, but I plan to establish a routine quickly. Love my job, but I oversee a company with 70 employees and I won't miss the drama and the misbehavior in the workplace and all the associated people problems.

Cheers... Bob
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
gone traveling

You sound elated. Congrats and welcome to the forums.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

Congrats!
I think the word is giddy!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations ! Moving to the new routine will be easier than you think !
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Well done.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, Bob. I'm in Bosque County counting down.

Alan
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
Congratulations, Bob. I'm in Bosque County counting down.

Alan

hi Alan.. small world! when's your due date?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Congratulations ! I wish you and your wife a wonderful new life !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

Congrats!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

thanks for all the kind words... lots still to do to get ready, including IRA conversions, applying for the SS, pension elections etc....... counting down
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going to 55 1/2 due to medical retiree benefits, so that's Jan. 1 2017. I keep telling myself how fast this time will go by.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Now, you can spend all your day tailgating. Such a wonderful feeling knowing that all the sacrifices and preparations (intentionally or otherwise) along the way culminated in you and DW at the cusp of FIRE!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! You have more than enough financial resources to enjoy retirement
Brooks Saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #14

Great job ! Please keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

VG! We did similar at age 55, waited 3 more yrs till we only needed 3% from our Savings.. just to be sure..
because once we sold our 2 little Businesses, there would be no turning back..

Maybe you can Join in lobbying so we can have at least our Taxable Investment $ be Earned Income? It's a Part Time Job for me, so I Earn it! I want to Keep Hiding it from future taxes in my Roth..and IRA like Mitt Romney does!
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #16

Congratulations! You gave them a lot of notice. I hope they are appreciative of that. And more importantly, I hope they don't use the next few months to talk you out of it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
gone traveling

You and your DW are slightly younger than DW and I, but your income level and expenses are pretty close to where ours are, with our retirement to be covered by IRA/SS/small pension, with a 2.5% SWR. I am not planning to claim SS before FRA or possibly beyond. Good luck, life is wonderful.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #18

Congratulations! Everything in your post sounds exactly like our experience/situation except the wife and I both retired from academia.

I do miss the daily social connection with my friends in the department. I was on the selection committee that hired them so I was sure they would all be compatable and professional. I have the opportunity to drop in and see them on occasion when I take classes for fun. That tends to make the adjustment a little easier as well as pursue interests I didn't have time for in the past.

The administration not so much. I'm glad not to be annoyed anymore by their political shenanigans. That puts a smile on my face.

You should have lots to do with your available time now that you have taken care of financial concerns.

Today I get to take my grandson to see a movie before he has to start back to school. Later I'll grill some steaks, tend to the veggie garden, have a beer and watch the watermelons grow before I make plans for our next travel.

You and your wife are going to have some fun!

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Congratulations! Everything in your post sounds exactly like our experience/situation except the wife and I both retired from academia.

I do miss the daily social connection with my friends in the department. I was on the selection committee that hired them so I was sure they would all be compatable and professional. I have the opportunity to drop in and see them on occasion when I take classes for fun. That tends to make the adjustment a little easier as well as pursue interests I didn't have time for in the past.

The administration not so much. I'm glad not to be annoyed anymore by their political shenanigans. That puts a smile on my face.

You should have lots to do with your available time now that you have taken care of financial concerns.

Today I get to take my grandson to see a movie before he has to start back to school. Later I'll grill some steaks, tend to the veggie garden, have a beer and watch the watermelons grow before I make plans for our next travel.

You and your wife are going to have some fun!

Cheers!
wow.. sounds like a fun day! Especially with the grandson. We don't have children, so we lack that opportunity.. wish the local library had a lending program for kids .. check em out for a day or two and then turn them back in ... I'll probably just volunteer...
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
wow.. sounds like a fun day! Especially with the grandson. We don't have children, so we lack that opportunity.. wish the local library had a lending program for kids .. check em out for a day or two and then turn them back in ... I'll probably just volunteer...
Bob,
Volunteering can be a lot of fun and a good way to meet new friends. I volunteer at the local PBS station for a Saturday morning radio show for the blind. Lots of fun and good folks. Look around and you will find something that is just as rewarding for you.

If you like kids then maybe assisting a coach for swimming, soccer, little league, cross country, football, etc. I have no experience in that and don't know if it gets too political and then not fun but it's a thought to look into.

My only frustration is that I need a few hundred more years to try everything that I want to do.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote